Stock piling in Ireland

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2016, 05:50 PM
RE: Stock piling in Ireland
I don't stockpile, I don't use coupons or fliers. I don't buy in bulk. I'm not going to turn my house into a warehouse. The only thing I have is a large garbage can full of earthquake supplies out in the garage. That's it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2016, 08:37 PM
I'm a member at a store chain called CostCo, here in the States. I buy toilet paper in (IIRC) packs of 36 rolls, paper towels in a bulk pack of 30 or 36 rolls and Kleenex in a package of 10 boxes. These supplies last us many weeks. They are also good for stuff like shampoo, soap, toothpaste and razor blades. We don't eat much meat, mostly chicken and fish, so the red meat that we eat comes from some other store, and gets bought (maybe) about every 3 months. I love beef and lamb, but am watching my intake of saturated fats. We buy our vegetables from a local farmer's market, for the most part. They are fresher, but about the same price- a lot less rotten/recalled vegetables. We eat very little in terms of canned goods. So, the real stockpiling is in paper goods. As near as I can tell, the coupons that come in the mail or newspaper are for things that we don't actually consume.
27-05-2016, 05:32 AM
(26-05-2016 05:34 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-05-2016 03:58 PM)Leela Wrote:  @ Dom: You are telling an introvert to go and do small talk to strangers. No can do, sorry. To my knowledge they don't have a policy on being nice to customers anyway and ask them even WHERE something is, they have no idea. So on that level of service, I won't expect them to know their own offers tbh.

Introvert here too. Tongue The store I shop in has to compete against stores with bigger selections and hence prides itself on service. I like it!

I do buy things like toilet paper and paper towels and such in bulk as warranted. I also take advantage of meat sales and have a food sealer and freeze the meat. My freezer has really paid off - from being able to take advantage of sales to keeping some of my own produce around for after the season is over, I love it.

Yup the freezer was a great investment -- My S.O. really robbed the store when we got our chest freezer ---- it was a bit over 200 bucks (retail) and she couponed them down to $82.

I've gotten at least 3 deer every year for the last 13 years -- and butcher it myself. The "Seal-a-meal" really gets a workout the early part of December. I've never done the math on it -- but it's gotta be several hundred dollars saved each year...

One thing about storing paper products -- we always put all the TP, paper towels, ect - into hard plastic storage containers to keep the mice out....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
27-05-2016, 07:46 AM
I know someone who looks for those kinds of big bulk deals... and then gives most of it way, since they can't be bothered to store (let alone consume) that much crap.

... this is my signature!
27-05-2016, 08:38 AM
I don't have a freezer. Just a small section of a tiny fridge being ... colder. So I can't really fill a freezer with meat when it gets on sale. Otherwise I would probably buy a bit of meat when Tesco has those 3 for 10€ offers and such. But it just won't fit in there.

@ dancefortwo: Well no one said you have to make your house into a warehouse. But I don't see an issue to buy two or three of the items you like anyway when they are on sale. As you see in my photo on the OP that is far from warehouse level as seen on TV. My stockpile in the bathroom will not exceed that one shelf for example. I agree with you though. The stuff on those shows is crazy and makes no sense. Who the hell buys 50 packs of Mentos and 40 packs of tampons and 20 sixpacks of energy drinks just because it is an offer. That behaviour sounds more like an addiction to me. For them it is just about the deal. They don't really save money with that.

Back before last Christmas I started looking especially at Lidl for the nicer things and buy one or two nice Christmas treats every week. I had one shelf full of special things to eat for Christmas. Nice pasta and sauces, sweets, etc. this was also the first Christmas in 5 years (!) where I was not afraid of running out of money (because I started buying the stuff 2 months in advance) and also i wasn't afraid that we can't have nice treats for Christmas. We had our traditional dinners and it did not rip a hole into our budget.
It felt really good and I liked that feeling. That and the fact that I used to go hungry a lot because I had nothing in the house and no money (well sucks to be poor) left a mark and I want to have a bit of a reserve at all times now, so that tight budgets won't be so scary any more

I have a drawer that I rarely use because it is in an incovenient spot. I decided to use that to stock up on canned goods, pasta, rice, packaged stuffs, etc. I want to label everything with expiry dates, so I can always make sure nothing rots.
This way, my tiny flat doesn't overflow or look even messier Big Grin I just use the drawer I have and once it's full, it's full and that will be the end of it.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
27-05-2016, 09:40 AM
(27-05-2016 08:38 AM)Leela Wrote:  I don't have a freezer. Just a small section of a tiny fridge being ... colder. So I can't really fill a freezer with meat when it gets on sale. Otherwise I would probably buy a bit of meat when Tesco has those 3 for 10€ offers and such. But it just won't fit in there.

@ dancefortwo: Well no one said you have to make your house into a warehouse. But I don't see an issue to buy two or three of the items you like anyway when they are on sale. As you see in my photo on the OP that is far from warehouse level as seen on TV. My stockpile in the bathroom will not exceed that one shelf for example. I agree with you though. The stuff on those shows is crazy and makes no sense. Who the hell buys 50 packs of Mentos and 40 packs of tampons and 20 sixpacks of energy drinks just because it is an offer. That behaviour sounds more like an addiction to me. For them it is just about the deal. They don't really save money with that.

I used to have a friend that did the oouponing crap and she'd do that...But..Only when it made sense and I'm pretty sure never on perishable items. If the regular price was $3 and the store was offering a buy one get one, and she had coupons that could be doubled, she ended up with them owing her money -- which was applied to other things....

Then she didn't keep anything her family wouldn't use (and only small quantities), so the next day she'd go to the Red Cross and area homeless shelters (who just loved her) and dropped off all the stuff so she didn't have to give up home space. Then she could write off the retail value of the items donated. One year their donations alone were around 20K, when added up -- this was all stuff she essentially got for free or even more likely paid to purchase. Also, one store she'd shop at gave gasoline points, which she got when she used her store card. When the gas prices were going up, she was paying far less for gas.

Now the rub was she spent hours upon hours, looking and searching for those deals, organizing her list and enlisting help (once or twice I helped her). Did that outweigh the savings? I don't know. She would drive through the neighborhood on Wednesday mornings and steal all the "Food Day" papers with coupons (these are just given to residents even if you didn't subscribe to the daily newspaper delivery everyone used to get the Wednesday delivery of that single section and they'd usually sit in people's driveways anyway -- she never took from people who got the real newspaper).

I do know once the stores started placing purchase limits and not allowing double coupons and sometimes restricted coupons to non-sale purchases, she eventually gave up.

I guess my point is that you don't have to keep the stuff at all -- because I know that she didn't.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

31-05-2016, 06:12 AM
@ukatheist: I have finally checked out that website moneysavingexpert. Sadly it only applies to the UK. But I am starting to use the big wide interwebs to find out more.

Generally I am very proud atm. I have cleaned that drawer I was talking about and Tesco had some of the really good tuna on sale. Both my mr and I love that specific brand so I bought a bit of Tuna and put it in my, now official, stock piling drawer.
Will do some deal hunting during work time today as there isn't much to do and maybe this weekend I can go for a few deals if I have time.
I also want to buy some labels, so I can label expiry dates to make sure nothing goes bad.
Generally my plan for the stockpiling drawer is to have only things that we like and use, and also things that don't spoil easily. So dry stuff like noodles and rice, and canned food. Apart from that I want a bit of kitchen supplies and stuff like batteries and so on.

Also I watched a few, not so crazy, stockpiling videos on youtube with people who don't use coupons. And pretty much what all of them say are these things:
* Stock up on things that you actually use.
* If you have things that can spoil, don't let them go out of date in case you know you won't use it. Donate it to food banks etc instead.
* Supermarkets usually have a rotation on offers, so once you know the rotation, you know how much to buy until the product you like will be on sale again.

Something that I have discovered on my own:
* Amazon has a wholesale section where you can buy bigger amounts of some things. When things go on offer in that section you hit a jackpot. (Haven't gone for it yet though)
* Found wish.com where you get a lot of things very very cheap. Sometimes products will be up to 98% down from original price. Downside is that you get to wait a month or more because the low price is as it comes shipped from China and they basically wait until their shipping container is full and then send the whole load at the same time. Lowers shipping cost and handling but yeah takes time. I have ordered some stuff there already, and it is all good quality.
* 2-Euro Stores often have brand products a little out of sight. But there are some that my mr and I like and if I can buy it for 2 Euro there instead of 4.50 € at the supermarket, I will.
* Clothing items, you can stock up at the end of a season, for the next season, when things go on sale.
* DIY and such things. We have mainly Woodies here for DIY things. And they often have stuff on sale when they stop ordering a certain thing or the season for it ends (again with the season Wink ). So once in a while, I like to go there and have a look.

I think I wanna start a blog for this, for people in Ireland. Didn't really find anything Ireland specific on the topic yet (but will keep looking). I think stock piling isn't a big thing around here.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)