Sterotypes I don't get

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Sterotypes I don't get
Hey,
I've been struggling with this one for a while:

Why is associating fried chicken and african-americans considered racist ?

I just don't get it ?
Does it imply they're poor or have poor qualifications to get a job ?
Does it have to do with colonel Sanders and the deep south ?
What's going on ?

And - let's make a thread of it - what stereotypes don't YOU get ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2011, 01:03 PM

RE: Sterotypes I don't get
Stereotypes of Blacks & Fried Chicken & Watermelon

I think it's considered racist today because whites are suppose to apologize for the history they had nothing to do with, so as to make for a perpetual victim/slave mentality that then fragments the black and white community with old news, that is intended to inflame old history and the scars that are perpetually brought into the new centuries.

While, when it comes to the relationship that's cultivated from that in today's blended society, one finds racism is not an exclusive to whites. Blacks can be racists too. While the stereotype that is claimed to perpetuate that racist chasm so that mutual respect as people is thought to never be able to be achieved, is proven to be an elective cause for conflict.

Tyler Perry and Spike Lee are examples. They've both made history, and millions, perpetuating and exploiting for profit the black stereotype. Perry is so successful at it that he made history as the first black person wearing all four hats in the trade (producer, director, screen writer, actor) to create the first black television and movie studios, in Atlanta Georgia.Tyler Perry Productions.

So when it comes to stereotypes, clearly what he and Spike Lee don't get is how they're bad, when those two gentlemen have garnered a fortune from perpetually exploiting them for profit.

Personally, when someone lives up to the stereotype, they shouldn't be surprised when the stereotypical judgments for their actions are forthcoming. When blacks call blacks niggers, (not, niggas) white's don't have anything to apologize for.

As to what other stereotypes are at issue, I don't think about them until they appear, so a list is not at the ready.
Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2011, 01:19 PM
No idea.

I treat everyone the same. Exactly the same. You'd be surprised how many people don't like this. It's interpreted as being insensitive. But it's the exact opposite. I treat black, asian, gay, male, female the same.

People seem to have a propensity towards wanting to be a "victim". Therefore, they always have to look for a slight in the littlest of things. As far as the fried chicken thing, I think that came from the South. No idea what it has to do with anything. Same with watermelon. I'm white and love watermelon.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
27-03-2011, 03:07 PM
If everyone was the same color with the same hair color, stood the same height, weighed the same, was equaly strong and qualified in all fields to everyone else, had the same tone of voice etc. some people would find something to discriminate against others. Why? Because some people feel so inferior that they have to prove that they are superior to others. They feel that they need to prove this to others, but they really need to prove it to themselves. If they learned how to be happy with who they were they wouldn't have to step on others. This doesn't take all cases in account, but it covers a large amount.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
27-03-2011, 04:07 PM
I don't understand the American stereotype that all British people live in 1845.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
27-03-2011, 04:17 PM
I never heard that one, but then I am Canadian.

Stereotypes are hard to understand when you are not in the group that spews them. I remember when I used to be with a certain bunch of people and hearing them stereotyping others. I wondered how these (friends??) of mine could be so sure they were right about any of their opinions. I eventually left them behind and soon found myself meeting people who proved conclusively that my old (friends????) were totally full of "["SHIT"]". Sorry, I don't have a 1,000,000 watt neon sign to emphasize the word shit to its relative level.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
27-03-2011, 07:31 PM
i am heavily tattooed (been in the business for 25 years) and you won't BELIEVE people assume about me due to stereotypes. I could write a book
27-03-2011, 07:40 PM

(27-03-2011 07:31 PM)catdance62 Wrote:  i am heavily tattooed (been in the business for 25 years) and you won't BELIEVE people assume about me due to stereotypes. I could write a book
Maybe you should. Smile Seriously. It would go a long way to maybe help dispel the stereotypes you're talking about.
I love ink on other people. I'm to flighty to ever commit to something I know I will, like anything else, tire of after having the experience for long enough to grow bored with it. But Ink on other people is really cool. I admire and respect people who commit to that level of self-knowledge. Same with piercings and implants. It's truly a unique experience and I see them as works of art walking around to be admired.

Write. Take pictures. Educate the ignorance. Ink your truth...on paper this time. Wink
Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2011, 08:40 PM
I think it's a dying stereotype, but one I heard in Japan was that black males only go to Japan to "steal" Japanese women. Completely unfair, especially knowing the hard-working and bright-futured black men I met in Japan, who were there for their careers and education, some even already married.

Along with the crazy idea that women of [any given race] are reserved for men of [same given race], it's something I never understood.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Quote:If everyone was the same color with the same hair color, stood the same height, weighed the same, was equaly strong and qualified in all fields to everyone else, had the same tone of voice etc. some people would find something to discriminate against others
I'm guessing the borg with odd numbers discriminate against the borg with even numbers Tongue

@GassyKitten
Implants are art ??? Or am I thinking of the wrong kind.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin