Stay Tuned.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Stay Tuned.
The High Court of Australia will soon determine if the Canberra marriages of twenty gay couples will be deemed legal. In is a contentious issue as to whether P.M. Abbott will pay for any suffering incurred relative to a negative decision......
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2013, 05:07 PM
RE: Stay Tuned.
Is it leaning one way or another? What do you think they'll decide?

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
11-12-2013, 11:46 PM
(11-12-2013 05:07 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Is it leaning one way or another? What do you think they'll decide?

Hard to say. I think the 'Mad Monk' will try to have them all anulled
12-12-2013, 12:41 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 12:45 AM by Lion IRC.)
Quote:THE High Court has unanimously struck down the ACT's gay marriage laws.
The decision will mean that about two dozen week-old marriages have no legal effect.

The High Court unanimously voted against SSM.
The Federal Parliament of Australia voted against SSM
Public opinion is shifting back to heterosexual-only marriage.

...move on. Nothing here to see.
12-12-2013, 01:57 AM
(12-12-2013 12:41 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
The decision will mean that about two dozen week-old marriages have no legal effect.

Numerous polls have shown increase and high amounts of public favour toward marriage equality, for one example. In August of this year a Fairfax Nielsen poll showed that at that time 68% were in favour of marriage equality. Number tends to keep going up with each poll, man.

Problem in the House and Senate I see is that the politicos haven't been allowed to undergo a conscience vote, probably because of the several politicians even in Abott's party having said they would vote for marriage equality if given the chance.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
12-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Marriage to me is fairytale bullshit. I do not need token gestures to prove my love and faithfulness, however I see why people do it and I feel it is important that a couple be recognised lawfully as being together.

I have read stories on the net before about same sex couples who have been together for a very long time until one of them who dies. The partner left behind can instantly be cut off from everything by the next of kin of the dead partner.

Only the church can get away with saying homosexuals are harmful to society. Any other organisation saying that would be in trouble.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
12-12-2013, 08:20 AM
(12-12-2013 12:41 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:  

The High Court unanimously voted against SSM.

I doubt that the High Court's vote is much of a reflection on public opinion. Maybe sometimes, but not in this case.
12-12-2013, 12:17 PM
(12-12-2013 08:20 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 12:41 AM)Lion IRC Wrote:  The High Court unanimously voted against SSM.

I doubt that the High Court's vote is much of a reflection on public opinion. Maybe sometimes, but not in this case.

The High Court as the name implies, is the highest part of the Australian judicial system; it deals almost exclusively with the implementation and examination of laws, especially in the context of constitutional validity.

Public opinion doesn't come into the HC at all (as with all courts) unless there is a referendum, especially if it focuses on the Constitution.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
12-12-2013, 02:29 PM
(12-12-2013 12:17 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 08:20 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I doubt that the High Court's vote is much of a reflection on public opinion. Maybe sometimes, but not in this case.

The High Court as the name implies, is the highest part of the Australian judicial system; it deals almost exclusively with the implementation and examination of laws, especially in the context of constitutional validity.

Public opinion doesn't come into the HC at all (as with all courts) unless there is a referendum, especially if it focuses on the Constitution.

One sticking point may be m/m parenting.
12-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Where is SSM legal in Australia? Is it more accepted than in the US?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor