Steamed Cockroach anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2015, 12:52 PM
I read an interesting article in Science this morning about the lineage of arthropods, more specifically about the placement of Insects in relation to Crustacea. We once thought of the ancestral insect as something closer to a myriapod or a centipede, but as it turns out, insects likely descended from Crustaceans. Meaning that your lobster boil is not too far off from being similar to a cockroach bake. The family line looks very similar to this as it turns out.
[Image: arthropods_genericancestor.gif]

The ancestral arthropod is still something of an enigma, but it is probably very similar to a velvet worm.

So, who is ready to start eating insects instead of beef for protein?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
18-01-2015, 12:53 PM
RE: Steamed Cockroach anyone?
(18-01-2015 12:52 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I read an interesting article in Science this morning about the lineage of arthropods, more specifically about the placement of Insects in relation to Crustacea. We once thought of the ancestral insect as something closer to a myriapod or a centipede, but as it turns out, insects likely descended from Crustaceans. Meaning that your lobster boil is not too far off from being similar to a cockroach bake. The family line looks very similar to this as it turns out.

The ancestral arthropod is still something of an enigma, but it is probably very similar to a velvet worm.

You first.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-01-2015, 12:54 PM
(18-01-2015 12:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 12:52 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I read an interesting article in Science this morning about the lineage of arthropods, more specifically about the placement of Insects in relation to Crustacea. We once thought of the ancestral insect as something closer to a myriapod or a centipede, but as it turns out, insects likely descended from Crustaceans. Meaning that your lobster boil is not too far off from being similar to a cockroach bake. The family line looks very similar to this as it turns out.

You first.

Maybe with butter. Lots of butter.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
18-01-2015, 12:59 PM
As I sit here reading this to my brother-from-another-mother, we laughed.

Every year in Raleigh we have Bugfest, where restaurants serve insect foods. With them and what we've had the rest of the year, we've eaten insects including mealworms, crickets (baked, fried, dried, etc.) in dishes and ice cream, and other types of larvae and bugs. My brother Jigsaw and I also had some bars made from cricket flour.

So.... We already have. Smile
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
18-01-2015, 01:00 PM
(18-01-2015 12:54 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 12:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You first.

Maybe with butter. Lots of butter.

Most things are better with butter.

But...

No

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-01-2015, 01:00 PM
(18-01-2015 12:59 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  As I sit here reading this to my brother-from-another-mother, we laughed.

Every year in Raleigh we have Bugfest, where restaurants serve insect foods. With them and what we've had the rest of the year, we've eaten insects including mealworms, crickets (baked, fried, dried, etc.) in dishes and ice cream, and other types of larvae and bugs. My brother Jigsaw and I also had some bars made from cricket flour.

So.... We already have. Smile

You are welcome to my share.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
18-01-2015, 01:01 PM
I remember that a zoo in Paris opens an annual "bug restaurant" where you can try sauteed silk moth coccoons (I recall from the article they initially taste nutty until they burst, whereupon they taste like a mixture of blue cheese and tea leaves), and other insects.

Only in France, eh?

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
18-01-2015, 01:02 PM
(18-01-2015 01:01 PM)gofish! Wrote:  I remember that a zoo in Paris opens an annual "bug restaurant" where you can try sauteed silk moth coccoons (I recall from the article they initially taste nutty until they burst, whereupon they taste like a mixture of blue cheese and tea leaves), and other insects.

Only in France, eh?

Rainbow Vomit

18-01-2015, 01:03 PM
Well, the upside to insects is that they are less harmful to the environment to raise for consumption.

The downside is that they aren't lobster.

-Rick
18-01-2015, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2015 04:02 AM by gofish!.)
(18-01-2015 01:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 01:01 PM)gofish! Wrote:  I remember that a zoo in Paris opens an annual "bug restaurant" where you can try sauteed silk moth coccoons (I recall from the article they initially taste nutty until they burst, whereupon they taste like a mixture of blue cheese and tea leaves), and other insects.

Only in France, eh?

Rainbow Vomit

Sorry about that Anj...Sad

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.