Still Afraid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2016, 06:44 PM
RE: Still Afraid
(04-05-2016 06:36 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 01:06 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Is it okay if you guys help me to not be afraid of demons? I'm not afraid of one in my room tryjng to scare me or anything like that. It's just that people scare me when they say how satan is trying to deceive people and that he'll use mostly truth with a little lie to fool people. I know it's probably kind of silly, but I still get scared when people say stuff like that.

Can you guys help me out?
I really want to graduate and go to college so I can be away from everything. It's really annoying and it's not good for my mental health.

There is a Bill Burr stand up that might help you here. I'm on my phone now but if you want I can search for it tomorrow if I have some time.

Sure.
I do love some good stand up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2016, 10:15 PM
You might enjoy this:

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
05-05-2016, 04:52 AM
(04-05-2016 10:15 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  You might enjoy this:

I love this video.

It bugs me how human-centric (or geocentric) religion can be when the universe is so huge.
05-05-2016, 11:17 AM
(04-05-2016 01:06 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Is it okay if you guys help me to not be afraid of demons? I'm not afraid of one in my room tryjng to scare me or anything like that. It's just that people scare me when they say how satan is trying to deceive people and that he'll use mostly truth with a little lie to fool people. I know it's probably kind of silly, but I still get scared when people say stuff like that.

I really want to graduate and go to college so I can be away from everything. It's really annoying and it's not good for my mental health.

If someone tried to scare me with a line about devils or demons trying to deceive me I'd probably respond with something like:

"If angels & demons are real then I welcome their tests, angels can only do good & demons can only do evil, I have freedom of thought and am capable of both, which makes me far more dangerous. They should fear me, not the other way around."

But more seriously, from the way I read your question you aren't worried about physical harm from a "devil", you are worried that you could be misled. Well you could be and so could I, along with everybody else.

So test yourself. About anything... why do you believe something? Because you want to? Cause you were raised that way? or because credible evidence lead you to that position.

It doesn't have to be about religion either, right now where I am, they are talking about having gender-neutral communal washrooms and right now my position is that it's a bad idea, but I'm trying to decide if it's because of the cultural traditions that I've been raised in or if my thoughts that there is a possible women's issue to be considered is legitimate.

Test yourself...then test yourself again...then again. That's how you can gain confidence that you are not being deceived (self-deception being far more dangerous then whatever a "demon" or other human could conjure up), and let the beliefs that fail your test just fall away.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
05-05-2016, 11:19 AM
If demons try to deceive people, how are they sure that they're not being deceived by a demon when they get instructions from God?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
05-05-2016, 11:24 AM

I don't know how much this would help, but the way I got over it is by seriously questioning the whole narrative of demons:

Why would Satan wish to punish people in Hell? If he was really anti-god, why would he be doing exactly what God wants by punishing dead people? If I was the devil, I would make Hell a goddamn paradise.

Also, do the Angel's have free will? If Satan could rebel, then yes? But if yes, what really distinguishes them from us? Why would God create humans if Angels have essentially the same qualities as us?

If Demons are so powerful and can possess people, why are there not more obvious accounts of it? Why aren't most of the demons on earth possessing others?

Basically, I question the concept of Lucifer in totality, and the answers to a lot of those questions make him incredible (in the unbelievable version of the definition). because I believe he is not real to such a strong degree, he doesn't scare me.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
05-05-2016, 11:54 AM
(04-05-2016 06:44 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 06:36 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  There is a Bill Burr stand up that might help you here. I'm on my phone now but if you want I can search for it tomorrow if I have some time.

Sure.

It's the first video (I only found a compilation) Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
05-05-2016, 03:03 PM
(05-05-2016 11:54 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 06:44 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Sure.

It's the first video (I only found a compilation) Big Grin

That was great. TongueBig Grin
05-05-2016, 03:35 PM
Heaven and Hell are antithetical. Not merely opposites but contradictory to each other.

Suppose your parents get to heaven but you don't. They're up there for eternity knowing that you aren't and knowing where you are. Does that sound much like paradise to you? Sounds like another form of hell to me. At least the lucky buggers in hell will know that everybody who isn't down there with then is up in heaven.

So either god's insane or he isn't. Simple as that. And why would you worship a mad deity?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
05-05-2016, 04:04 PM
(05-05-2016 03:35 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Heaven and Hell are antithetical. Not merely opposites but contradictory to each other.

Suppose your parents get to heaven but you don't. They're up there for eternity knowing that you aren't and knowing where you are. Does that sound much like paradise to you? Sounds like another form of hell to me. At least the lucky buggers in hell will know that everybody who isn't down there with then is up in heaven.

So either god's insane or he isn't. Simple as that. And why would you worship a mad deity?

My parents are seventh day Adventists they don't believe in an eternal hell. They believe that the lost will burn for a little while in the lake of fire and then go out of existence.