[Image: MRzg8.png]

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
21-01-2013, 06:49 PM
RE: Still Earth Believers
(21-01-2013 11:01 AM)randomjen Wrote:  I have been having this conversation with this friend of mine. He is a recent convert(last 2 years) to Islam but I am sure he has had this view for quite a while.

He believes that there is no proof that the Earth spins and gave me this website as proof. http://www.genesis-creation-proof.com/Ea...onary.html

I googled this and found a few websites to back up his line of thoughts but what I could not find is anyone refuting this.
They claim NASA even knows this.....

He just sent me this
Oh, 4 last thing I found out:
1) Einstein himself admitted that whether is the earth spinning or the sun rotating, is just a matter of perspective
2) In the last 400 years, no experiments have ever demonstrated that the earth is spinning
3) During the war in Crimea, there was a worldwide skepticism about earth rotation, given by the fact that cannonballs were not affected
4) All the shuttles flight plans that Nasa compile, use maths model of still earth, and no movement is detected neither leaving the atmosphere, nor going back to earth

Has anyone dealt with this type of argument and can you direct me to some facts to help me.

1. Misinterpretation of inertial reference frames and an appeal to a dead authority who can no longer defend himself from the lies of people who want to re-interpret his writings and sayings. Busted.
2. Flat out wrong
3. Need a source. Anyway, we don't need to rely on the evidence from bronze smoothbore cannons when we have intercontinental ballistic missiles, whose paths are affected by the earth's rotation. Busted
4. Also flat-out wrong. NASA uses the earth as a fixed reference point for convenience when computing LEO orbits, but the earth's rotation is still factored in, it's just on the vehicle side of the equation, not the planet side. Busted

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 5 users Like Phaedrus's post
22-01-2013, 10:13 AM

Well, I do have THE proof that the earth is stationary:

When I jump, I don't end up in another block or in my neighbor's house.
That's THE proof that the earth is quite still.

Check mate, atheists!!

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like KVron's post
11-03-2013, 04:50 AM
Well, no KVron. First earth acceleration due to its rotation is very low, negligible to account for in your jumps. You can consider it an inertial frame. Second, you are on earth, so everything, including you, is moving with it, so it's ok to not be thrown in your neighbour house. It's like joggling with balls inside a train moving at constant velocity, the balls are not thrown in your face or away from you, indipendently from the velocity of the train (as long as it remains constant).

We walk by faith, not by sight. Angel
13-03-2013, 04:12 AM
Never heard of "Still Earth Believers",but it looks flat out stupid as shit.
[+] 1 user Likes Juv's post
13-03-2013, 05:06 AM
Looks like a breakaway group from the Flat Earth Society.

“I've done everything the Bible says — even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"— Ned Flanders
13-03-2013, 03:57 PM
What... the... fuck..??
Are these people on drugs when they wrote that thing?
You must be incredibly ignorant to write such stuff and being serious. There are thousands of videos and pictures from space missions wich shows the earth rotating. How would you explain the coriolis effect then? He said something about cannon balls being not affected by it. That's because it's on a too small scale, and the cannon travel time is not long enough to see any visible effect. Ofcourse it gets affected but not on a clearly visible scale. Mathematical equations of 400 years ago by Galileo and Copernicus prove this so clearly you must be mentally retarded to reject it. GPS wouldn't work if the earth stood still. Half of the planet would be baking in the sun while the other half is permanently frozen. The amount of ignorance in that page just makes me puke.

Islam logic:
See a cartoon? Burn down the nearest embassy!
13-03-2013, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2013 05:46 PM by Adenosis.)
(21-01-2013 11:01 AM)randomjen Wrote:  I have been having this conversation with this friend of mine. He is a recent convert(last 2 years) to Islam but I am sure he has had this view for quite a while.

He believes that there is no proof that the Earth spins and gave me this website as proof. http://www.genesis-creation-proof.com/Ea...onary.html

I googled this and found a few websites to back up his line of thoughts but what I could not find is anyone refuting this.
They claim NASA even knows this.....

He just sent me this
Oh, 4 last thing I found out:
1) Einstein himself admitted that whether is the earth spinning or the sun rotating, is just a matter of perspective
2) In the last 400 years, no experiments have ever demonstrated that the earth is spinning
3) During the war in Crimea, there was a worldwide skepticism about earth rotation, given by the fact that cannonballs were not affected
4) All the shuttles flight plans that Nasa compile, use maths model of still earth, and no movement is detected neither leaving the atmosphere, nor going back to earth

Has anyone dealt with this type of argument and can you direct me to some facts to help me.

Possibility 1: The stars remain at essentially fixed positions relative to each other while travelling faster than the speed of light around the earth to give the illusion that the earth is spinning. Our sun, the planets, and meteors of our solar system also contributes to this illusion by following the path of the stars. Therefore, the earth is the centre of the universe.

Possibility 2: The earth is revolving as it orbits the sun.

No one should be confused about which possibility is the case. Simply because one of the above possibilities is not even physically possible.

On to point 3 and 4...
Cannon balls and space ships don't notice the earth spinning because they originated on the spinning object. They share the momentum of the earth, even when leaving the earth.

Imagine jumping out of a car going 100km/h, would you expect to be be motionless when disconnected from the car? If so perhaps you should try this as an experiment. Now there is a fundamental different between jumping out of a car driving on the earth and leaving the earth.

The car is moving at a rate of 100km/h plus the rate of motion of the earth. When you jump out of the car, you come in to contact with the earth, which is going 100km/h slower than the car. You basically bounce and skid to a painful halt as your momentum (kinetic energy) is transferred to the earth.

When you leave the earth, your momentum has nowhere to transfer to. Remember? space is empty. You retain this momentum, and so you do not observe the motion of the earth. Your motion mirrors that of the earth.

I hope that makes sense, that's how I look at it.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

13-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Or you can experiment it in a safer and easier way.
Go take a bus downtown and feel how momentum works on you.
The bus doesn't have a continuous momentum so you feel the bus moving. You can feel every bump, turn, acceleration, deceleration and so forth.
If it had a continuous momentum, you wouldn't notice a thing and only see the surroundings move.
Now how can you apply that to earth? Simple, the earth has a rather continuous momentum wich you don't feel at all. it feels like the earth is standing still and everything around it is moving, just like the bus driving in a straight line at a continuous speed.
This is the reason why you wear a seatbelt in your car or that you don't want to bail out of a vehicle while it's moving on a high speed.

Now on the point that you simply fly off the earth when it's spins:
There is just a simple reason for that, the earth's gravity is too strong to do this, and cancels out the G-forces that are generated when you are on a spinning object. If the earth was spinning way faster, It could indeed happen.

Here is a video of the earth rotation shot by the galileo spacecraft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VWM0XswwGg
Notice how the earth is getting smaller as the spacecraft is flying away, this is ofcourse a timelapsed video of about 25 hours merged into 25 seconds

Islam logic:
See a cartoon? Burn down the nearest embassy!
[+] 1 user Likes Spoon3r's post