Stock piling in Ireland

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2016, 06:56 AM
RE: Stock piling in Ireland
My method works internationally - I befriended a store employee. I seek her out when I get to the store and ask her what the best deals are. She already knows what type of stuff I buy and it's perfect. We chat a bit (my store instructs employees to engage customers in friendly, short conversations so she gets brownies for this) and I move on.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2016, 09:14 AM
My own belief is that couponing/stockpiling winds up costing you more rather than less in that you'll buy things because they're discounted in addition to buying things you actually need (or want). Whenever I've perused the coupon circulars that clog my mailbox I almost never see something I'd've bought normally: they're all for things I rarely buy or would never buy.

You have to consider the math: merchants offer coupons to raise revenue - they can't succeed at that unless consumers oblige them by spending more than they otherwise would. Don't kid yourself that you're not a "normal" consumer - we are ALL "normal" consumers, believe me. Retail LOVES it when we think we're outside the mainstream, we're their best targets because they exploit our delusion.

I think Chas' approach of waiting for sales is good, and shopping at discount chains is good, and buying store brands instead of marquee brands is good. But I think couponing and stockpiling deplete funds rather than save funds if practised as a regular routine. Because of the math.
26-05-2016, 09:38 AM
(26-05-2016 09:14 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  My own belief is that couponing/stockpiling winds up costing you more rather than less in that you'll buy things because they're discounted in addition to buying things you actually need (or want). Whenever I've perused the coupon circulars that clog my mailbox I almost never see something I'd've bought normally: they're all for things I rarely buy or would never buy.

You have to consider the math: merchants offer coupons to raise revenue - they can't succeed at that unless consumers oblige them by spending more than they otherwise would. Don't kid yourself that you're not a "normal" consumer - we are ALL "normal" consumers, believe me. Retail LOVES it when we think we're outside the mainstream, we're their best targets because they exploit our delusion.

I think Chas' approach of waiting for sales is good, and shopping at discount chains is good, and buying store brands instead of marquee brands is good. But I think couponing and stockpiling deplete funds rather than save funds if practised as a regular routine. Because of the math.

Gasoline is currently at $2.54 a gallon.

I filled up my car at home, with gas I paid $1.31 a gallon......

Now, what part of the math am I getting wrong???

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-05-2016, 10:02 AM
(26-05-2016 09:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Now, what part of the math am I getting wrong?

How much home storage capacity have you got for gasoline and how do you replenish it?

More important: can you routinely repeat that 2 to 1 differential or anything close to it? And if so, is it by means unavailable to the normal consumer - e.g. you have access to a petroleum wholesaler or company source only available to employees or other connections?

I don't mean to say don't take advantage of opportunities - when such opportunities are for things you normally need or use. Don't make the mistake of buying the $20 dollar hat you wouldn't normally buy because it's on sale for $10 and you think you're buying it with the $10 you "saved". Laugh out load
26-05-2016, 10:09 AM
There are lots of tips on the forums at moneysavingexpert.co.uk but not sure if that would apply to Ireland stores too.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
26-05-2016, 10:33 AM
(26-05-2016 09:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Gasoline is currently at $2.54 a gallon.

I filled up my car at home, with gas I paid $1.31 a gallon......

Now, what part of the math am I getting wrong???

I converted our Aussie petrol pricing to USD... $3.83 a gallon. Ouch.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
26-05-2016, 10:57 AM
(26-05-2016 10:02 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(26-05-2016 09:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Now, what part of the math am I getting wrong?

How much home storage capacity have you got for gasoline and how do you replenish it?

More important: can you routinely repeat that 2 to 1 differential or anything close to it? And if so, is it by means unavailable to the normal consumer - e.g. you have access to a petroleum wholesaler or company source only available to employees or other connections?

I don't mean to say don't take advantage of opportunities - when such opportunities are for things you normally need or use. Don't make the mistake of buying the $20 dollar hat you wouldn't normally buy because it's on sale for $10 and you think you're buying it with the $10 you "saved". Laugh out load

I've been storing gasoline for better than 30 years. I know what works, and what doesn't.

Primary objective - readiness.

When the power goes out (and it does) I don't want to have to try going to a gas station to fill up a 5 gallon can to run my generator. Odds are good the gas station's power will be out too. So, have some on hand.

Gasoline does NOT keep well in gas cans. Gas cans are not airtight. They "breath" with barometric changes - and gasoline that is exposed to fresh air deteriorates. Gasoline in a conventional gas can should be used in a few months at longest.

I keep it in 30 and 55 gallon drums. Sealed (with an inch or two empty to avoid hydraulically rupturing the drum).

I've burned gas that's 18 months old in my cars, motorcycles, saws, ect -- and it worked just fine. Also --- it's best to store summer time gasoline. The winter formula doesn't store as well....

I don't use "Sta-bil" or any other additives. They don't work.

I also don't store gasoline in vehicles or equipment that will not be running on a regular schedule. I drain the gas, and run the engine till it runs out of gas. Then you don't have gasoline turn to varnish in fuel lines, pumps, injectors or carbs....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-05-2016, 03:58 PM
@ Chas: I don't get these flyers etc. But the closest super market to where I live, I noticed the rotation with the offers already. So usually, when I need or want a specific thing, I wait until that's on sale again and then I get two of it. Seems to work out too.

@ ukatheist: Thanks for that tip. I will check it out!

@ Marozz: Ah thanks. I wasn't aware that Dunnes does sales on food items etc. I rarely go there for groceries. And Aldi and Lidl aren't close enough to be convenient. Quite a walk but I can probably check the offers online. Thanks for the tip.

@ Dom: You are telling an introvert to go and do small talk to strangers. No can do, sorry. To my knowledge they don't have a policy on being nice to customers anyway and ask them even WHERE something is, they have no idea. So on that level of service, I won't expect them to know their own offers tbh.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
26-05-2016, 04:08 PM
(26-05-2016 03:00 AM)ImFred Wrote:  It seems likely to me that stuff will get old, leaky, dirty, dusty, decomposed, entropic, and just plain go bad before you use it. Waste of space. Planned hoarding. I'm against it.

I'm Pagan and I'm with Fred. My father used to try to buy in bulk. I remember once he bought a 100 lb bag of barley, because he liked it in soup sometimes. It took up a corner of the pantry where everyone was stumbling over it. Soon, before it was half gone it had mice living in the bag and when he really looked it over the one pound boxes could be bought for $.19, and he'd paid $.20 per pound for a bag that we had to throw out half of.
But he'd drive 40 miles to save half a dollar at times etc...
I pay attention to sales and buy maybe 10 or 20% more than I need. Instead of buying my regular 4 rolls of toilet paper I recently bought a package of 12 for 50% more than the 4 rolls, but it doesn't rot or go bad in te 2 months it will take us to use it up.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
26-05-2016, 05:34 PM
(26-05-2016 03:58 PM)Leela Wrote:  @ Dom: You are telling an introvert to go and do small talk to strangers. No can do, sorry. To my knowledge they don't have a policy on being nice to customers anyway and ask them even WHERE something is, they have no idea. So on that level of service, I won't expect them to know their own offers tbh.

Introvert here too. Tongue The store I shop in has to compete against stores with bigger selections and hence prides itself on service. I like it!

I do buy things like toilet paper and paper towels and such in bulk as warranted. I also take advantage of meat sales and have a food sealer and freeze the meat. My freezer has really paid off - from being able to take advantage of sales to keeping some of my own produce around for after the season is over, I love it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post