Stop Playing Creationist Game Of Defining Atheism And Its Link To Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Stop Playing Creationist Game Of Defining Atheism And Its Link To Morality
I've come to the conclusion that I am no longer going to play the creationist game of "define atheism" and "atheism and morals".

Atheism is a lack of belief in deities, and that is all. All this extra baggage that comes along with it is because creationists claim that we need their religion in order to be good people, and we need to give some other definition other than the simple lack of belief in deities. Atheism has nothing to do with morals, so that argument is just plain stupid. It is, of course, the religious claim of linking belief in deities with morality that creates this huge political discourse between atheists and creationists. Atheism itself has no requirement to be political. Atheists take a political stance with atheism because they are standing up for their right not to have the religious beliefs of others shoved down their throats. It is religious people that create the political side of atheism. If they didn't use their religious beliefs as an excuse to infringe on the rights of those who do not share their beliefs, then there is no need for atheism and politics to mix.

Suppose we used the term "afairiest" for a person who does not believe in the existence of fairies. Does that mean that "afairism" is something other than a lack of belief in fairies - that we still need to define it further than that? The difference between the lack of belief in fairies and the lack of belief in deities is that nobody is going around trying to infringe on the rights of others due to their lack of belief in fairies.

My stance is quite simple:

-You have the right to believe in your religion and I have the right to not believe in your religion, or any other religion.

- You DO NOT get to treat me as an immoral person simply because I don't share your religious beliefs.

-You DO NOT have the right to force me to take part in anything that endorses your religion.

- You DO NOT have the right to make laws for an entire nation based on your religious beliefs.

- You DO NOT get to choose what my kids learn in school based on your religious beliefs.

- You DO NOT get to violate my freedom of speech when it does not agree with your religious beliefs.

- You DO NOT get to tell a person what they can do with their own body based on your religious beliefs.

I guess what I'm saying is: I'm done with playing their game. I will explain my stance and make my points, and that is it. I will not make 30 posts in a thread where some religious troll ignores all my points and continues to make this stupid argument, while I make the same points over and over again and they get their amusement from it.

It reminds me of that saying about how arguing with willfully ignorant people and playing their game is like wrestling with a pig: You end up all covered in mud and shit, and the pig enjoys it.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
23-10-2014, 05:03 PM
RE: Stop Playing Creationist Game Of Defining Atheism And Its Link To Morality
Quote:My stance is quite simple:
Your stance is irrelevant in christian democratic society. Majority decides what rights you have. Suck it up and cope
23-10-2014, 05:04 PM
(23-10-2014 05:03 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  
Your stance is irrelevant in christian democratic society. Majority decides what rights you have. Suck it up and cope

Talk about irrelevant....

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
23-10-2014, 05:08 PM

The CONSTITUTION decides what rights we have, and after that some hundreds of elected representatives or appointed officials if the Constitution is silent on any particular issue. The decision does NOT belong to a tyranny of the majority in this country, or in anything other than an anarchist's wet dream. If the Christian majority wants to, say, establish a religion for the country, then IT has to suck it up and cope.

(And yes, it's a republic, not a democracy.)
[+] 7 users Like Reltzik's post
23-10-2014, 05:20 PM
(23-10-2014 05:08 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  (And yes, it's a republic, not a democracy.)
It's not a republic at least since Roosevelt fucked constitutional court in the ass during Great Depression
23-10-2014, 05:21 PM

No, the Constitution decides what rights I have, so you and your whiny Christian buddies should suck it up and cope.

Edit: I see Reltzik beat me to it.

23-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Well creationist tend to have a belief that must have things work a certain way for everyone, other wise it won't work

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
23-10-2014, 05:34 PM
(23-10-2014 05:03 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  Your stance is irrelevant in christian democratic society. Majority decides what rights you have. Suck it up and cope

This is absolutely incorrect.

The Constitution in the USA is the ultimate authority on the rights of citizens. In fact, the Constitution (and Bill of Rights) was specifically created with the exact intent to assure that the majority does not get to dictate to the minority.

If 70% of the population of the US voted to allow slavery, it would not be allowed because it is Unconstitutional.

Dimwit...
[+] 4 users Like Simon Moon's post
23-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Double post
23-10-2014, 05:41 PM
(23-10-2014 05:34 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  
(23-10-2014 05:03 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  Your stance is irrelevant in christian democratic society. Majority decides what rights you have. Suck it up and cope

This is absolutely incorrect.

The Constitution in the USA is the ultimate authority on the rights of citizens. In fact, the Constitution (and Bill of Rights) was specifically created with the exact intent to assure that the majority does not get to dictate to the minority.

If 70% of the population of the US voted to allow slavery, it would not be allowed because it is Unconstitutional.

Dimwit...

Atheism is growing in the U.S. every year. Why do I have the feeling that dimaniac won't like his current stance when the U.S. has an atheist majority? Tongue

[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post