Steak

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2012, 12:19 PM
RE: Steak
(30-08-2012 11:59 AM)xLegendofLink096x Wrote:  Steak is yummy and all, but I don't think it deserves it's own thread.

Pasta is better. Blush

Pasta is also good and deserves its own thread.Thumbsup
But don't be hatin' on the steak. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
30-08-2012, 12:22 PM
(30-08-2012 11:59 AM)xLegendofLink096x Wrote:  Steak is yummy and all, but I don't think it deserves it's own thread.

Pasta is better. Blush

You compared steak .............. to pasta?!

Now that is sacrilege! Steak is the greatest discovery in the history of mankind, pasta is what an Italian guy came up with when he was bored of pizza one day Big Grin.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
30-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Steak
(30-08-2012 12:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Pasta is better. Blush

Pasta is also good and deserves its own thread.Thumbsup
But don't be hatin' on the steak. Dodgy

Don't feed the trolls. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
30-08-2012, 12:33 PM
(30-08-2012 12:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-08-2012 12:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  As meat proteins cook, they begin to shrink. Up to 120°F, the proteins shrink in diameter only and there is little moisture loss, but above 120°F the proteins also begin to shrink in length, which really puts the squeeze on moisture. By 170°F, most of the moisture will be squeezed out of a lean piece of meat.

As meat rests, this process is partially reversed. The moisture that is driven toward the center of the meat is redistributed as the protein molecules relax and are able to reabsorb some moisture. As a result, less juice runs out of the meat when you cut into it.

They say that meat that is allowed to rest is twice as juicy, 50% of the juice gets lost otherwise.

Thank you, Dom.
How much time is required? Two cases that are important to me are:
  • 1+" thick steak (sirloin/rib-eye/t-bone/porterhouse) cooked on grill
  • Rib roast from oven
The answers could determine the future quality of my life. Weeping

Your steaks 5 to 10 minutes. The roast 15 to 20.

Fish, ribs (just ribs, not prime rib) and chicken don't benefit at all, should be eaten right away.

It all depends on the heat and size of the meat, the higher the heat the longer the rest, up to 30 minutes. Thickness also adds time, thin steaks are only 5 minutes, the thicker the more you add. If you're guessing, add some time, it never hurts.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
30-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Resting meat, like Dom mentioned, redistributes moisture and keeps it juicy. Part of resting though, is also a way of getting the right cook on the meat. When you pull it off the heat, the internal temp remains, and drops slowly. Therefore, the meat continues to cook as it cools. Cutting into it right after it comes off the heat let's out all the moisture plus it prematurely cools the meat, which stops the cooking too early.

Take your meat off the heat just BEFORE it is cooked to the desired level. Then, gently lay some foil over top, and let it finish cooking at room temp as it slowly dissatisfied the heat. The slower the better, hence the foil to keep it from cooling too fast.

Try this, and you'll never turn back. It really does make the steak. Same goes for roasts etc, but a roast needs to rest longer to give the thicker piece of meat time to dissipate heat and redistribute moisture.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
30-08-2012, 12:40 PM
(30-08-2012 12:22 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  

Pasta is better. Blush

You compared steak .............. to pasta?!

Now that is sacrilege! Steak is the greatest discovery in the history of mankind, pasta is what an Italian guy came up with when he was bored of pizza one day Big Grin.

Beef bully.

30-08-2012, 12:43 PM
(30-08-2012 12:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-08-2012 12:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  Thank you, Dom.
How much time is required? Two cases that are important to me are:
  • 1+" thick steak (sirloin/rib-eye/t-bone/porterhouse) cooked on grill
  • Rib roast from oven
The answers could determine the future quality of my life. Weeping

Your steaks 5 to 10 minutes. The roast 15 to 20.

Fish, ribs (just ribs, not prime rib) and chicken don't benefit at all, should be eaten right away.

It all depends on the heat and size of the meat, the higher the heat the longer the rest, up to 30 minutes. Thickness also adds time, thin steaks are only 5 minutes, the thicker the more you add. If you're guessing, add some time, it never hurts.

Thanks.

"It all depends on the heat and size of the meat". That's what she said.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Just my opinion here, but chicken does benefit from a short resting period. If you cut into a piece of chicken and it steams, you've cut into it too early, and it will be dry by the time you get halfway through.

Timing is tough, but again, I agree with Dom that longer is better. With practice you'll get your timing down though, and it's a good excuse to cook more steak. The steam test works for beef as well. If it steams, you cut it too early.
Try holding your hand just a half inch above the meat. If you can easily feel the heat from it, let it rest some more. If the heat coming off is just barely noticeable, dig in.

[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
30-08-2012, 12:55 PM
(30-08-2012 12:49 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Just my opinion here, but chicken does benefit from a short resting period. If you cut into a piece of chicken and it steams, you've cut into it too early, and it will be dry by the time you get halfway through.

Timing is tough, but again, I agree with Dom that longer is better. With practice you'll get your timing down though, and it's a good excuse to cook more steak. The steam test works for beef as well. If it steams, you cut it too early.
Try holding your hand just a half inch above the meat. If you can easily feel the heat from it, let it rest some more. If the heat coming off is just barely noticeable, dig in.

Agreed on whole roast chicken etc. Just a breast etc. has rested enough by the time you get it on your plate ready to eat.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-08-2012, 01:08 PM
(30-08-2012 12:55 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-08-2012 12:49 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Just my opinion here, but chicken does benefit from a short resting period. If you cut into a piece of chicken and it steams, you've cut into it too early, and it will be dry by the time you get halfway through.

Agreed on whole roast chicken etc. Just a breast etc. has rested enough by the time you get it on your plate ready to eat.
Good point. I guess it depends on how you serve. I plate food instead of doing a serve yourself for most of the meals I make, so the incidental resting time is much shorter than if I plated the chicken together and set it out as a dish.