Steam box

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2014, 04:52 AM
Steam box
Why the fuck have I not heard of this until today?
This thing looks incredible. Best "console" ever. If what I have seen on it are anything to go by I would buy this over a xbox.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2014, 05:15 AM
RE: Steam box
Unless this is some sort of food or sexual reference, I'm not interested

Drinking Beverage

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
30-09-2014, 05:19 AM
I saw you posted in this thread and my immediate thoughts were: *sigh* "no DLJ... it is not something sexual..."

I was not disappointed.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
30-09-2014, 06:28 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2014 06:55 AM by ELK12695.)
(30-09-2014 04:52 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why the fuck have I not heard of this until today?
This thing looks incredible. Best "console" ever. If what I have seen on it are anything to go by I would buy this over a xbox.

Wait, have they gone back to just one Steambox? 'Cause last time I checked (which is like a year ago), big corps like MSI, Asus, Acer and so on made individual steamboxes that ranges from power (and price, jeezus that one with a Titan and Xeon was beyond silly) using CPU's and GPU's from Intel, AMD and Nvidia. And they all had SteamOS.

(edit) Looks like I was right on that http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

I'm not gonna buy one...

But what the hell, any excuse to use this one http://gaben.amigocraft.net/

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
30-09-2014, 09:39 AM
You mean a computer? Oh yeah, that's why you never heard of it.

It's an item that fits a very tiny niche market. Just like an Ouya or a retron5, these things don't have a great deal of marketability outside of specific audiences.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
30-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Steam Box is useless. Just buy a computer, or even better, just build one. It will be cheaper, better, and will have nearly all of the functionality of the steambox. I'm pretty sure it's just a gaming pc with a gaming OS that will have trouble doing non-gaming functions.

So why not just buy an actual gaming PC, with a versatile OS that can do both gaming and non-gaming exceptionally well?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
30-09-2014, 11:05 AM
(30-09-2014 10:56 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Steam Box is useless. Just buy a computer, or even better, just build one. It will be cheaper, better, and will have nearly all of the functionality of the steambox. I'm pretty sure it's just a gaming pc with a gaming OS that will have trouble doing non-gaming functions.

So why not just buy an actual gaming PC, with a versatile OS that can do both gaming and non-gaming exceptionally well?

It's pretty much all about the OS (which is infact useless for anything else than what you just said). In a PS4 or Xbox One or whatever they have CPU and GPU built into the same board. However, far as I know the stuff Intel and so on puts into it is still the same stuff that you slide into your motherboard in a PC, so yeah, it's pretty much a PC. The real question is if they have some sort of guarantee slapped on it, and if you lose that guarantee if you decide to swap out a part; or uninstall SteamOS(although I doubt that).

30-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Unsure

Misleading thread title is misleading.

Uncertain if I'm relieved or disappointed. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
30-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Maybe I'm too innocent, but I don't see any sexual references or even things that look like they could be sexual references here...

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
30-09-2014, 11:13 AM
(30-09-2014 11:11 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Maybe I'm too innocent, but I don't see any sexual references or even things that look like they could be sexual references here...

Cuz, steam. As in steamy... and emmm... boxes... eh, nevermind.

[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post