Still Paying For God's Error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Still Paying For God's Error
After that flood that god immediately afterward regretted doing, the one that killed everybody, did a contrite god pull all those sodden souls out of the hell they'd been cast into, or are they all still sizzling in the flames, paying for eternity for a mistake they didn't make? Perhaps it's time to take up a collection to get those souls out of there, since the responsible party has so far proven to be obscenely irresponsible. Like a politician, mouthing "I take full responsibility" without actually suffering consequences.

Has this point ever been raised by any clergy?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2015, 01:09 PM
RE: Still Paying For God's Error
(17-01-2015 03:28 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  After that flood that god immediately afterward regretted doing, the one that killed everybody, did a contrite god pull all those sodden souls out of the hell they'd been cast into, or are they all still sizzling in the flames, paying for eternity for a mistake they didn't make? Perhaps it's time to take up a collection to get those souls out of there, since the responsible party has so far proven to be obscenely irresponsible. Like a politician, mouthing "I take full responsibility" without actually suffering consequences.

Indeed it has. And then some who questioned left the clergy.

The issues I see are 1) assumptions that most of those souls went to Hell, when I think many in the Flood went to Heaven, maybe even most and 2) if we look at the deaths alone, let alone diving post-mortem judgment, you are equating a flood, a natural occurrence, with genocide. Is a hurricane genocide? A forest fire? Old age? Cancer?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2015, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2015 01:54 PM by Mr. Boston.)
(23-01-2015 01:09 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Indeed it has. And then some who questioned left the clergy.

The issues I see are 1) assumptions that most of those souls went to Hell, when I think many in the Flood went to Heaven, maybe even most and 2) if we look at the deaths alone, let alone diving post-mortem judgment, you are equating a flood, a natural occurrence, with genocide. Is a hurricane genocide? A forest fire? Old age? Cancer?

The difference is that the Biblical flood was represented as explicitly being God's will - he was trying to wipe the slate clean and start life on the planet over again. People of faith today may argue that this hurricane or that tsunami are God's wrath, or at least that he allows them to happen as part of his unseen plan. Working in "mysterious ways," etc. That's a lot different than a deliberate attempt on the part of the deity to wipe out all of mankind with a single world-wide flood. If that's not genocide what is? And if they had so angered God as to cause him to try and hit the reset button on earthly life, why would we assume ANY of them, from people to chipmunks, went to Heaven?
23-01-2015, 01:32 PM
(23-01-2015 01:09 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ...
1) assumptions that most of those souls went to Hell, when I think many in the Flood went to Heaven, maybe even most

I have it on authority and by revelation that 83% went to hell and 17% went to heaven.
I'm told that the 83% were souls simply too sodden to enter the diving divine realm and just need to dry out for while in a 'warm' place.

(23-01-2015 01:09 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ...
2) if we look at the deaths alone, let alone diving post-mortem judgment, you are equating a flood, a natural occurrence, with genocide. Is a hurricane genocide? A forest fire? Old age? Cancer?

Saying what? The bible is wrong when it claims the flood to be a diving divine intervention?

Shock! Ohmy

So, is that god not capable of burning more than one bush?

Did that god not make us mortal?

I don't believe in natural occurrences... that would leave no gap for a god to live in.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
23-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Q needs a job. Sheesh.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
23-01-2015, 01:39 PM
(23-01-2015 01:37 PM)claywise Wrote:  Q needs a job. Sheesh.

Do you think there is a job for one so addled? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2015, 01:42 PM
(23-01-2015 01:09 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(17-01-2015 03:28 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  After that flood that god immediately afterward regretted doing, the one that killed everybody, did a contrite god pull all those sodden souls out of the hell they'd been cast into, or are they all still sizzling in the flames, paying for eternity for a mistake they didn't make? Perhaps it's time to take up a collection to get those souls out of there, since the responsible party has so far proven to be obscenely irresponsible. Like a politician, mouthing "I take full responsibility" without actually suffering consequences.

Indeed it has. And then some who questioned left the clergy.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

---- Epicurus

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Quote:The issues I see are 1) assumptions that most of those souls went to Hell, when I think many in the Flood went to Heaven

Then why did your fucking god kill them? Shits and giggles?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
23-01-2015, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2015 07:07 AM by unfogged.)
(23-01-2015 01:09 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The issues I see are 1) assumptions that most of those souls went to Hell, when I think many in the Flood went to Heaven, maybe even most

The bible is quite clear that god was unhappy with all of the wickedness in the world and that he found Noah to be righteous. The clear implication is that Noah and his family were the only people worth saving. To then say that many, if not most, were worthy of heaven is just a denial that the story says what it says.

Quote:and 2) if we look at the deaths alone, let alone diving post-mortem judgment, you are equating a flood, a natural occurrence, with genocide. Is a hurricane genocide? A forest fire? Old age? Cancer?

Opening of the floodgates of heaven and the fountains of the deep to cause it to rain for 40 days and the entire earth be flooded for 150 days and take a full year before there is dry land again is NOT a natural occurrence. This was your god acting like a spoiled brat who was mad because his creation went wrong AGAIN.

It is a good thing that it is all mythology. Any real god that acted like that would have to be actively opposed in any way possible.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
24-01-2015, 01:56 AM
(23-01-2015 01:09 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The issues I see are 1) assumptions that most of those souls went to Hell, when I think many in the Flood went to Heaven, maybe even most and 2) if we look at the deaths alone, let alone diving post-mortem judgment, you are equating a flood, a natural occurrence, with genocide. Is a hurricane genocide? A forest fire? Old age? Cancer?

No wonder your name is "The Q Continuum". Your post hoc justifications are as good as the most creative star trek fan's fix for continuity errors within the show. "many in the Flood went to Heaven, maybe even most". There you go showing the moral difference between yourself and your god. Your god couldn't find anyone righteous outside of Noah's family, but you cling to the idea that humans have some good in them then impose your sense of goodness to a God whose account clearly rejects your view of morality.

God's genocides are continuity errors. God's evil commandments are continuity errors. Of course you can creatively paper over them, but if you do are you really accepting the word of God at all or are you just making up fan fiction?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post