Stephen Fry on meeting God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2015, 05:24 PM
RE: Stephen Fry on meeting God
(28-03-2015 05:00 PM)illinoisman Wrote:  What I see over and over is atheists arguing that if there's a creator, that it must also be caretaker. That's not how it works.

Because in the real world, that's called a "deadbeat dad."

Worse yet, the deadbeat dad leaves us a cryptic book full of fables (that some family swear they understand yet disagree on what it says). That book says he loves us, but we were born with all sorts of faults but can redeem ourselves by finding him. Then he doesn't call, but he wrote he'll kill us if we don't do what he says.

Makes sense.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
28-03-2015, 05:24 PM
(28-03-2015 05:00 PM)illinoisman Wrote:  
(28-03-2015 04:54 PM)kim Wrote:  I would even ask: Do you think this world reflects the existence of an omniscient, omnipotent and all-loving deity?

Yes on both counts. This is off topic of course, but since you ask, yes. God creates and maintains the universe and everything in it, but it's up to us to decide how we choose to live. That's what free will is for. God doesn't like bad things any more than you and I do, but when you create a universe, you kind of have to let it play out, even though you do have the power to stop or change anything. What I see over and over is atheists arguing that if there's a creator, that it must also be caretaker. That's not how it works. Also don't forget that being benevolent means giving people freedom. What we choose to do with that freedom is our responsibility. I'm sure we would all resent anybody who doesn't let us have freedom.

I see. You know how it works. You know that he maintains the universe.
How do you know that? What does this maintenance consist of? What physical events in the universe are explained by this maintenance? How is maintenance different from caretaking?

Your 'explanations' explain nothing, your 'knowledge' is delusion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-03-2015, 05:37 PM
[Image: Fart_button.jpg]
Find all posts by this user