Startling Realization

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Startling Realization
I just realized this morning - that I'm in the closet..........

Sorta....

I've got a new neighbor who moved in about 2 years ago (around here, that qualifies as new) --- and he stopped in today whilst I was working out in the barn...... He'd just had back surgery a couple weeks ago - and is supposed to walk a couple miles twice a day. It's pretty warm, so he stopped in to say "hi" and take a break....

We got to talking about stuff - -and a couple of times he brought up his xtianity.....

He's a nice enough old guy - and he's a baptist minister -- and he was up till a few years ago - working as a missionary in the Philippines.....

I realized that he doesn't know I'm an atheist..... I guess nobody thought to tell him.....

He knows my dad goes to one of the local churches - and used to be a board member at another church --- so I'm guessing he assumes I'm a xtian as well......

So am I being a prick - not telling him?

There's a small part of my brain that tells me that it's sorta like a prosecutor holding back information in a trial to be used later and that I'm holding an unfair advantage on the old guy......

Another part says "sorry sucker -- that's what you get for assuming"....

Consider

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2016, 08:57 AM
RE: Startling Realization
You're doing nothing wrong. I find it quite easy to be casual friends with religitards as long as they don't proselytize.
21-07-2016, 08:58 AM
(21-07-2016 08:50 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I just realized this morning - that I'm in the closet..........

Sorta....

I've got a new neighbor who moved in about 2 years ago (around here, that qualifies as new) --- and he stopped in today whilst I was working out in the barn...... He'd just had back surgery a couple weeks ago - and is supposed to walk a couple miles twice a day. It's pretty warm, so he stopped in to say "hi" and take a break....

We got to talking about stuff - -and a couple of times he brought up his xtianity.....

He's a nice enough old guy - and he's a baptist minister -- and he was up till a few years ago - working as a missionary in the Philippines.....

I realized that he doesn't know I'm an atheist..... I guess nobody thought to tell him.....

He knows my dad goes to one of the local churches - and used to be a board member at another church --- so I'm guessing he assumes I'm a xtian as well......

So am I being a prick - not telling him?

There's a small part of my brain that tells me that it's sorta like a prosecutor holding back information in a trial to be used later and that I'm holding an unfair advantage on the old guy......

Another part says "sorry sucker -- that's what you get for assuming"....

Consider

Sounds like a guy out for a walk who stopped in for conversation. I don't see a reason to worry about it. If the talks get too preachy then you may have to say something to steer conversation in another direction.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-07-2016, 09:23 AM
What does it matter? It doesn't. If he asks or invites you to church you'll tell him. Otherwise, it really is irrelevant.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
21-07-2016, 10:14 AM
I waited 40 years to tell my own father (never did tell my mother), and then only because he was getting pushy about wanting me to start going to church again. It wouldn't bother me at all to withhold that information from a stranger or casual acquaintance. As Dom said, it's mostly irrelevant.
21-07-2016, 10:29 AM
I agree with the other posts. No need to say anything unless he starts to proselytize or push you to join church things.