Stephen Colbert

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Stephen Colbert
For those of you that don't know, Stephen Colbert, from comedy central's "Colbert Report" is doing his normal bit during election years and trying to "run for president of South Carolina." Which I can generally understand, he is doing it for publicity and to be funny. What I don't understand is the media coverage behiend his little stunt.

Despite not being on the ballot, and encouraging people to vote for Herman Cain who is no longer running, the media is eating it up. Some outlets even saying he attempting some valid political change..

So I guess the question is, What is your opionion of Stephen Colbert?
Is he still just a comedian/satirist., a distraction, or what?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2012, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2012 06:44 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Stephen Colbert
(21-01-2012 05:21 PM)Squid Wrote:  So I guess the question is, What is your opionion of Stephen Colbert?

He's not only fucking hilarious, but his brilliant idea to start his own Super PAC and his blatant, in-your-face ridicule of the Supreme Court's idiotic Citizens United decision is our best hope for a Constitutional Amendment to override it.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Everything that GirlyMan said and then some.

I think that besides trying to be entertaining, which he certainly is, both he and Stewart are tying to point out the inherent unfairness and corrupt nature of the campaigning system as it is. With the loopholes, lack of transparency and vagueness of what qualifies as 'coercing', it is impossible for anyone who isn't already fabulously wealthy or backed by special interest groups to get meaningful air time.

I personally am looking forward to the inevitable “Letter to a Colbert Nation” joke.

"Gary, it's burning, what we gonna do"
-Bill Bailey
[+] 1 user Likes Dunhill808's post
21-01-2012, 07:58 PM
It is all a satire of the fucked up system, and it is great.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley