Steam Issues?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Steam Issues?
So, I've been a Steam member for a couple of years now. I go through periods where all I do is game, and then I have stretches where I don't. I bought a bunch of games to play on my desktop last year, and most of them really didn't work. Except for Left 4 Dead (and 2), and some of the simpler games like Plants vs. Zombies and what not. I tried playing GTA IV, Ghostbusters, Fallout 3, and none of them worked. I thought it was my desktop. So, since I was planning on either rebuilding that one from the ground up, or getting something new...it didn't really matter *too* much. This summer I bought a fancy new gaming laptop, and I was so excited to download the games that I'd been playing via Steam. The ones mentioned and DON'T JUDGE....The Sims 3. I said don't judge!!! LOL Tongue

Wouldn't you know it...I have had the same bugs with each of these games. They either don't start, or crash mid play, or are so buggy that all I can do is watch the thing melt in front of me. I was so disappointed that I spent all this money and I get crap. To test and make sure it's not my (brand effing new) laptop, I got out my Oblivion and Sims 3 disks and played them both without a problem. It was amazingly smooth on this laptop, so these bugs are not from my computer.

Have any of you had problems like this? And how did you remedy this, if at all?

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2012, 11:02 PM
RE: Steam Issues?
(12-12-2011 11:56 AM)zaika Wrote:  So, I've been a Steam member for a couple of years now. I go through periods where all I do is game, and then I have stretches where I don't. I bought a bunch of games to play on my desktop last year, and most of them really didn't work. Except for Left 4 Dead (and 2), and some of the simpler games like Plants vs. Zombies and what not. I tried playing GTA IV, Ghostbusters, Fallout 3, and none of them worked. I thought it was my desktop. So, since I was planning on either rebuilding that one from the ground up, or getting something new...it didn't really matter *too* much. This summer I bought a fancy new gaming laptop, and I was so excited to download the games that I'd been playing via Steam. The ones mentioned and DON'T JUDGE....The Sims 3. I said don't judge!!! LOL Tongue

Wouldn't you know it...I have had the same bugs with each of these games. They either don't start, or crash mid play, or are so buggy that all I can do is watch the thing melt in front of me. I was so disappointed that I spent all this money and I get crap. To test and make sure it's not my (brand effing new) laptop, I got out my Oblivion and Sims 3 disks and played them both without a problem. It was amazingly smooth on this laptop, so these bugs are not from my computer.

Have any of you had problems like this? And how did you remedy this, if at all?

I’m sorry to sound like I’m coming straight to Steams defence but its highly probable that the bugs exist in the games themselves rather than the delivery system.

I can’t vouch for GTA IV and Ghostbusters but Fallout 3’s Gambryo Engine is bloody notorious for memory bleed issues and hang ups during the slo-mo death sequences. There is a mod out there that fixes about half of the crashing issues by allowing the game to access up to 4 GB of RAM rather than just 2. Try the Fallout Elder Scrolls Nexus for a bunch of mods and fixes that make the game a lot more stable.

"Gary, it's burning, what we gonna do"
-Bill Bailey
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply