Steam............... Downloading

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Steam............... Downloading
Has anyone else here ever made the mistake of buying several games via Steam and then having to deal with the endless downloading of these?

In the past few weeks there were several sales on Steam, with certain offers I couldnt resist. I bought Metro 2033, Company of Heros 2 and all Hitman games....

Now I am stuck with a total download time of estimated 30 hours

Evil_monster

It wouldnt be that bad if you could actualy play other games whilest downloading and if it wouldnt slow down the internet that much. But now I guess I`ll have to wait until the Walking dead continues and the next seasons of Game of Thrones and The Americans are released, so I can load the episode and then watch it whilest the download on Steam is going on.

Damn I somehow miss the disc days, those when you could even buy a DLC in a store and it would be far bigger than it is today - go home and instal the entire game or DLC within 20 minutes.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2014, 04:07 PM
RE: Steam............... Downloading
(25-01-2014 04:03 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Has anyone else here ever made the mistake of buying several games via Steam and then having to deal with the endless downloading of these?

In the past few weeks there were several sales on Steam, with certain offers I couldnt resist. I bought Metro 2033, Company of Heros 2 and all Hitman games....

Now I am stuck with a total download time of estimated 30 hours

Evil_monster

It wouldnt be that bad if you could actualy play other games whilest downloading and if it wouldnt slow down the internet that much. But now I guess I`ll have to wait until the Walking dead continues and the next seasons of Game of Thrones and The Americans are released, so I can load the episode and then watch it whilest the download on Steam is going on.

Damn I somehow miss the hard disc days, those when you could even buy a DLC in a store and it would be far bigger than it is today.

Yes and it always irritates the shit out of me that when you go to play another Steam game whilst waiting that it pauses your download.

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 2 users Like Crulax's post
25-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Yip. Does it do peer to peer? if not, it needs too.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
26-01-2014, 12:02 AM
You can prioritise the order in which games download. Just check the downloads tab. You can also selectively tell steam it is / isn't allowed to continue downloading while a given game is being played. There is a global setting plus an individual setting under the properties of each game.

Also you don't have to have all games installed. Just mark a couple at a time for download. Check the downloads tab and either pause or cancel downloads you don't want right now.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
26-01-2014, 05:08 AM
Just wait The Germans are casually on their way, as soon as everything is done downloading the real fun will begin.
Patches.

So take that 30hours and multiply it by the patch multiplier of x4.5 and you have the real time it's gonna take to download and be able to play those games.

Have fun.

26-01-2014, 06:07 AM
I haven't had that problem earmuffs - my understanding is that the games are downloaded pre-patched. You will get them wanting to patch themselves from time to time. That can be controlled in per-game settings if it is causing you serious problems.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
26-01-2014, 06:13 AM
Not when I re-downloaded all my Total War games ontop my laptop...
They all downloaded (like 8g's each) and then had a number of patches that downloaded after the game downloaded.

26-01-2014, 06:20 AM
That's why one does it one at a time before bed. N00b. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-01-2014, 08:33 PM
You guys must have some shit internet connections.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody