"State ran" news

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2013, 07:57 AM
"State ran" news
In the west there is lots of criticism of what is called "state ran" tv in other countries. The criticism implies that the west does not have state ran tv and is impartial/fair.

In the west news is tan by huge corporations. How is a corporate ran news any different than a "state ran" news. Give me some specific examples. If CNN was state ran vs corporate ran would their coverage of the war in Syria be any different or the Iraq war coverage? Would they both not report or give little attention to protests or strikes? Would they slant the coverage of protesters?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2013, 08:02 AM
RE: "State ran" news
I'm pretty sure it's "state run" not "state ran"...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
03-09-2013, 09:00 PM
It would be censored in a different way.

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
03-09-2013, 09:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2013 09:48 PM by PoolBoyG.)
It's a type of propaganda tactic. You never hear "corporate run" news outlet.

These are petty, but all too successful media tactics. Like calling a government of a country that's in the crosshairs (justly or not) the "regime" rather than "administration" or "government".

further note: whether corporate or state media, both can easily be lapdogs of the then administration.
04-09-2013, 12:20 AM
Looking at the major power groups of a few hundred years ago, they all had/have their propaganda machines...

State run (monarchy)
Church
Military (church or state owned)
Merchants (advertising)

Behind each of these 'classes' was the administrators / lawyers / bureaucrats.

Behind these information-based roles is 'process'.

Advances in technology now means that the information (good and bad) is becoming more widely available.

Education levels have increased dramatically so that many people who understand process and context can now make more informed decisions.

The only excuse for believing the hype is poor education.

04-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Maybe there is an implication of Western impartiality in referring to... let's say, North Korea's... news as state-run. I'm immersed in Western news and very familiar with its biases, selective reporting, language manipulation, refusal to report negatively on advertisers or parent companies, and so on. So, calling another country's news State-run doesn't imply our own impartiality to me, but maybe I'm just used to that bit of propaganda.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
05-09-2013, 07:04 AM
(04-09-2013 12:48 AM)I Am Wrote:  Maybe there is an implication of Western impartiality in referring to... let's say, North Korea's... news as state-run. I'm immersed in Western news and very familiar with its biases, selective reporting, language manipulation, refusal to report negatively on advertisers or parent companies, and so on. So, calling another country's news State-run doesn't imply our own impartiality to me, but maybe I'm just used to that bit of propaganda.

The term "state ran" media is used a derogatory as in not as truthful or not as trustworthy. Often it is corporate ran news that has the pretense as being better than or more "free" than state ran media.

I haven't seen any specific examples of this, especially when it comes to foreign policy.
05-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Example:

There is a mass hunger strike going on at gitmo prison, this gets very little (none) coverage on most mainstream news sites and Television news channels in the US. I don't see a state ran media acting any differently if the same thing was happening in a different country with state ran media.
05-09-2013, 08:00 AM
(05-09-2013 07:07 AM)I and I Wrote:  Example:

There is a mass hunger strike going on at gitmo prison, this gets very little (none) coverage on most mainstream news sites and Television news channels in the US. I don't see a state ran media acting any differently if the same thing was happening in a different country with state ran media.

The phrase is "state-run".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2013, 09:30 AM
1. State-run media litteraly read out what the government tells them to read out.
2. Corporate media interprets government released facts in a way that suits the corporation.

In the 2nd case you have a choice of several different outlets.
Excellent example: the Trayvon Martin case. Neither side was completely honest there.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.