Stick to my guns and fail or compromise and pass?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2011, 06:23 AM

Stick to my guns and fail or compromise and pass?
I'm an atheist college student who's taking a course in the fall that will be focused on fiction about "global catastrophes and the struggle to survive and rebuild civilization afterward." I'm looking forward to it, though I have some worry: if the prof is evangelistic and this study of apocalyptic fiction is used to bring up his own beliefs, how do I stand firm against crazy beliefs without damaging my grade?
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2011, 07:32 AM
RE: Stick to my guns and fail or compromise and pass?
(02-06-2011 06:23 AM)Dave from PA Wrote:  I'm an atheist college student who's taking a course in the fall that will be focused on fiction about "global catastrophes and the struggle to survive and rebuild civilization afterward." I'm looking forward to it, though I have some worry: if the prof is evangelistic and this study of apocalyptic fiction is used to bring up his own beliefs, how do I stand firm against crazy beliefs without damaging my grade?

State your beliefs openly and have a dialogue. I went to a catholic college and all of my professors were religious folks but they were always up for some healthy debate and open discussion. Hell, my best and most enjoyable talks were with a nun! If you are negatively graded because of your lack of religious views and this was evident, that is the basis for a formal complaint to the school and I'd have no problem taking it to the top and demanding something be done. I don't think you'll have much of a problem though.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Stick to your guns , no doubt about it.
If you back down , you'll look down upon yourself later.
And if the professor discriminates against you for your own beliefs or lack thereof then you can easily report him to the administration.
I'm guessing not all students are christian evangelists....

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
02-06-2011, 07:58 AM
(02-06-2011 07:51 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Stick to your guns , no doubt about it.
If you back down , you'll look down upon yourself later.
And if the professor discriminates against you for your own beliefs or lack thereof then you can easily report him to the administration.
I'm guessing not all students are christian evangelists....

Even in all of my classes, many of which were expressly religious in nature as I said I went to a catholic college, my being openly critical and highly skeptical even to the point of being quite infamous amongst the professors in the program, I seemed to get the best grades in those classes. Cool Most professors, at least the good ones, enjoy dialogue and debate.
02-06-2011, 09:43 AM
I'd say stick to your beliefs. If they choose to mark you down because of it sue their arses!

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing". "But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It proves you exist and so therefore you don't. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
-DA
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Hey, Dave.

Out of curiosity, what are the odds that the teacher will be an Evangelist?

Does your college have an ombudsman? If your teacher affects your mark because of what you believe, go to the ombudsman. You're in college, not the Wild West. People can't get away with that sort of discrimination. Don't sweat it. Be yourself.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
02-06-2011, 03:12 PM

(02-06-2011 12:24 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Out of curiosity, what are the odds that the teacher will be an Evangelist?

I've heard around campus that he's a fervent believer and that it comes up from time to time in his classes.

Thanks all, for the advice. I'm inclined to take the approach you all seem to mention, but wasn't sure if it was the right choice to make.
02-06-2011, 03:26 PM

(02-06-2011 06:23 AM)Dave from PA Wrote:  I'm an atheist college student who's taking a course in the fall that will be focused on fiction about "global catastrophes and the struggle to survive and rebuild civilization afterward." I'm looking forward to it, though I have some worry: if the prof is evangelistic and this study of apocalyptic fiction is used to bring up his own beliefs, how do I stand firm against crazy beliefs without damaging my grade?

I've not attended anything but a Technical College, many years ago so as to study computer programming. (It was ugly.Confused ) In any event, I don't know how Professors go about introducing themselves to a new class however, if on your first day you get the impression your Professor is a Fundy and has leanings toward incorporating their personal with the learning material, I agree with the notion of having a sit down.

I'd ask them to tell me about their intention in leading the class, first. That way you know who you're talking to a bit. And then I'd tell them about myself and my personal philosophy.

I'd also let them know whether or not I'd feel comfortable in a class wherein (and this of course is if they go about saying they'd incorporate their Fundy part into the instruction) any (that way it's not a personal issue with this one, it's a matter of any religious Professor) Professor incorporated their faith into what otherwise ideally should be the study and not the faith of the instructor.

See what your Professor says about that. If they can't relate, can you continue in the course of study you wish to pursue under a different Professor?

I don't think a secular University or College is appropriate for religious course of instruction, unless a student applies for such a course as is offered by a University or College. So I don't think there should be a problem avoiding that if it happens to find it's way to you, in the form of a Professors religious indoctrination coloring their course of instruction.
But like I said, I'm clueless as to how it works in Universities or Colleges.