Stolen Alaska Airlines plane crashes south of Seattle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2018, 11:35 PM
Stolen Alaska Airlines plane crashes south of Seattle
On Ketron island in Pierce County. No passengers. 29-year old male with suicidal past is suspected. Airline mechanic for Alaska.

https://q13fox.com/on-air/live-streaming/

http://www.cnn.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2018, 08:50 AM
RE: Stolen Alaska Airlines plane crashes south of Seattle
I just listened to the exchange with the ATC and the 'pilot'...seemed like a really nice guy who went to a dark place and lost it. It was nice, and sad, to hear how concerned he was about "messing everyone's day up" or possibly hurting someone. He pulled some crazy stunts for someone going off
of nothing but video game knowledge. The poor guy needed help so badly and you could hear it in his voice. I wish mental disorders were taken more seriously here in the states.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
11-08-2018, 09:55 AM
(11-08-2018 08:50 AM)Loom Wrote:  I wish mental disorders were taken more seriously here in the states.

Or anywhere for that matter. It's still a stigma in so many places of the developed world.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
11-08-2018, 02:04 PM
(11-08-2018 08:50 AM)Loom Wrote:  ... I wish mental disorders were taken more seriously ...

It's unnerving that the vetting process for trades such as aircraft maintenance don't include any evaluation of emotional fitness for the job - I know because I've got Inspection Authorization (my signature literally makes an airplane airworthy) and at no time in the years of training and testing to obtain that rating was any examination of mental fitness even hinted at. Testing for drugs is as close it gets.

Reading the transcripts it's obvious the guy needed mental therapy, but to me what was more alarming was his exceptionally poor judgement and casual attitude. I'm not referring the taking the plane, I'm referring to what would catch his attention and what didn't during the episode, such as being surprised at the rate of fuel burn. Rate of fuel burn should never be a mystery to someone given the responsibility to repair an aircraft.

Perhaps those are symptoms of his mental impairment, but the mindset he exhibited was NOT a mindset I'd ever place in a position (aircraft maintenance) where competent judgement is a matter of lives staked on the job getting done right. Next time you board an airplane think about the fact that its maintenance is being done at least in part by guys like this one - inattentive, and ignorant in ways he shouldn't be ignorant.

Our inattention to mental/emotional fitness hurts us in other areas that could use the attention - is this type of vetting applied to medical practice? I don't know.

And we need only look to the current Executive branch of the democratic government of a large nation (often full of itself) to feel the full import of not having any vetting of mental faculty as a qualification for political authority.
11-08-2018, 02:17 PM
(11-08-2018 02:04 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(11-08-2018 08:50 AM)Loom Wrote:  ... I wish mental disorders were taken more seriously ...

It's unnerving that the vetting process for trades such as aircraft maintenance don't include any evaluation of emotional fitness for the job - I know because I've got Inspection Authorization (my signature literally makes an airplane airworthy) and at no time in the years of training and testing to obtain that rating was any examination of mental fitness even hinted at. Testing for drugs is as close it gets.

Reading the transcripts it's obvious the guy needed mental therapy, but to me what was more alarming was his exceptionally poor judgement and casual attitude. I'm not referring the taking the plane, I'm referring to what would catch his attention and what didn't during the episode, such as being surprised at the rate of fuel burn. Rate of fuel burn should never be a mystery to someone given the responsibility to repair an aircraft.

Perhaps those are symptoms of his mental impairment, but the mindset he exhibited was NOT a mindset I'd ever place in a position (aircraft maintenance) where competent judgement is a matter of lives staked on the job getting done right. Next time you board an airplane think about the fact that its maintenance is being done at least in part by guys like this one - inattentive, and ignorant in ways he shouldn't be ignorant.

Our inattention to mental/emotional fitness hurts us in other areas that could use the attention - is this type of vetting applied to medical practice? I don't know.

And we need only look to the current Executive branch of the democratic government of a large nation (often full of itself) to feel the full import of not having any vetting of mental faculty as a qualification for political authority.

Another reason why I'm never going to fly again. I understand it's statistically safer, but there's simply far too much going on that's out of my control. This incident certainly isn't reassuring in that case, and very disturbing considering how easily he could've used this plane to inflict massive damage if he wanted to.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.
11-08-2018, 02:21 PM
Just so we're clear, he wasn't a mechanic, but rather a luggage-handler.

Hey, hey, what can I do?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
11-08-2018, 03:10 PM
(11-08-2018 02:21 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Just so we're clear, he wasn't a mechanic, but rather a luggage-handler.

My apologies if so - I thought one of the articles mentioned he was a mechanic.

Even so, I still think:

A. There's far too much stigma still associated with mental treatment, so that something like this incident instantly gets treated as a criminal matter rather than as a medical matter, and

B. Inadequate vetting is done in some sectors of service to adequately assess mental faculty commensurate with the responsibility.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
11-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Think about it - this has happened ONCE that we have heard of.

I wold say the industry is doing a damned good job of keeping whackadoodles out of the cockpit...

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
11-08-2018, 03:41 PM
(11-08-2018 02:21 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Just so we're clear, he wasn't a mechanic, but rather a luggage-handler.

They call them all "mechanics". I had a friend who cleaned planes for Untied and was also "mechanic". Her then husband painted them and had the same title.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-08-2018, 03:57 PM
(11-08-2018 03:12 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Think about it - this has happened ONCE that we have heard of.

Quite a bit more than once: (These are only the incidents involving commercial carriers - there are others involving general aviation not listed here)

PSA 1771

FedEX 705

JAL 350

RAM 630

Siki 185

Egypt 990

LAM 470

German 9525

MAL 370*

*MAL 370 is unresolved but its circumstances that include deliberate disablement of multiple tracking comms indicate possible crew intervention.