Steel Beasts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Steel Beasts
I used to have this game years ago. Loved it to bits, but for some reason it got thrown out.

Does anyone know if it will run on Windows 7?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2014, 04:21 PM
RE: Steel Beasts
(07-09-2014 11:38 AM)Sam Wrote:  I used to have this game years ago. Loved it to bits, but for some reason it got thrown out.

From what I read, Steel Beasts won't but Steel Beasts Pro Personal will. I guess Steel Beasts Pro Personal is just an upgraded version.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
08-09-2014, 06:52 AM
(07-09-2014 04:21 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 11:38 AM)Sam Wrote:  I used to have this game years ago. Loved it to bits, but for some reason it got thrown out.

From what I read, Steel Beasts won't but Steel Beasts Pro Personal will. I guess Steel Beasts Pro Personal is just an upgraded version.

Yeah, and it's about 150 quid...

Looks bloody brilliant though.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
08-09-2014, 08:35 AM
(08-09-2014 06:52 AM)Sam Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 04:21 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  From what I read, Steel Beasts won't but Steel Beasts Pro Personal will. I guess Steel Beasts Pro Personal is just an upgraded version.

Yeah, and it's about 150 quid...

It's does, but too expensive for my liking.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
08-09-2014, 09:00 AM
(08-09-2014 08:35 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 06:52 AM)Sam Wrote:  Yeah, and it's about 150 quid...

It's does, but too expensive for my liking.

Well, the sim has been designed to train NATO tankers... The professional edition is only available to the military.

The Pro PE version just has the classified shit removed, so no surprise it's expensive.

For less money I could buy a cheap old PC with XP on it, and run the old version.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
08-09-2014, 09:16 AM
(08-09-2014 09:00 AM)Sam Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 08:35 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  It's does, but too expensive for my liking.

Well, the sim has been designed to train NATO tankers... The professional edition is only available to the military.

The Pro PE version just has the classified shit removed, so no surprise it's expensive.

For less money I could buy a cheap old PC with XP on it, and run the old version.

Haha yeah you could do that.

14-09-2014, 03:44 AM
Or you could, you know, play something that doesn't make your eyes bleed. Undecided

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
14-09-2014, 10:50 AM
(14-09-2014 03:44 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Or you could, you know, play something that doesn't make your eyes bleed. Undecided

Dunno what you mean...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
15-09-2014, 01:17 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2014 03:39 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(14-09-2014 10:50 AM)Sam Wrote:  
(14-09-2014 03:44 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Or you could, you know, play something that doesn't make your eyes bleed. Undecided

Dunno what you mean...

Training sims are never known for looking good. Like, ever. I was curious as I'd never heard of Steel Beasts, and went looking for screenshots; and they almost made my eyes bleed they were so bad. The screen shots usually consisted of a really detailed high-polygon tank, on a flat ground that looks about as textured as your typical N64 game; and maybe of you are lucky you can see a tree or two. Lighting? Completely flat and little shadows. Everything is just flat looking. We've had games with normal maps to fudge extra texture and shadow detail since the PS2/Xbox generation, and this appears to have nothing more than simple flat textures. No normal maps, no bump maps, no mip maps, no specular maps, no diffuse maps, no nothing. And if it's anything like every other simulator I've seen, it's animation it almost assuredly just as lackluster.

Yeah, that game is just down right ugly.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
15-09-2014, 07:40 AM
(15-09-2014 01:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(14-09-2014 10:50 AM)Sam Wrote:  Dunno what you mean...

Training sims are never known for looking good. Like, ever. I was curious as I'd never heard of Steel Beasts, and went looking for screenshots; and they almost made my eyes bleed they were so bad. The screen shots usually consisted of a really detailed high-polygon tank, on a flat ground that looks about as textured as your typical N64 game; and maybe of you are lucky you can see a tree or two. Lighting? Completely flat and little shadows. Everything is just flat looking. We've had games with normal maps to fudge extra texture and shadow detail since the PS2/Xbox generation, and this appears to have nothing more than simple flat textures. No normal maps, no bump maps, no mip maps, no specular maps, no diffuse maps, no nothing. And if it's anything like every other simulator I've seen, it's animation it almost assuredly just as lackluster.

Yeah, that game is just down right ugly.

Well, it is about 17 years old... I remember it looked shit in 2003, but it hasn't got any shitter.

I go for the sim aspect over the graphics. These days there doesn't seem to be anything that comes close for accuracy or challenge.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]