Steamed Cockroach anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2015, 01:08 PM
RE: Steamed Cockroach anyone?
I have a cookbook that is all recipes that include different types of insects. So I'm not opposed to reading insects. I actually found a few recipes in the book I want to try. The only one I don't want to try is the fried Turantula, to me those are pets not food.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2015, 01:13 PM
(18-01-2015 01:04 PM)gofish! Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 01:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Rainbow Vomit

Sorry about the Anj...Sad

Not sure what was worse - the word 'burst' (gag) or the thought of the taste of blue cheese (shudder).

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
18-01-2015, 02:30 PM
All I have to say is:

Ew.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
18-01-2015, 03:00 PM
(18-01-2015 01:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 01:04 PM)gofish! Wrote:  Sorry about the Anj...Sad

Not sure what was worse - the word 'burst' (gag) or the thought of the taste of blue cheese (shudder).

Hate to tell you this but there are an unavoidable amount of bugs and other stuff like mouse fur in things like peanut butter. The FDA allows for this because in the vast amount of food manufactured in the US it's almost impossible for some bugs to not get into the mix. But, well......it's all cooked up and mixed into the product so you really don't taste it.

I have a friend who worked in a jelly manufacturing plant for a summer college job and she said there were bugs and flies that got into the jelly vats but it gets all boiled up and...um.....the customer is none the wiser.

For your reading enjoyment.....
http://www.fda.gov/food/guidanceregulati...056174.htm

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-01-2015, 03:04 PM
(18-01-2015 03:00 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 01:13 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Not sure what was worse - the word 'burst' (gag) or the thought of the taste of blue cheese (shudder).

Hate to tell you this but there are an unavoidable amount of bugs and other stuff like mouse fur in things like peanut butter. The FDA allows for this because in the vast amount of food manufactured in the US it's almost impossible for some bugs to not get into the mix. But, well......it's all cooked up and mixed into the product so you really don't taste it.

I have a friend who worked in a jelly manufacturing plant for a summer college job and she said there were bugs and flies that got into the jelly vats but it gets all boiled up and...um.....the customer is none the wiser.

I like this part.

The criteria considered is based on the reported findings (e.g., lengths of hairs, sizes of insect fragments, distribution of filth in the sample, and combinations of filth types found).

Yum!
18-01-2015, 03:08 PM
(18-01-2015 12:59 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  As I sit here reading this to my brother-from-another-mother, we laughed.

Every year in Raleigh we have Bugfest, where restaurants serve insect foods. With them and what we've had the rest of the year, we've eaten insects including mealworms, crickets (baked, fried, dried, etc.) in dishes and ice cream, and other types of larvae and bugs. My brother Jigsaw and I also had some bars made from cricket flour.

So.... We already have. Smile

There is something very strange about this "Raleigh" place...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
18-01-2015, 03:12 PM
Lol Haha. Reading through the list of the FDA allowable insect stuff, I came across this.

Fig Paste.

"Contains 13 or more insect heads per 100 grams of fig paste in each of 2 or more subsamples."

Insect heads? Where does the rest of the body go? Are they decapitated or something?

Unfortunately, I love figs.

18-01-2015, 03:17 PM
(18-01-2015 03:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Lol Haha. Reading through the list of the FDA allowable insect stuff, I came across this.

Fig Paste.

"Contains 13 or more insect heads per 100 grams of fig paste in each of 2 or more subsamples."

Insect heads? Where does the rest of the body go? Are they decapitated or something?

But do you start cursing when you find they are out of season?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
18-01-2015, 03:41 PM
(18-01-2015 03:04 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 03:00 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Hate to tell you this but there are an unavoidable amount of bugs and other stuff like mouse fur in things like peanut butter. The FDA allows for this because in the vast amount of food manufactured in the US it's almost impossible for some bugs to not get into the mix. But, well......it's all cooked up and mixed into the product so you really don't taste it.

I like this part.

The criteria considered is based on the reported findings (e.g., lengths of hairs, sizes of insect fragments, distribution of filth in the sample, and combinations of filth types found).

Yum!

I'm picturing a scientist/food inspector guy in a white lab coat going through the various food products and picking out the hairs and measuring their length.

Question: "So what do you do for a living, sir?"

Answer: "Oh, I measure mouse hairs in peanut butter and count bug heads in fig paste."

18-01-2015, 03:48 PM
(18-01-2015 03:17 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 03:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Lol Haha. Reading through the list of the FDA allowable insect stuff, I came across this.

Fig Paste.

But do you start cursing when you find they are out of season?

I find figs all year long. When I buy them in the winter they're probably from South America somewhere, in which case the figs probably have tarantula brains in them with the outside chance of being laced with cocaine.

Ugg.