Steam engined cars?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2013, 11:47 PM
RE: Steam engined cars?
(16-01-2013 05:31 AM)Nappa Wrote:  It's no secret that cars used to run on steam, so I got to thinking, copyright laws only last for 70 years, that means I could get a blueprint of one of the engine models before 1943. Maybe I could build my own steam engine? Hell why not go for the entire car while I'm at it? I mean fucking shit how much money am I going to waste on gasoline in my life time? Say about 40$ a week, and that's not including rising gas prices throughout the years. I get about 150,000$ for the next 80 years. Possibly 250,000-300,000$ since by the time I die, oil is going to become a much rarer resource. And don't even get me started on insurance.

I'm pretty sure it would cost less to build my own steam engine car. Assuming I could do it.

Your idea does have some merit. It is just really difficult. There is a car over in europe produced by a company called MDI. It runs completely on air pressure. It does currently top out at about 65mph, but that is faster than they first went. It won't be coming to the U.S. though. The first excuse is not enough safety equipment, even though I have found through research that these cars have pretty much the same safety equipment as cars here do. If you can figure out how to fit a steam system into a car that is normally sold here without damaging any of the safety systems, you know air bags and the like. You also will need to prove that the emissions are as clean or cleaner than that of gas powered cars. As I say, difficult but worth while if you can do it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2013, 11:49 PM
(16-01-2013 11:47 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 05:31 AM)Nappa Wrote:  It's no secret that cars used to run on steam, so I got to thinking, copyright laws only last for 70 years, that means I could get a blueprint of one of the engine models before 1943. Maybe I could build my own steam engine? Hell why not go for the entire car while I'm at it? I mean fucking shit how much money am I going to waste on gasoline in my life time? Say about 40$ a week, and that's not including rising gas prices throughout the years. I get about 150,000$ for the next 80 years. Possibly 250,000-300,000$ since by the time I die, oil is going to become a much rarer resource. And don't even get me started on insurance.

I'm pretty sure it would cost less to build my own steam engine car. Assuming I could do it.

Your idea does have some merit. It is just really difficult. There is a car over in europe produced by a company called MDI. It runs completely on air pressure. It does currently top out at about 65mph, but that is faster than they first went. It won't be coming to the U.S. though. The first excuse is not enough safety equipment, even though I have found through research that these cars have pretty much the same safety equipment as cars here do. If you can figure out how to fit a steam system into a car that is normally sold here without damaging any of the safety systems, you know air bags and the like. You also will need to prove that the emissions are as clean or cleaner than that of gas powered cars. As I say, difficult but worth while if you can do it.
Ah I pondered on the building my own car for a little while. And then that dream died as I totally lack money to do that.
17-01-2013, 12:21 AM
(16-01-2013 11:49 PM)Nappa Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 11:47 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Your idea does have some merit. It is just really difficult. There is a car over in europe produced by a company called MDI. It runs completely on air pressure. It does currently top out at about 65mph, but that is faster than they first went. It won't be coming to the U.S. though. The first excuse is not enough safety equipment, even though I have found through research that these cars have pretty much the same safety equipment as cars here do. If you can figure out how to fit a steam system into a car that is normally sold here without damaging any of the safety systems, you know air bags and the like. You also will need to prove that the emissions are as clean or cleaner than that of gas powered cars. As I say, difficult but worth while if you can do it.
Ah I pondered on the building my own car for a little while. And then that dream died as I totally lack money to do that.

I am sure that and the fact that if your idea is far cleaner and efficient than gas cars, the government will stand in your way where ever they can.
17-01-2013, 12:33 AM
[Image: 14-magnet-car-troll-physics.jpg]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
17-01-2013, 06:46 AM
(17-01-2013 12:21 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 11:49 PM)Nappa Wrote:  Ah I pondered on the building my own car for a little while. And then that dream died as I totally lack money to do that.

I am sure that and the fact that if your idea is far cleaner and efficient than gas cars, the government will stand in your way where ever they can.

Paranoid, much?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2013, 06:53 AM
(17-01-2013 06:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 12:21 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I am sure that and the fact that if your idea is far cleaner and efficient than gas cars, the government will stand in your way where ever they can.

Paranoid, much?
Trillions of pounds worth of oil that prop up economies (petrodollar)

It would rechange the whole order of the world, with that much money I think they would offer to buy any ideas off you to lock away (if you were lucky) and if you refused I think they would find no problem in killing you and stealing the idea instead.

Paranoid maybe, but it would make perfect business sense to stop any new ideas emerging on a large scale.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
17-01-2013, 06:53 AM
check out the MDI air car and then research why it is not in the U.S.. You will see.
17-01-2013, 07:08 AM
(17-01-2013 06:53 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 06:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  Paranoid, much?
Trillions of pounds worth of oil that prop up economies (petrodollar)

It would rechange the whole order of the world, with that much money I think they would offer to buy any ideas off you to lock away (if you were lucky) and if you refused I think they would find no problem in killing you and stealing the idea instead.

Paranoid maybe, but it would make perfect business sense to stop any new ideas emerging on a large scale.

No, it wouldn't. New businesses are created with new ideas. There is plenty of venture capital for something that is a game-changer.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
17-01-2013, 08:14 AM
The air-powered vehicles I have seen have tended to be very loud, and not very efficient due to the requirement to compress the gas. Steam has many good features, but along with the above it's hard to get the weight down. Internal combustion is essentially an engine block with a few valves and pulleys but external combustion requires separate boiler, possibly fuel treatment, etc.

All of this while electric cars are just tipping over the edge towards being a real alternative. You'd have to do a lot better than electric on a number of fronts to get the funding you need to usurp the internal combustion engine as a commercial option.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
17-01-2013, 08:41 AM
The problem is not the type of engine, the problem is the fuel.
If you can convert the world to 100% renewable (ie, ethanol) then you wont have a problem.

A lot of countries can grow ethanol, it's just corn (and can be created from a number of other plants I believe), but not every country has oil. More countries producing fuel, more competition, the lower the price.

They're doing interesting things with algy (mind the spelling. Green mold stuff that grows ontop of still water). Basically the same as ethanol. But if you could set up a factory growing that shit in massive shallow (and thus able to stack to save space) pond things, then you could do that anywhere on the globe.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.