Steam engined cars?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2013, 05:31 AM
Steam engined cars?
It's no secret that cars used to run on steam, so I got to thinking, copyright laws only last for 70 years, that means I could get a blueprint of one of the engine models before 1943. Maybe I could build my own steam engine? Hell why not go for the entire car while I'm at it? I mean fucking shit how much money am I going to waste on gasoline in my life time? Say about 40$ a week, and that's not including rising gas prices throughout the years. I get about 150,000$ for the next 80 years. Possibly 250,000-300,000$ since by the time I die, oil is going to become a much rarer resource. And don't even get me started on insurance.

I'm pretty sure it would cost less to build my own steam engine car. Assuming I could do it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2013, 05:36 AM
RE: Steam engined cars?
That is the stupidest fucking thing I have ever herd. today.

That idea is so fail that there are no words to describe how much of a fail that plan is.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
16-01-2013, 05:41 AM
(16-01-2013 05:36 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  That is the stupidest fucking thing I have ever herd. today.

That idea is so fail that there are no words to describe how much of a fail that plan is.
From Kubelwagon's with love.

[Image: Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-022-2926-07%2C_Ru...lwagen.jpg]
16-01-2013, 06:11 AM
Well if you want to shovel coal into your "engine" and travel at about 2 miles an hour and turn up at your destination looking like you have been up a chimney, then coolio Thumbsup

"Just driving the steam engine to the coal mine, be about two days"

*HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS.. cho.. cho...chooo...choooo.... chug chug chug chug chug....Wooo woooo*

(Old man with zimmerframe overtakes you)

Tongue

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
16-01-2013, 06:59 AM
And what do you plan on fuelling it with?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
16-01-2013, 07:04 AM
(16-01-2013 06:59 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  And what do you plan on fuelling it with?
I was thinking about gold Drinking Beverage
16-01-2013, 07:12 AM
And between Scot and Bemore beating me to my points, I rest my case. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
16-01-2013, 07:24 AM
And I thought the average car was fuel inefficient.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
16-01-2013, 07:56 AM
(16-01-2013 07:04 AM)Nappa Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 06:59 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  And what do you plan on fuelling it with?
I was thinking about gold Drinking Beverage
How about a nuclear powered car? Might be a bit costly in the beginning but over the span of a few hundred years your great grandchildren should reap the benefits.

Just dont crash within 300 miles of my house Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
16-01-2013, 08:35 AM
External combustion can be very efficient - probably hard to compete with modern computer-controlled internal combustion but it may be worth a look none the less. It should also be able to take a wider variety of fuels, as the fuel itself never enters the engine proper but merely fuels a fire that heats water within the engine. The main disadvantages I've seen are things like needing heaps of water, making sure the boiler doesn't explode, and a long start-up time. While an internal combustion engine can just crank and go, a a steam engine literally has to boil a kettle's worth of water before it can get started.

All of that said, I haven't seen too many examples of people with working solutions around. Maybe these guys will get out of the starting blocks one day: http://www.cyclonepower.com/works.html

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.