State Game and Fish Swapping Wildlife

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2013, 05:57 PM
State Game and Fish Swapping Wildlife
This one pales in comparison to many others I'm sure you've all encountered, but sooooooo many of my students tell it to me every single school year, and swear by it, I just have to vent. So here's how the story usually goes:

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission trades our native turkeys for rattlesnakes. Usually these are timber rattlesnakes from Missouri but sometimes they are a more ambiguous "Arizona rattlesnake." Apparently G&F officers have been seen in these areas trapping turkeys, and planes/helicopters have been seen flying over the Ozark National Forest dropping crates full of rattlesnakes.

Sound crazy enough? I have students who will either swear first hand account or will attest to their father/sister/cousin/brother/neighbor/etc having seen it. And ohhhhh you better not call so-and-so a liar lest he hi-tail it down her to tha school and show you what for!

I imagine I hear these stories often because I'm kind of a reptile freak myself. I keep reptiles as pets and as educational animals, and I keep several snakes in my classroom. If there's one animal that will conjure any number of interesting tales, it's a snake. Despite me doing my best to educate my students to be more scientifically literate and more skeptical in general, this one always seems to get by some kids. The vehemency with which they believe in it is sometimes astounding. I could spend hours explaining the dangers of zoonotic disease transmission if we just willy nilly swapped critters with another place, or the unlikelihood of a desert species from Arizona being able to survive our temperate forest climate here in Arkansas, but they will just have none of it. Sometimes, their stubbornness about this particular myth is more frustrating to me than their resistance to learning about evolution.

Well, if you've made it this far, thanks for the patience. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has heard about this particular conspiracy theory because apparently each state has its own take on the tale.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2013, 06:06 PM
RE: State Game and Fish Swapping Wildlife
(02-07-2013 05:57 PM)Chance Wrote:  This one pales in comparison to many others I'm sure you've all encountered, but sooooooo many of my students tell it to me every single school year, and swear by it, I just have to vent. So here's how the story usually goes:

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission trades our native turkeys for rattlesnakes. Usually these are timber rattlesnakes from Missouri but sometimes they are a more ambiguous "Arizona rattlesnake." Apparently G&F officers have been seen in these areas trapping turkeys, and planes/helicopters have been seen flying over the Ozark National Forest dropping crates full of rattlesnakes.

Sound crazy enough? I have students who will either swear first hand account or will attest to their father/sister/cousin/brother/neighbor/etc having seen it. And ohhhhh you better not call so-and-so a liar lest he hi-tail it down her to tha school and show you what for!

I imagine I hear these stories often because I'm kind of a reptile freak myself. I keep reptiles as pets and as educational animals, and I keep several snakes in my classroom. If there's one animal that will conjure any number of interesting tales, it's a snake. Despite me doing my best to educate my students to be more scientifically literate and more skeptical in general, this one always seems to get by some kids. The vehemency with which they believe in it is sometimes astounding. I could spend hours explaining the dangers of zoonotic disease transmission if we just willy nilly swapped critters with another place, or the unlikelihood of a desert species from Arizona being able to survive our temperate forest climate here in Arkansas, but they will just have none of it. Sometimes, their stubbornness about this particular myth is more frustrating to me than their resistance to learning about evolution.

Well, if you've made it this far, thanks for the patience. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has heard about this particular conspiracy theory because apparently each state has its own take on the tale.

This is my usual response to these crazy conspiracy theories but Why is fish and game doing this? There seems to be no point to the action and thus the entire conspiracy to do so is just stupid sounding.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
02-07-2013, 09:37 PM
(02-07-2013 06:06 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 05:57 PM)Chance Wrote:  This one pales in comparison to many others I'm sure you've all encountered, but sooooooo many of my students tell it to me every single school year, and swear by it, I just have to vent. So here's how the story usually goes:

Thaty's the fuck we pay for what shit is and asgh
This is my usual response to these crazy conspiracy theories but Why is fish and game doing this? There seems to be no point to the action and thus the entire conspiracy to do so is just stupid sounding.

This is not my signature.
02-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Americans seem to have an odd affinity for creating conspiracies from out of nowhere.

Never heard anything down here.

...Aside from ones originating from, or about, the United States...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.