Stereotypes that hurt atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2012, 09:29 PM
RE: Stereotypes that hurt atheism
If you encounter someone that thinks this way, you'll likely have to teach them the value of critical thinking, then convince them to apply said skills so that they can stop using stereotypes and start backing up their thoughts and assertions with factual evidence.

Then, perhaps, you can get to talk about what atheists truly are and aren't.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2012, 10:08 PM
(07-06-2012 08:43 PM)PeterKA Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 08:36 PM)Thomas Wrote:  ...and post it on the web for the enjoyment of others. Yea baby Shocking
At least we atheists know that no one is watching us.
I have found that unless you even numbers, there is a high probability that someone, at various times, ends up watching... but then, isn't that part of fun of group sex? Living and learning at the same time.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-06-2012, 01:49 AM
First of all thank you so much for posting this,i battle it constantly.Ok you live in America where all thay stuff you said has probably been gotten used to even if not supported.I live in Kenya where homosexuality,swinging,threeways and even atheism is new.Though i am straight and not too 'westernized' as they say back home,people look at me and assume i chose atheist as a way out of morality.They think albeit they are positive that i turned atheist as an excuse to not go to church,to sleep around,to smoke weed or pop pills which i have been known for.But that is totally wrong,its a lifestyle i choose but cannot change their views.
I put myself in their shoes and though ignorant,it does seem exactly that way i mean if you were raised religious then became atheist,you are a lost cause in their eyes ergo immoral.
If you were raised atheist =your parents and society did a bad job of raising you and you still are a lost cause.
Funny enough if you convert to another religion,it might be weird but in their eyes your still a good person like one of my uncles.

I know its hard to defend but that is a stereotype that cannot be finished as all stereotypes are,they might be true or false but they will always exist.I for instance love chicken(and watermelon),stereotype?yes False?no
08-06-2012, 01:50 AM
(07-06-2012 10:08 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 08:43 PM)PeterKA Wrote:  At least we atheists know that no one is watching us.
I have found that unless you even numbers, there is a high probability that someone, at various times, ends up watching... but then, isn't that part of fun of group sex? Living and learning at the same time.

So true
08-06-2012, 01:54 AM
(07-06-2012 09:29 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  If you encounter someone that thinks this way, you'll likely have to teach them the value of critical thinking, then convince them to apply said skills so that they can stop using stereotypes and start backing up their thoughts and assertions with factual evidence.

Then, perhaps, you can get to talk about what atheists truly are and aren't.

Not to be rude but have you ever talked someone out of a stereo type,critical thinking is for the 1% we have to accept that.Stereotypes are like a way of life for man in existence for as long as man has lived.Not all christians are religious nuts but most atheists see them that way.We have to deal with it,the majority of us will always be termed as immoral
08-06-2012, 02:01 AM
(08-06-2012 01:49 AM)Sirchrisnificent Wrote:  I for instance love chicken (and watermelon)
I knew it! I just knew it!
Your type are all the same!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-06-2012, 03:24 AM
(08-06-2012 02:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-06-2012 01:49 AM)Sirchrisnificent Wrote:  I for instance love chicken (and watermelon)
I knew it! I just knew it!
Your type are all the same!

hehe, think it just don't say it out loud
[+] 1 user Likes Sirchrisnificent's post
08-06-2012, 05:29 AM
This one is sort of enforced by some. It's condescension then refuting arguments really poorly. It just makes people look stupid. Seriously, atheists aren't perfect people and its annoying when people try to portray themselves that way.

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
08-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Hey, Elemts.

The simple response is: you're being prejudiced. It's the simple response because it's accurate.

Stereotypes are not facts.

I don't accept it when people hit me with a black stereotype, there's no reason that you should accept an Atheist stereotype.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
08-06-2012, 04:25 PM
(08-06-2012 11:07 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Elemts.

The simple response is: you're being prejudiced. It's the simple response because it's accurate.

Stereotypes are not facts.

I don't accept it when people hit me with a black stereotype, there's no reason that you should accept an Atheist stereotype.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Huh... and to think I didn't think of it in such a simple way! Smile