Steak

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2012, 11:25 AM
RE: Steak
From a thread last week, "letting the meat rest" was mentioned.

Can someone explain the concept?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2012, 11:57 AM
(30-08-2012 11:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  From a thread last week, "letting the meat rest" was mentioned.

I have no idea what "letting the meat rest" means.. kinda like God having to rest on the 7th day? I dunno.....

For myself I am a firm believer that if the slab of beef is not cooked on an open fire.. your doing it wrong! But that's just me..

But I like ribeye cuts myself.. about 1 1/2 to 2 inch thick cuts... I'll prep it by pulling on the meat in all different directions to stretch it out a bit.. *not so much as to destroy it* just enough to give a tenderizing effect.. *don't beat the thing with a hammer plz*... then give it a nice marinade rub and let it sit for about 4 hours.. prep the grill ... *use mesquite charcoal* .. fuck that propane shit!.. use a real fire! .. ya cowards!

throw the steaks on the grill.. some foiled corn on the cob.. yeah you get the idea .. ya'll aren't idiots.. Big Grin

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
30-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Steak is yummy and all, but I don't think it deserves it's own thread.

Pasta is better. Blush

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

30-08-2012, 12:04 PM
(30-08-2012 11:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  From a thread last week, "letting the meat rest" was mentioned.

As meat proteins cook, they begin to shrink. Up to 120°F, the proteins shrink in diameter only and there is little moisture loss, but above 120°F the proteins also begin to shrink in length, which really puts the squeeze on moisture. By 170°F, most of the moisture will be squeezed out of a lean piece of meat.

As meat rests, this process is partially reversed. The moisture that is driven toward the center of the meat is redistributed as the protein molecules relax and are able to reabsorb some moisture. As a result, less juice runs out of the meat when you cut into it.

They say that meat that is allowed to rest is twice as juicy, 50% of the juice gets lost otherwise.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
30-08-2012, 12:04 PM
(30-08-2012 11:57 AM)ddrew Wrote:  

I have no idea what "letting the meat rest" means.. kinda like God having to rest on the 7th day? I dunno.....

For myself I am a firm believer that if the slab of beef is not cooked on an open fire.. your doing it wrong! But that's just me..

But I like ribeye cuts myself.. about 1 1/2 to 2 inch thick cuts... I'll prep it by pulling on the meat in all different directions to stretch it out a bit.. *not so much as to destroy it* just enough to give a tenderizing effect.. *don't beat the thing with a hammer plz*... then give it a nice marinade rub and let it sit for about 4 hours.. prep the grill ... *use mesquite charcoal* .. fuck that propane shit!.. use a real fire! .. ya cowards!

throw the steaks on the grill.. some foiled corn on the cob.. yeah you get the idea .. ya'll aren't idiots.. Big Grin

I'm not sure. I thought it had to do with masturbation or something. Consider

Does anyone besides me have to have horseradish with their steak or else it was a subpar steak experience?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-08-2012, 12:10 PM
(30-08-2012 12:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(30-08-2012 11:57 AM)ddrew Wrote:  I have no idea what "letting the meat rest" means.. kinda like God having to rest on the 7th day? I dunno.....

I'm not sure. I thought it had to do with masturbation or something. Consider

Does anyone besides me have to have horseradish with their steak or else it was a subpar steak experience?

My husband had to have horseradish with his steak. I got to liking it but only use it some of the time.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-08-2012, 12:13 PM
(30-08-2012 11:57 AM)ddrew Wrote:  

I never foil the corn. I pull off the very outer leaves, cut off the tassels, brush it with olive oil and throw it on the grill. Cooks about the same time as the meat, turned once midway. Very super juicy and flavorful.

30-08-2012, 12:15 PM
(30-08-2012 12:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  

As meat proteins cook, they begin to shrink. Up to 120°F, the proteins shrink in diameter only and there is little moisture loss, but above 120°F the proteins also begin to shrink in length, which really puts the squeeze on moisture. By 170°F, most of the moisture will be squeezed out of a lean piece of meat.

As meat rests, this process is partially reversed. The moisture that is driven toward the center of the meat is redistributed as the protein molecules relax and are able to reabsorb some moisture. As a result, less juice runs out of the meat when you cut into it.

They say that meat that is allowed to rest is twice as juicy, 50% of the juice gets lost otherwise.

Thank you, Dom.
How much time is required? Two cases that are important to me are:
  • 1+" thick steak (sirloin/rib-eye/t-bone/porterhouse) cooked on grill
  • Rib roast from oven
The answers could determine the future quality of my life. Weeping

30-08-2012, 12:17 PM
(30-08-2012 12:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  I never foil the corn. I pull off the very outer leaves, cut off the tassels, brush it with olive oil and throw it on the grill. Cooks about the same time as the meat, turned once midway. Very super juicy and flavorful.

forgot to mention that i foiled the corn smeared first with butter.. but yeah that looks like somthing i'll do next time.. thx Dom

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
30-08-2012, 12:18 PM
(30-08-2012 12:17 PM)ddrew Wrote:  
(30-08-2012 12:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  I never foil the corn. I pull off the very outer leaves, cut off the tassels, brush it with olive oil and throw it on the grill. Cooks about the same time as the meat, turned once midway. Very super juicy and flavorful.

forgot to mention that i foiled the corn smeared first with butter.. but yeah that looks like somthing i'll do next time.. thx Dom

Also try soaking the corn in a pot of 1 gallon water + 1 bottle of ale for 1/2 hour before grilling.