Still Earth Believers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2013, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2013 12:50 PM by randomjen.)
Still Earth Believers
I have been having this conversation with this friend of mine. He is a recent convert(last 2 years) to Islam but I am sure he has had this view for quite a while.

He believes that there is no proof that the Earth spins and gave me this website as proof. http://www.genesis-creation-proof.com/Ea...onary.html

I googled this and found a few websites to back up his line of thoughts but what I could not find is anyone refuting this.
They claim NASA even knows this.....

He just sent me this
Oh, 4 last thing I found out:
1) Einstein himself admitted that whether is the earth spinning or the sun rotating, is just a matter of perspective
2) In the last 400 years, no experiments have ever demonstrated that the earth is spinning
3) During the war in Crimea, there was a worldwide skepticism about earth rotation, given by the fact that cannonballs were not affected
4) All the shuttles flight plans that Nasa compile, use maths model of still earth, and no movement is detected neither leaving the atmosphere, nor going back to earth

Has anyone dealt with this type of argument and can you direct me to some facts to help me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes randomjen's post
21-01-2013, 11:03 AM
RE: Still Earth Believers
(21-01-2013 11:01 AM)randomjen Wrote:  I have been having this conversation with this friend of mine. He is a recent convert(last 2 years) to Islam but I am sure he has had this view for quite a while.

He believes that there is no proof that the Earth spins and gave me this website as proof. http://www.genesis-creation-proof.com/Ea...onary.html

I googled this and found a few websites to back up his line of thoughts but what I could not find is anyone refuting this.

Has anyone dealt with this type of argument and can you direct me to some facts to help me.

The assertions on that web site are laughable in their ignorance of science. They need no refuting.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
21-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Wow just wow.
21-01-2013, 11:26 AM
(21-01-2013 11:01 AM)randomjen Wrote:  I have been having this conversation with this friend of mine. He is a recent convert(last 2 years) to Islam but I am sure he has had this view for quite a while.

The earth doesn't spin?

Diurnal cycle?

Coriolis effect?

Foucault Pendulum?

The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries:
Number 14. "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
21-01-2013, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2013 11:35 AM by Logisch.)
Lol.... that's about as bad as those flat earth people.

This is easy to refute if he turns on a GPS and goes into a detailed mode that shows motion. You can actually see that you move forward at a specific pace. Even more fun, if you get out an accelerometer you can change it in ways and see that the dimensions change.

Even more fun... MOST applications take this into account so that when it sees acceleration it accounts for it.

I feel so nice I'm going to even use my 21st century cell phone which happens to have an Androsensor program and accelerometer built in!
[Image: ClkWw2F.jpg]

And holy shit if we turn it... IT CHANGES ENTIRELY because we're still turning and MOVING
[Image: DzmuTvF.jpg]

What the hell man. I mean seriously... I know the internet is full of crap but I do not understand these people that want to get back to old ancient ways of thinking about the universe. We've got mountains of evidence, EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE that we don't live in a centralized universe, that the sun doesn't orbit us, that planets rotate, that there isn't a fucking firmament and that flying pixies aren't real and people are making this backpedaling motion to go back to these ancient ways of thinking. WHAT THE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
[+] 6 users Like Logisch's post
21-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Next they will be saying that the world is flat.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
21-01-2013, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2013 08:04 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Not only is the Earth rotating on it's axis, ("wobbling") and precessing also on it's axis, and revolving around the sun, the sun is rotating also, and the galaxy also rotates. Our local group of galaxies rotates also. WTF does the friend think causes winter and summer, and the seasons ?
https://www.google.com/search?q=rotation...66&bih=650
http://www.universetoday.com/23870/the-m...-rotation/
One of the proofs is called "precession". We are now in a different position with respect to precession than we were, for example when the pyramids were constructed.
That can be seen in maps of the heavens today, and what they saw a few thousand years ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession
In short. It's crap.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
I'm an agnostic. We cannot know if there really is a teapot orbiting the sun.
21-01-2013, 02:20 PM
The short answer is that if someone has decided absolutely what they believe then *argument* ain't gonna sway them. The only thing that really works is if they grow some curiosity themselves - we've had a couple of stories of people here who've been *fundie* believers, and then eventually started really wondering 'is this really the truth ?'

Interesting that this still Earth thing has come up again - new fad I guess ? After all the bloody Mayan calendar seems to have failed in no uncertain fashion, gotta have *something* stupid to believe in.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
21-01-2013, 02:36 PM
The person is making the claims that scenario X is happening, or that person X said something. The burden of proof is on them - they have to provide evidence of actual sources.

I can say that President Obama admitted that the world is flat, and everyone of importance is in on the scam. Pretty big claim, but where's the evidence of anything like that was said?
21-01-2013, 02:48 PM
(21-01-2013 11:01 AM)randomjen Wrote:  [...] He believes that there is no proof that the Earth spins [...]
(21-01-2013 11:01 AM)randomjen Wrote:  Maybe you should show him this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_fo...d_to_Earth. From what you revealed about your friend though, I almost fear he won't understand it.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistent one."
- Albert Einstein

"Nothing cannot exist forever."
- Stephen Hawking

"Hmmm, Bacon..."
- Homer Simpson