Stephen Kings "Under the Dome"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2013, 03:29 AM
Stephen Kings "Under the Dome"
I've made a second attempt to try and finish the book, but I'm getting that "bored" feeling again. Instead of shelving it, I've been reading it piecemeal. I want to finish it (completionist maybe).

Has anyone read it, and did you find it enjoyable once you got near to the end?

This book really feels like a screenplay for a tv mini series (which one is being made) - it could be condensed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2013, 05:14 AM
RE: Stephen Kings "Under the Dome"
I found it too long also. My interested picked back up as it got closer to the end, but really, I was very disappointed with the actual ending. The explanation of the Dome was lacking, and too much was just written off as, "beyond human comprehension", a tactic usually reserved for amateur writers.

Overall, I was unimpressed.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
27-04-2013, 10:24 AM
I love reading Stephen King and some parts of his work inspired me to go through and turn my own ideas into a novel.

I however indeed prefer his shorter works, those that get to the point. Which is funny when I realized I was unable to write my own book in any condensed way without cutting out parts that I found inherently required for the story to work. Sad

I have not read the dome and from what I'm hearing it might be a bad idea. Maybe it could ruin my opinion of Stephen King?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Author of Earthborn - The Eternal War. A dystopian tale of a battle between reason and faith, mankind and survival.

Large free sample available on http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/306721
[+] 1 user Likes Earthborn's post
27-04-2013, 06:54 PM
(27-04-2013 10:24 AM)Earthborn Wrote:  Maybe it could ruin my opinion of Stephen King?

I don't think it would ever come to that. Lets say worse case scenario he goes off the rails and not only writes a poor story but one that's offensive in every possible way to me - I can still look back and enjoy all his other previous works.

The Bachman Books were my first introduction to Stephen King, and I think they still might be my favourite stories.
28-04-2013, 04:49 AM
I thought "Under The Dome" was not that good - along with most of King's recent books. I'm a long time fan,but maybe he's lost his old touch?
28-04-2013, 04:51 AM
(27-04-2013 10:24 AM)Earthborn Wrote:  I however indeed prefer his shorter works, those that get to the point.
Agreed. King's short stories are mostly kick ass.
28-04-2013, 05:49 AM
Re: Stephen Kings "Under the Dome"
I loved this book...for about 60% of the way and then it just started to implode. This is apparently a novel he tried to write decades ago but couldn't finish.

He does a wonderful job building characters, building relationships among them, and giving some subtle hints that maybe this dome thing is terrorism.

And then the characters fall flat, he ignored the relationships, and the reason for the dome is so utterly predictable that it is infuriating. I've never been so mad after finishing a book.

Evolve
14-05-2013, 11:01 PM
I'm just about at the rape scene again (first one, just in case there are more later on), and I just realized something about the story that I don't like.

We have supernatural phenomena affecting a small population - a godly and intelligent force at work - and people are more or less nonchalant about it, and continue to focus on their small petty problems. I'm not talking about people nearly going into shock and having to force themselves to think about minor things that they comprehend. I mean they don't really care.

If I were in that world, my adrenaline would be pumping so hard I'd pass out. And when I awoke, and fully comprehending that magic, or intelligent forces exists that might as well be godly, I'd go partially insane. I couldn't trust anything in the world, and would have no idea what to expect the next day since, apparently, supernatural like forces exist.
15-05-2013, 05:43 AM
King is so Eighties... Dodgy

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2013, 07:10 AM
(14-05-2013 11:01 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  I'm just about at the rape scene again (first one, just in case there are more later on), and I just realized something about the story that I don't like.

We have supernatural phenomena affecting a small population - a godly and intelligent force at work - and people are more or less nonchalant about it, and continue to focus on their small petty problems. I'm not talking about people nearly going into shock and having to force themselves to think about minor things that they comprehend. I mean they don't really care.

If I were in that world, my adrenaline would be pumping so hard I'd pass out. And when I awoke, and fully comprehending that magic, or intelligent forces exists that might as well be godly, I'd go partially insane. I couldn't trust anything in the world, and would have no idea what to expect the next day since, apparently, supernatural like forces exist.

I was a bit apprehensive about saying it was supernatural in origin and if I remember correctly, a lot of the townsfolk seem to rationalize it as some sort of terrorist attack. Which they use as motivation for continuing their American ways.

Evolve