Stellaris

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2016, 09:00 AM
RE: Stellaris
I think that would be the case as well, sounds like Arumba isn't as good as believed when a game actually punishes you for screwing up.
I'm not fantastic at strategy games as much as I enjoy playing them but man I'm nowhere that bad.

1 more hour to go *twitches*

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2016, 05:52 PM
First game in, first system I scan (after my own), 23 pop Gaia world...
Next two systems I scan have colonable planets. Including a 22 pop world. In total, 4 colonable planets just within my inital borders.

Talk about luck...

[Image: oscar.png]
09-05-2016, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2016 08:44 PM by Worom.)
Yeah my luck wasn't as good, I had two gaia planets close enough where I could get to them without much issue, but the actual tiles on the planet suck something fierce, its like oh look at all the tiles....with no resources.....at all and oh look the rest of the planets around me I can't colonize except for the occasional one here and there.

Then I ran into an empire to the south of me that wasn't particularly happy to run into another species which turned into an instant rivalry and as soon as they were able they declared war on me and nearly wiped me out. I managed to find a counter for their ships and pushed them back but ultimately lost the war in a white peace so I fortunately didn't lose any territory.

Then after about 10 years or so they rebuilt their navy and came after me again, this time I was better prepared with stations at the closest planets to their territory to help defend plus a better teched up fleet. Still lost my first fleet but managed to wipe out their fleet too.

I rebuilt and then went after them with a much improved fleet, and invaded one of their planets and bombed the crap out of their home world at that point their empire actually fractured into four different pieces, the original empire reduced to just their home world. It was glorious.

I'm the United Nations of Earth

The Dommana Galactic Kingdom was the empire that fractured into the multiple pieces you see in the screen shot
[Image: 10zdc94.png]

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes Worom's post
09-05-2016, 11:21 PM
United Nations of Earth haha nice.
Don't neglect your fleet. Always keep a strong fleet. Deterrent by show of force is always more effective than deterrent by alliance IMO.

I am the United Hydari Empire. An Empire of space reptilians who see themselves as superior to everyone else who they view as cockroaches that need to be squashed. (even though the race avatar I picked seems rather friendly but oh well.).

[Image: 20160510170222_1.jpg]

It might look tiny, but it's dense. 8 planets strong. I basically just held off on colonization for a little while and built up mining stations and my navy (having a large navy helps against space pirates and shit, always good to healthily outnumber them so you don't lose a ship). I than colonized some and expanded etc..
I annexed a pre-FTL race which basically gave me an extra easy planet. I enslaved them (because Hydari are superior to everyone else) but slavery isn't really me so I just purged them and killed them all off and replaced their planet with Hydari and robots.

I attacked a small nation to the north but didn't know I had to drag the war goals across so it ended in basically white peace. >< While I had a true Gorf Dominion attacked them so I attacked the Gorf Dominion. The Gorf Dominion won the war before I could shut them down though and annexed the small nation. Luckily I was able to easily win the war against the Gorf Dominion and took 2 planets. And discovered the big issue with hyperdrives... Both planets were cut off because I was stupid. >< oh well you live you learn. Purged those planets too. Can't have no filthy aliens on my planets thank you very much.

That tiny orange blob to the north was very larg, larger than the Dorf Dominion actually but they only had like 3 planets. Dork Dominion attacked them after our war and destroyed all their frontier outposts and took two of their planets. Now they're a tiny single planet empire. >< It allows me to push down the side now that it's opened up.
Gonna crush the Dorf Dominion for good next war.

Oh and everyone hates me. Apparently 3 genocides isn't very popular.
Not that I'm worried, I'll purge them all eventually anyway.

[Image: 20160510170317_1.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
10-05-2016, 12:20 AM
Quote:but slavery isn't really me so I just purged them and killed them all off and replaced their planet with Hydari and robots.

You dont like slavery, so you rather kill em all?
Are you sure you arent christian or even god himself?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
10-05-2016, 02:35 AM
(10-05-2016 12:20 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
Quote:but slavery isn't really me so I just purged them and killed them all off and replaced their planet with Hydari and robots.

You dont like slavery, so you rather kill em all?
Are you sure you arent christian or even god himself?

I never said I wasn't. Well, except the Christian thing, I'm certainly not a Christian.

10-05-2016, 06:11 AM
(09-05-2016 11:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  United Nations of Earth haha nice.
Don't neglect your fleet. Always keep a strong fleet. Deterrent by show of force is always more effective than deterrent by alliance IMO.

I am the United Hydari Empire. An Empire of space reptilians who see themselves as superior to everyone else who they view as cockroaches that need to be squashed. (even though the race avatar I picked seems rather friendly but oh well.).

[Image: 20160510170222_1.jpg]

It might look tiny, but it's dense. 8 planets strong. I basically just held off on colonization for a little while and built up mining stations and my navy (having a large navy helps against space pirates and shit, always good to healthily outnumber them so you don't lose a ship). I than colonized some and expanded etc..
I annexed a pre-FTL race which basically gave me an extra easy planet. I enslaved them (because Hydari are superior to everyone else) but slavery isn't really me so I just purged them and killed them all off and replaced their planet with Hydari and robots.

I attacked a small nation to the north but didn't know I had to drag the war goals across so it ended in basically white peace. >< While I had a true Gorf Dominion attacked them so I attacked the Gorf Dominion. The Gorf Dominion won the war before I could shut them down though and annexed the small nation. Luckily I was able to easily win the war against the Gorf Dominion and took 2 planets. And discovered the big issue with hyperdrives... Both planets were cut off because I was stupid. >< oh well you live you learn. Purged those planets too. Can't have no filthy aliens on my planets thank you very much.

That tiny orange blob to the north was very larg, larger than the Dorf Dominion actually but they only had like 3 planets. Dork Dominion attacked them after our war and destroyed all their frontier outposts and took two of their planets. Now they're a tiny single planet empire. >< It allows me to push down the side now that it's opened up.
Gonna crush the Dorf Dominion for good next war.

Oh and everyone hates me. Apparently 3 genocides isn't very popular.
Not that I'm worried, I'll purge them all eventually anyway.

[Image: 20160510170317_1.jpg]

Yeah I learned the having a strong fleet thing the hard way. I'm way too used to having the AI in other games let you build and build and build and never doing anything about it. Stellaris seems to take a oh, you have no real fleet? Lets attack while you least expect it.

― Carl Sagan
10-05-2016, 08:35 PM
God yes, this game is punishing as hell. The AI allies everyone. You're either up against a single dude or you're up against 5. There's no in between.
I'm not really complaining, just making an observation.

One complaint though, this game needs map modes like other Paradox games. Especially a diplomatic map mode.
Way to hard to keep track of who's allied to who. At least if it was a historical game you'd remember France is allied to Austria. But there's like 20 empires I don't remember a single name of and so it makes it super hard.

11-05-2016, 06:15 AM
(10-05-2016 08:35 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  God yes, this game is punishing as hell. The AI allies everyone. You're either up against a single dude or you're up against 5. There's no in between.

One complaint though, this game needs map modes like other Paradox games. Especially a diplomatic map mode.
Way to hard to keep track of who's allied to who. At least if it was a historical game you'd remember France is allied to Austria. But there's like 20 empires I don't remember a single name of and so it makes it super hard.

I'm hoping for that as well, i'm sure someone will mod it in if paradox doesn't do it themselves soon.

Also I learned that just because you appear stronger if your defenses are a mismatch for who your attacking you will get your ass handed to you. I attacked an empire that was supposed to have an inferior navy. However they had weapons for which I had no defense against and I got ripped apart when I attacked them.

― Carl Sagan
11-05-2016, 09:54 AM
(11-05-2016 06:15 AM)Worom Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 08:35 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  God yes, this game is punishing as hell. The AI allies everyone. You're either up against a single dude or you're up against 5. There's no in between.

I'm hoping for that as well, i'm sure someone will mod it in if paradox doesn't do it themselves soon.

Also I learned that just because you appear stronger if your defenses are a mismatch for who your attacking you will get your ass handed to you. I attacked an empire that was supposed to have an inferior navy. However they had weapons for which I had no defense against and I got ripped apart when I attacked them.

Yea I've found that too. Like getting ripped to shreds because I didn't have shields (because the research hadn't come up) and they had lasers which rip through armor.

I wouldn't object to some way to get some intel on your enemies ships prior to going to war. It seems silly the only way to be able to tell is to go up against them.
Especially considering how damaging it is if you get the configuration wrong, how expensive and time consuming it is to refurbish and how expensive and time consuming and war losing it is if you your navy gets crushed.

And once you figure out one guy the next has the complete opposite...

I was rocking throwers (rip shields) with lasers (rip armor) but it wasn't working out for me so I'm giving torps, lazers and point defense a go. Hopefully going full balance will do the trick.

OH and use the bird ships next time if you haven't yet. The small pic doesn't do them justice, they're really nice looking.