Steps in becoming atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Steps in becoming atheist
1 - You believe it all, the bible and everything
2 - You start being selective about the bible
3 - You start wondering whether the priest is ACTUALLY always right
4 - You stop "believing in the Church". Now you just think there is some sort of supreme being, that doesn't correspond to the one of the bible.
5 - You realize there's no reason whatsoever to believe in such a god, and that you do just because you're used to and because of wishful thinking
6 - You figure out there's no god

This is the way I did it.. it took me about 2 years to reach step 6.
I was 14, just in time for confirmation.. Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2011, 03:50 PM
RE: Steps in becoming atheist
OR

you were never infected with the plague of religious indoctrination as a child, so you have no reason to believe in a god

OR

you believe in God until you're old enough to think, then you read the Bible and go "WTF!?!?!" and become an atheist within the hour

OR

you love the taste of deep-fried baby and enjoy sinning and murdering innocent Christians in your spare time

Welcome to the forum.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
09-06-2011, 03:54 PM

I was raised Catholic, went to 12 years of Catholic school, and have a VERY religious family and that is EXACTLY how it happened to me!!!!! Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2011, 10:34 PM
I will have you know buddy, deep fried baby is shared among many non-christians. The muslims, satanists, pagans, Japanese, and many others are all proclaimed by christians to eat babies.

So your gourmet leaning towards deep fried baby leads you to many possibilities =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
09-06-2011, 11:46 PM

I wasn't raised in a family that really pushed religion so it happened a little bit different for me. At 14 I just believed there was a god, but I never really prayed or anything. It was then though that I started to look for a purpose in my life, and I came to the answer of god. So I did research online, but then I finally understood the principles of atheism. Then there was a short time when I believe their had to be a god, everyone online was wrong, but finally I just gave up on god because of overwhelming proof against him. The process took about 3 months. So:

1. A casual Catholic, not that interested in religion
2. Looking for a higher purpose in life, turning to religion
3. Finding info that contradicts religion
4. Still believing in God even though the info was overwhelming.
5. Becoming full-blown atheist.
10-06-2011, 12:04 AM
I just plain never bought the lines, and I was raised in/around a baptist family. "God" is something I've never been able to wrap my head around, because there is no end to the obvious issues with everything that exists. The only thing I was slow about was claiming atheism. For the most part I don't care that much, but I'm on this forum because I've gotten to that boiling point and I try my best not to be militant about this. I found a refuge because I needed one. Unfortunately this makes me less learned on religion than most of the forum member's, but generally I don't think anyone notices that I put forth arguments more from opinion and logic than from factual evidence.

On a side note this forum has helped to make me feel more militant rather than less, but at least I feel I can have rational discussions.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
10-06-2011, 09:09 AM
(09-06-2011 03:50 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  you were never infected with the plague of religious indoctrination as a child, so you have no reason to believe in a god
of course
(09-06-2011 03:50 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  you believe in God until you're old enough to think, then you read the Bible and go "WTF!?!?!" and become an atheist within the hour
I think it's very unlikely to change views within the hour, especially when you're an adult.
(09-06-2011 03:50 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Welcome to the forum.

Thanks
10-06-2011, 09:31 AM

Only my grandfather was very religious.
My immediate family, we went to church every now and then. God never really came up in any conversation. So I didnt really expect much resistance when I made my deconversion public. [Apparently spellcheck doesn't register deconversion as a word.]

Anyway, my steps were pretty similar.

1. Realize the bible is a manmade rule book to force a growing jewish population to act a certain way under Roman rule that just totally got out of hand. [Way to go guys].
2. Fiddle around trying to justify the Concept of God
3. Realize what I'm doing, fall to Deism.
4. Realize that step 3 is just as silly. Fall to 'Weak Atheism/Agnosticism
5. Move to Canada, totally forget about religion and the deep south. Totally forget that I'm at atheist. [In that I mean, I never had to think about god and go 'Yeah, not me dude'. It was just totally a null subject. Noone brought up religion at all]
6. Come back down the Deep South.
7. Remember Everything. Join TTA.
10-06-2011, 01:16 PM
I don't have much of a list, I was born a skeptic which does not mean that I don't believe in things it just means I look at the evidence instead of using faith to make my decision for me. I sought out the church, and then another, and another, etc... I came to the conclusion that while I can't rule out the possibility of a supreme being, I can confidently say that nothing in any bible makes any sense, most of it must be lies, and people who can follow it blindly have something wrong with them. I call it laziness. I believe that the most recent step in our evolutionary stage must have been accidental, the ability to be extremely lazy even in the face of overwhelming reason. Still religion is evil. EVIL I say *Fists raised to the heavens*

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2011, 01:39 PM
As BC put it,

(09-06-2011 03:50 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  you were never infected with the plague of religious indoctrination as a child, so you have no reason to believe in a god

was my case.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!