Stephen Kings "Under the Dome"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2013, 01:53 PM
RE: Stephen Kings "Under the Dome"
I actually really liked Under the Dome, but then again I am an unabashed King enthusiast. It is not his best work by any means, but I thought it was pretty well done if a little bit long (something he has been guilty of in the past by his own admission...Hell this is the guy who added another 300 hundred some pages to the Stand just because he wanted to see it as he originally wrote it, and a series of 8 books (including the Wind Through the Keyhole) plus a short story (Little Sisters of Eluria) in the Dark Tower series.

I thought Under the Dome was a pretty interesting take on human behavior and how people react to a crisis. While the circumstances of said crisis are definitely of the King variety I thought the reactions his characters had were plausible and believable. I have thought about rereading it before the series on CBS starts in a week or so, but haven't had the time. Overall I recommend it, but I would definitely rank a lot of other King works ahead of it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2013, 03:49 PM
(13-06-2013 01:53 PM)AtheistTeacher Wrote:  I actually really liked Under the Dome, but then again I am an unabashed King enthusiast. It is not his best work by any means, but I thought it was pretty well done if a little bit long (something he has been guilty of in the past by his own admission...Hell this is the guy who added another 300 hundred some pages to the Stand just because he wanted to see it as he originally wrote it, and a series of 8 books (including the Wind Through the Keyhole) plus a short story (Little Sisters of Eluria) in the Dark Tower series.

I thought Under the Dome was a pretty interesting take on human behavior and how people react to a crisis. While the circumstances of said crisis are definitely of the King variety I thought the reactions his characters had were plausible and believable. I have thought about rereading it before the series on CBS starts in a week or so, but haven't had the time. Overall I recommend it, but I would definitely rank a lot of other King works ahead of it.

I haven't read it, but I'm looking forward to the CBS series as well. I have it on my kindle, just not sure if I'll get to it or not.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
13-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Re: Stephen Kings "Under the Dome"
Am entertainment weekly article seemed to indicate some changes to story that may include a change to the ending. If so, it could drastically improve the story.

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
13-06-2013, 04:11 PM
I can't wait until Chas notices we're talking about television in the Literature forum! Evil_monster

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-06-2013, 08:25 PM
I read that same article. Looks like their goal is to make this into a read show with multiple seasons unlike the regular mini-series treatment some of King's books have gotten. Could be interesting, and I think the source material could lend itself pretty well to a episodic television show. Kinda like a Walking Dead or Game of Thrones approach...Both of those shows have taken some major deviations from the source material as well but still remain true to the original intent of the work.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
[+] 2 users Like AtheistTeacher's post
08-07-2013, 06:18 PM
The TV show reminded me to finish this thread. I did finish the book, but have no plans to watch the TV show.

The book started to get more interesting, and easier to go flip through near the end when the dome was finally being noticed, and the scifi elements were picking up.

The ending was adequate but disjointed. I think the end should have had some sort of relationship to what was going on in the town. Maybe something like all sentient beings have their own little lives, and you shouldn't manipulate or torture them - whether you're a politician, or kid with a magnifying glass.. or "other".

I still hold to the belief that the story could have been cut down a lot, which would have improved it.

note: ghosts talking to dogs Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
08-07-2013, 07:07 PM
I am currently watching the series. Sorry, no, I did not read the book. So far it seems fairly intriguing as far as the origin of the dome and why it's there. The one thing that bugs me though...

Doesn't anyone remember The Simpsons Movie when a dome was placed over the town of Springfield?

It just seems odd that King would plagiarize Groening.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
08-07-2013, 08:39 PM
(08-07-2013 07:07 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  It just seems odd that King would plagiarize Groening.

Stephen King claims that he started "Under the Dome" many years ago, something like in the 1970s, and only getting something like 100 pages through.

However he was unable to continue it for one reason or another and shelved it. It was lost. Then in the 2000s he started it again, rewriting from memory, from scratch. But was daunted by the size and technical aspects of it, and shelved it again. Later he finished it.