Stellaris

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2016, 08:44 AM
Stellaris
Anyone else planning to play Stellaris when it comes out? I'm on a massive hypetrain for this game.

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/stellaris

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2016, 10:16 AM
RE: Stellaris
It's a paradox game, of course I'm getting this shit..

I'm looking forward far more for HoI4 in June though. Don't get me wrong, Stellaris is still my 3rd most anticipated game this year. Keen bean on some new paradox IP.
My only concern is that it's not gonna be as "strategy" focused compared to the others. I mean it's obviously strategy focused being a strategy game and all. But it looks a lot more luck based and just building up the largest army possible. There's no like starting as a OPM surrounded by world powers and becoming a super power. No Ulm world conquest so to speak (not that an Ulm world conquest is all that viable to begin with...). It's always the same. You start small but you're given ample time and space to grow into a super power before you'll ever have to take on a super power. And the start's always the same. I mean obviously the galaxy is different every time and the starting race is different etc.. but ultimately it comes back to you start as one planet and get ample time to expand and grow. What I mean by this is ultimately I'm not sure if this will have the lasting ability like the other major IPs in Paradox's range.

In saying that Civ games are like this. You start with one city and have ample time to expand and grow and they're still good games. And this does have the added bonus that it's a paradox game. AND the added bonus that it's space. Having a quick look at my Steam library all my strategy games are either WW2 era or middle ages era or Roman times era or expand all three.
18-04-2016, 01:08 PM
Crusader kings looks neat. What do you think?

I love to get medieval on other people. Blush

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
18-04-2016, 02:45 PM
(18-04-2016 10:16 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's a paradox game, of course I'm getting this shit..

I'm looking forward far more for HoI4 in June though. Don't get me wrong, Stellaris is still my 3rd most anticipated game this year. Keen bean on some new paradox IP.
My only concern is that it's not gonna be as "strategy" focused compared to the others. I mean it's obviously strategy focused being a strategy game and all. But it looks a lot more luck based and just building up the largest army possible. There's no like starting as a OPM surrounded by world powers and becoming a super power. No Ulm world conquest so to speak (not that an Ulm world conquest is all that viable to begin with...). It's always the same. You start small but you're given ample time and space to grow into a super power before you'll ever have to take on a super power. And the start's always the same. I mean obviously the galaxy is different every time and the starting race is different etc.. but ultimately it comes back to you start as one planet and get ample time to expand and grow. What I mean by this is ultimately I'm not sure if this will have the lasting ability like the other major IPs in Paradox's range.

In saying that Civ games are like this. You start with one city and have ample time to expand and grow and they're still good games. And this does have the added bonus that it's a paradox game. AND the added bonus that it's space. Having a quick look at my Steam library all my strategy games are either WW2 era or middle ages era or Roman times era or expand all three.

I've been watching the live streams on Stellaris, they actually give you the option if you want to have an even start for everyone or if you want a mix of even start and people ahead of you (super power status) outside of fallen empires which if you compared it to a civ game would be you in the stone age era trying to take on someone in the modern era. From the way its looking so far the early to mid game is more or less a standard 4x type of game. when you get to late mid game to late game it becomes more like the grand strategy style of gaming. One example is if you decide to massively build up your fleet and go on a conquering rampage the other empires will start forming alliances/federations to stop you from growing out of control. The more you colonize or conquer the greater of a threat you will be perceived as.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
18-04-2016, 09:00 PM
(18-04-2016 01:08 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Crusader kings looks neat. What do you think?

I love to get medieval on other people. Blush

I enjoyed crusader kings 2 when I played it, even though it didn't speak to me at my core. Sci fi themed games are what I enjoy most. Crusader kings focuses more heavily on your family legacy as you arrange marriages to solidify or create alliances, and also ensuring you have an heir of some kind. The game will end if you and all your heirs die. The end goal of the game is what you want it to be as the game has a time limit at the end of the middle ages.

― Carl Sagan
18-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Quote:I've been watching the live streams on Stellaris, they actually give you the option if you want to have an even start for everyone or if you want a mix of even start and people ahead of you (super power status) outside of fallen empires which if you compared it to a civ game would be you in the stone age era trying to take on someone in the modern era.

I've been watching them too (though what's his face, the AI lead dude, drives me fucking crazy). I saw this but they didn't elaborate to what extent this was gonna be. I mean you're always gonna start as a FTL civ so stone age compared to modern era is pretty far fetched. I don't imagine "advanced" civs are gonna be spanning half the galaxy.

Quote:One example is if you decide to massively build up your fleet and go on a conquering rampage the other empires will start forming alliances/federations to stop you from growing out of control. The more you colonize or conquer the greater of a threat you will be perceived as.

But this is in EU4, HoI and even CK2 IIRC. My point is that there's not gonna be enough. You can't have just that and call it "deep" when something like EU4 has that as a minor component of the overall game. I don't think this is gonna be a bad game, I just see this more like a Civ game, an "arcade strategy game" than a paradox grand strategy game.
19-04-2016, 07:01 AM
(18-04-2016 09:18 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:I've been watching the live streams on Stellaris, they actually give you the option if you want to have an even start for everyone or if you want a mix of even start and people ahead of you (super power status) outside of fallen empires which if you compared it to a civ game would be you in the stone age era trying to take on someone in the modern era.

I've been watching them too (though what's his face, the AI lead dude, drives me fucking crazy). I saw this but they didn't elaborate to what extent this was gonna be. I mean you're always gonna start as a FTL civ so stone age compared to modern era is pretty far fetched. I don't imagine "advanced" civs are gonna be spanning half the galaxy.

Quote:One example is if you decide to massively build up your fleet and go on a conquering rampage the other empires will start forming alliances/federations to stop you from growing out of control. The more you colonize or conquer the greater of a threat you will be perceived as.

But this is in EU4, HoI and even CK2 IIRC. My point is that there's not gonna be enough. You can't have just that and call it "deep" when something like EU4 has that as a minor component of the overall game. I don't think this is gonna be a bad game, I just see this more like a Civ game, an "arcade strategy game" than a paradox grand strategy game.

You make good points, Hopefully it will turn out to be more like a paradox grand strategy game in the end. Won't really know until May 9th Sad

― Carl Sagan
19-04-2016, 07:10 AM
I should note that to be fair I think this whole Blorg thing they got going on is a poor representation of what this game could be.
They're nowhere near as aggressive as they should be. Fuck friends, kill them all! And they're not exactly building their planets the best (because an hour of micro-ing a bunch of planets wouldn't make for a great stream I'm guessing) and not upgrading when they should be or colonizing when they should be etc..

It has potential and I REALLY hope it's as good as their other major titles, but we'll see.
Until proven otherwise I'll reserve my hypetrain ticket for HoI4.
19-04-2016, 09:01 AM
(19-04-2016 07:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I should note that to be fair I think this whole Blorg thing they got going on is a poor representation of what this game could be.
They're nowhere near as aggressive as they should be. Fuck friends, kill them all! And they're not exactly building their planets the best (because an hour of micro-ing a bunch of planets wouldn't make for a great stream I'm guessing) and not upgrading when they should be or colonizing when they should be etc..

It has potential and I REALLY hope it's as good as their other major titles, but we'll see.
Until proven otherwise I'll reserve my hypetrain ticket for HoI4.

I agree, I would have liked to see them take on a Warhammer 40k Style of play to really show off what being super aggressive would have resulted in. I was also hoping they were going to show off one of the other FTL methods than warp drive. So far most of the screenshots, trailers and live streams have shown off warp but not hyperspace or wormholes.

― Carl Sagan
29-04-2016, 09:32 PM
So wormholes look interesting. You build a wormhole station and that station has certain range and you can jump to any system within its range or jump to it if you're in its range.
Still don't know how hyperlanes are gonna work though, sounds like a crappier version of warp drives but we'll see.

Also, Martin is the most obnoxious person in the world (well, second to that kid from Fear of the Walking Dead). He constantly interrupts the dude with the beard, constantly. And he's shit at the game. He's the AI lead and he's fucking shit. I've never played it I can tell he's shit. Come Tuesday (because it'll be out on the 10th here, yay NZ..) I'm going to create a race to be played by the AI in my game called the Blorg. And when I come across them in my play through I am going to destroy them and pound them into the ground.