Still Afraid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2016, 04:15 PM
RE: Still Afraid
(05-05-2016 04:04 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  My parents are seventh day Adventists they don't believe in an eternal hell. They believe that the lost will burn for a little while in the lake of fire and then go out of existence.
Nice.

Will they be pleading to god not to do it, when god burns their children?
Will they get angry at god or will they shrug, say, oh well, now bring on heaven, yeah!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2016, 04:17 PM
(05-05-2016 04:15 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 04:04 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  My parents are seventh day Adventists they don't believe in an eternal hell. They believe that the lost will burn for a little while in the lake of fire and then go out of existence.
Nice.

Will they get angry at god or will they shrug, say, oh well, now bring on heaven, yeah!!!

I have no idea.
05-05-2016, 04:20 PM
(05-05-2016 04:17 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 04:15 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Nice.

I have no idea.

Cheer up, mate. There is no credible evidence of this Hell.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
05-05-2016, 04:23 PM

That's what I think too but I also believe in accelerants.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-05-2016, 04:34 PM
(05-05-2016 04:20 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 04:17 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I have no idea.

Cheer up, mate. There is no credible evidence of this Hell.

True.
05-05-2016, 04:39 PM
(05-05-2016 04:17 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 04:15 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Nice.

I have no idea.
I've had this conversation with an SDA before. I basically told him that his god is a monster and that he is a monster for supporting this god.

His answer was that it would be the children's fault, for not believing and that god has no other choice but to burn them up.

I pointed out that without evidence, the choice to believe is totally random. Would be like having a large dart board with the names of all the gods on it, blindfolding yourself and throwing the dart and then believing whatever it lands on. Does god value luck? Hence rewards those that were randomly lucky and destroys those that were randomly unlucky in this choice?

It would be like a Manager getting 100 job applications, not bothering to read them but simply throwing them towards a cup, those that went in the cup are the lucky people and they get hired, those that didn't go in the cup were unlucky so they don't get hired.

This manager would be a terrible manager, not to mention lazy and superstitious.

What do we call a god that uses this approach?

Anyway, it is impossible to show a believer this logic. They insist that god is perfect and "his" judgment is perfect. They insist that they cannot judge god. Basically, they stop thinking.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
05-05-2016, 08:30 PM
With time your fears will subside, humans have evolved to be afraid of certain things like death, the darkness and beasts that can eat you. Satan is like all of those natural fears rolled into one. Once you realize there is nothing to fear from death or even the dark you will no longer fear demons or the devil but even if you do it's totally natural, we're supposed to be afraid of things like that.

It should be a crime to tell a child they may end up in Hell as a real possibility, when you grow uip with that it's ingrained into our psyche. It's not real, just like vampires and werewolves aren't real. Yes they are scary but we are supposed to be afraid of beasts that can hurt you, if they didn't bother us the horror movie industry would go out of business. You're human and once you face your fears you can conquer them and just admitting them is brave and you're on the right track so don't worry.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
05-05-2016, 09:26 PM
[Image: kola_borehole.png]

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post