States and religion vs education

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2010, 04:13 PM
States and religion vs education
I noticed that the top fifteen most educated states, and top fifteen most religious states have zero matches Smile

Lol I wonder why. I just wanted to post this to help you all in debating. Also, sources to back this up can be found all over the place.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2010, 04:16 PM

RE: States and religion vs education
This argument disturbs me. Is there any way to prove a correlation between the two? There are other elements of a society as well, and perhaps religion shapes them as well, but I want someone here to set me straight.
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2010, 04:22 PM
The most religious

best educated states

Those are my sources. I think that the reason for the correlation is that people that are not as well educated tend to be more relgious. Burden of proof is on me I realize this, and here are the stats to back me up.
10-10-2010, 04:37 PM

Whoops. By state I had it interpreted it as nation. I don't know why.
10-10-2010, 07:59 PM

It does seem pretty clear from statistics that religiosity, lack of education, and criminality are related. In my opinion, lack of education is the cause of the other two. Some people tend to blame religiosity for the other two, but I tend to think education has more of an impact.
11-10-2010, 01:39 AM

Even a 100% statistical correlation doesn't imply cause and effect. There may be cause and effect at work, but statistical correlations can't establish that.

There's a strong negative correlation between education and religiousness, but it is also not cause and effect - I know highly educated people who are religious and very ignorant atheists.
11-10-2010, 07:18 PM
I couldn't get the link, so I just looked it up myself. I noticed that other than Utah, which is mostly Mormon, and Oklahoma (couldn't figure that out), most of the religious states are in the South. A lot of those same states are the least educated (I looked it up too). States where education is low and religiosity is high are historically agrarian. States where agriculture was prominent means that emphasis was placed on children helping around the family farm, and not so much being in school. This was especially important during the Reconstruction period. Now, I realize that Reconstruction was almost 140 years ago, but old attitudes run deep, and the South never really saw much industrialization until the 1960s and 1970s. Historically in the South, schools were far apart because people lived farther apart, unlike the more crowded North.
Also, agriculturally based societies (and less educated societies) have a tendency to be more superstitious, whether it be a mainstream religion in the US, or an animistic religion in SE Asia or Africa.
I realize these are generalizations, and like 2buckchuck said, there are highly educated religious people and ignorant atheists. I was just trying to point out what I have observed since I moved to the South.