Stephen King's "Desperation"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2011, 08:15 PM

Stephen King's "Desperation"
Since I noticed 2 other forum members mentioned it in another topic of mine I thought I'd create a thread specifically for the book. First and foremost, have you read the book, and beyond that for those who have, what did you like or not like about it.

For me I liked the characters, specifically Marinville. I disliked David Carver, in that I felt King was trying to make him seem older than he was, on top of that Carver simply annoyed me in his approach to situations.

I liked the backstory about the China Pit, I enjoyed when they story was told from Tak's point of view, spreading like a virus from person to person. And in summary, it's one of Stephen King's better works.
Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2011, 09:39 PM
RE: Stephen King's "Desperation"
I did like Desperation, but didn't think it was one of his better books. If he'd kept it a little more "realistic" I think it would have been creepier. I find he sometimes takes a really good idea and runs out of the stadium with it. I like it better when he makes the touchdown, stays in the end zone and spikes the ball. Perfect example: The Long Walk. (I know, novella not a novel, but I think THAT'S one of his best works)
Sometimes I wonder if he'd been better off staying with his domestic violence phase. (Rose Madder was fodder, but at least it was GOOD fodder)

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2011, 09:44 PM
(22-02-2011 09:39 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Perfect example: The Long Walk. (I know, novella not a novel, but I think THAT'S one of his best works)

Actually, I would agree, but not for the reason you're expecting.

King nearly always flubs the ending in his novels. Even Desperation was far from perfect. It was much better than his others, but it's far from his best work. When he's given more than a hundred or so pages to write in, he can't resist the temptation to try and write a grand, sweeping, impressive ending, and it just doesn't work.

He's much better in his shorter works. His short stories are actually excellent. But, because they're not full novels, almost no one knows about any of them. I know a lot of King fans who weren't aware that he wrote any short stories at all.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Most definitely agreed. The Bachman Books, and Different Seasons are my two favorite works of his.

Edit - For the record, I think he's a little hit-and-miss with his short stories. I prefer his novellas above all.

Just visiting.

-SR
22-02-2011, 10:11 PM

Well I love King, but the main reason is his awesome character development. He's not perfect though. I'm actually reading Everything's Eventual right now. As for Desperation, sorry to say I read it years ago, actually immediately after it was published so I sadly remember very few details.
22-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Anyone read Under the Dome yet?

Shit, did I just hijack?

Just visiting.

-SR
22-02-2011, 10:18 PM

I actually enjoyed Under The Dome. Now many damned it because admittedly the ending was just OK to maybe bad, but I really enjoy stories about people forced into odd situations like that. SK does a reall good job with them too.
22-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Me too. I've learned to kind of expect sub-par endings and to just enjoy the story. I really liked Under the Dome, and even liked the IDEA presented at the end. Just thought it was poorly executed. Good book though.

Just visiting.

-SR
23-02-2011, 01:49 AM

First off The Long Walk was AMAZING! I completely agree!!

For me the biggest miss as far as his novels go was "Bag of Bones", the entire book was just crap.

I thoroughly enjoyed the following though:
Insomnia (LOVED the concept)
Dark Tower Series (not to blow it but the ending sucked)
Firestarter (I don't know why but I really bonded with the plight of the two characters, it was written so well that you couldn't help but do so)
Dreamcatcher (I enjoyed it so much I even enjoyed the shitty movie for it as well)

Another thing, who thought the ending to his movie adaptation The Mist was good? Not good in the sense that it patched things together, but good as in it brought out raw emotion. I've seen a LOT of movies and for me the ending was the only one that actually made me FEEL something. A mixture between "Oh... fuck..." and just plain sadness.
23-02-2011, 06:06 AM

First of all I think I'm one of the few people on the Planet that really likes the ending to The Dark Tower. Yeah the last couple books were weaker than the others, but IMO there was no better way to end it.

As for what SK books have moved me the most the list goes: The Dark Tower, The Stand, Gerald's Game, Misery, Delores Claiborne, The Green Mile and Pet Semetary. Four Season was awesome too!