Steam box

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2014, 10:11 AM
RE: Steam box
(30-09-2014 06:27 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  My current (awesome) PC that I built has a full tower case (Cooler Master Stormstryker), if that tells you anything about how I feel about being confined by a small form factor. Limited air flow and hardware options would kill the point of having a powerhouse gaming pc. A limited OS makes it even worse.

Honestly though, I don't hate the steam box, I just don't get it. It seems like selling an inferior, but shined up, product to what already exists, but without giving you a price decrease.
Reminds me of Apple Consider

Arguable the largest limiting factor for consoles is noise and power. An Xbox360 has to run the entire unit off of a 100 watt power supply. My current GTX770 requires a 600 watt power supply with at least a 42 amp +12 volt rail.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2014, 10:27 AM
(03-10-2014 10:01 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Example 1 came in at $1263.17

Example 2 came in at $834.15

It's not in the same market as consoles if it costs 3x as much as a PS4.

(also relying on stock intel cpu coolers is a deathwish, especially in a small and therefore hot case)

(03-10-2014 10:01 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Example 3 comes in at $576.90

Example 3 is then down (roughly) to console-level hardware, and is still more expensive. The 750ti is nominally on par with the slightly gimped 7870 in the PS4, but will not have access to the same low-level coding console development (ideally) provides.

But it's still a far more versatile and useful piece of kit, because it can actually do, you know, general-purpose computing.

Anyway, steambox is still pointless.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
03-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Lol, Muffs, Alienware is definitely overpriced for what you get... I mean, you've already bought the XBO over a PS4. Don't go full retard.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
03-10-2014, 07:51 PM
The point at which PC gaming becomes cheaper is when:
- You need a PC anyway, so the additional cost of making it a suitable gaming PC is comparable to or less than the cost of a dedicated PC, and/or
- You buy mostly cheap steam games optimising enjoyment per unit price in a way that consoles don't easily support, and/or
- You can play the games of previous generations without needing to buy them again

As for steam box, I don't know if there is a market there. It retains the second way to offer a cheap option, but eliminates the first. So is it trying to hit a cheap commodity point, or trying to create a premium console option? I think the most optimistic perspective would be to say that it is trying to open up an android-style spectrum of consoles from the very cheap to the very expensive that are generally very backwards-compatible between generations in a way current consoles can't match.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
04-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Found this, had to share...

[Image: h7B9C0208]

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-10-2014, 04:11 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2014 04:17 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(03-10-2014 10:27 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 10:01 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Example 1 came in at $1263.17

Example 2 came in at $834.15

It's not in the same market as consoles if it costs 3x as much as a PS4.

(also relying on stock intel cpu coolers is a deathwish, especially in a small and therefore hot case)

(03-10-2014 10:01 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Example 3 comes in at $576.90

Example 3 is then down (roughly) to console-level hardware, and is still more expensive. The 750ti is nominally on par with the slightly gimped 7870 in the PS4, but will not have access to the same low-level coding console development (ideally) provides.

But it's still a far more versatile and useful piece of kit, because it can actually do, you know, general-purpose computing.

Anyway, steambox is still pointless.

Agreed. That's why I went whole hog and bought a PC. Got hooked on Unreal Tournament 2004 and Day of Defeat: Source back when I went to AIP back in 04', haven't seriously looked back at consoles (with exception for my 3DS, because Nintendo) since then. My last PC I built back in 08' and I kept that thing hobbling until now.

It had a Core-2-Duo @ 3Ghz, 2GB of RAM, and an EVGA 8800GT 512MB, and that was hot-shit back then! Tongue

[Image: 14-130-306-06.jpg]

When I was trying to troubleshoot my current system's black-screen-freeze problem, I yanked out the ASUS GTX770 (which ended up being the culprit) and tried replacing it with both my GTS450 and this 8800GT.

It still works. Tongue

05-10-2014, 01:14 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2014 01:18 AM by earmuffs.)
(03-10-2014 10:32 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Lol, Muffs, Alienware is definitely overpriced for what you get... I mean, you've already bought the XBO over a PS4. Don't go full retard.

oi!

Quote:But it's still a far more versatile and useful piece of kit, because it can actually do, you know, general-purpose computing.

That's what I'm saying though, it would be good for the purpose of gaming.
I have my laptop for general purpose cute kitty video computing. If I want something just for gaming, this is very tempting because it's cheaper then a PC of equivalent power and it's purpose built for gaming.

Laptop > PC for general purpose computing anyway because it's smaller and I can cart it all over the house. I would be typing this while taking a dump for all you know (I'm not, I'm at my desk). You can't do that with a PC obviously. I have a PC I built and I use it for just games but it's getting outdated and the CPU heatsink has pretty much died.

[Image: oscar.png]
06-10-2014, 03:37 PM
I've thought about building one. It's built on top a Ubuntu distro. Anyone else here put one together? My two boys use steam a lot on their PCs. I have enough hardware laying around. It wouldn't be top end at first. I would invest more if it worked well for me.
06-10-2014, 05:11 PM
I just run steam on standard Ubuntu.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
06-10-2014, 05:26 PM
I've done that, but the video drivers get so wonky. I figured the steam os would go in a little more seamlessly on a fresh install. Besides my boys aren't going to switch over to linux anytime too soon. I'm guessing I could install an XFCE desktop in the background. If it ever catches on we can get out of Microsoft licenses.

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown