Still hiding

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Still hiding
I have been an atheist for a few years now, but I have kept that to myself. I'm trying to figure out how to bring it up to my wife. I tried to talk about it a few months ago and ended up agreeing to talk to a friend of ours who had just become a pastor.

I live in a small town in eastern Kentucky so there's not a lot of open atheists.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2017, 10:25 AM
RE: Still hiding
Welcome!

Maybe coming up with a few ideas about some of you wife's concerns re: atheism might help. That way when you bring the subject up, you are more prepared and can address her concerns right away. And just being calm and patient with her and being supportive as she reacts to all of this. I think it is really hard when you have been brainwashed by religion to understand why someone would *willingly* decide not to believe in God. And I think it really scares them. I know I was uncomfortable around atheists back when I was all about Jesus.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
22-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Welcome to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
22-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Take your time and break the news slowly... be prepared for a Q&A, assure your wife that your decision doesn't change anything (in terms of lifestyle) She'll come round and accept you. Go forth and say it sir!

Best wishes - C

Oh no. He's here - God
22-01-2017, 05:42 PM
(22-01-2017 10:09 AM)Mike Wrote:  I have been an atheist for a few years now, but I have kept that to myself. I'm trying to figure out how to bring it up to my wife. I tried to talk about it a few months ago and ended up agreeing to talk to a friend of ours who had just become a pastor.

I live in a small town in eastern Kentucky so there's not a lot of open atheists.

Hug
23-01-2017, 07:12 AM
It is a slow process and that's okay. Since I mentioned it last year she's not asked me to "bless" any meals. She doesn't yet know that I'm a full blown atheist yet. I know that will devastate her, that's why I drag my feet at bringing it up again
23-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Hi Mike, we're glad you're here.

There's a wealth of information on this site on situations very similar to yours. Take some time and peruse the threads, you'll undoubtedly find some advice that might help.

Good luck!