Stop the Welfare State, Vol. IV: End The Death Penalty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2013, 06:10 PM
RE: Stop the Welfare State, Vol. IV: End The Death Penalty
Mr. Bugsmasher, I am a big fan of your series here.

Ps. We need to get all the non-violents out of prison though, especially the low level drug offenders. I think that's a bigger fish. If you didn't hold someone up with a gun or knife, steal thousands, beat someone shitless, kill or rape someone you don't belong in Jail.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2013, 06:44 PM
(03-07-2013 06:10 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Mr. Bugsmasher, I am a big fan of your series here.

Ps. We need to get all the non-violents out of prison though, especially the low level drug offenders. I think that's a bigger fish. If you didn't hold someone up with a gun or knife, steal thousands, beat someone shitless, kill or rape someone you don't belong in Jail.

Ahhhhh......just wait for Stop The Welfare State, Vol. V!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
03-07-2013, 06:50 PM
(03-07-2013 05:03 PM)nach_in Wrote:  This is a compelling argument, but it would only bring back the guillotine. There're few things that can quench the blood thirst of a society and usually it involves more blood

I'm not quite sure what this means. I'm not arguing for the death penalty in any form.

Executions are cheap. The price of a few vials of pharmaceuticals or a few jolts of electricity only cost a few hundred dollars to administer. No the real tragedy of the Death Penalty is that its welfare for defense lawyers.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
03-07-2013, 06:55 PM
(03-07-2013 06:50 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 05:03 PM)nach_in Wrote:  This is a compelling argument, but it would only bring back the guillotine. There're few things that can quench the blood thirst of a society and usually it involves more blood

I'm not quite sure what this means. I'm not arguing for the death penalty in any form.

Executions are cheap. The price of a few vials of pharmaceuticals or a few jolts of electricity only cost a few hundred dollars to administer. No the real tragedy of the Death Penalty is that its welfare for defense lawyers.

I believe that comment was in response to TheBlackKnight, who was offering his usual level of contribution to this discussion Dodgy

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
03-07-2013, 09:45 PM
(03-07-2013 06:50 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  

Sorry, I was trying to imply some sort of swift trial and rapid executions, like the ones in those shaky times of the guillotine... I obviously failed Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
03-07-2013, 10:32 PM
(03-07-2013 09:45 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 06:50 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I'm not quite sure what this means. I'm not arguing for the death penalty in any form.

Sorry, I was trying to imply some sort of swift trial and rapid executions, like the ones in those shaky times of the guillotine... I obviously failed Tongue

I got it with reform comes risk.

The liberal solution is life without parole, the Texas solution is forget the appeals and just hang 'em high!

I'd rather have an expensive death penalty with a lot of checks in place than be a member of King Geoffrey's court.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-07-2013, 02:14 PM
(03-07-2013 10:32 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(03-07-2013 09:45 PM)nach_in Wrote:  Sorry, I was trying to imply some sort of swift trial and rapid executions, like the ones in those shaky times of the guillotine... I obviously failed Tongue

I got it with reform comes risk.

The liberal solution is life without parole, the Texas solution is forget the appeals and just hang 'em high!

I'd rather have an expensive death penalty with a lot of checks in place than be a member of King Geoffrey's court.

I'm against death penalty since I have use of reason, it's not healthy for a society to have general and universal rules on what makes people human and worthy of living. Too much hubris, very little reason, and zero compassion

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
06-07-2013, 07:21 PM
I have only one quibble with your article, Carlo, and perhaps that is covered elsewhere. That is the annoying tendency of aggressive district attorneys (aggressive in the sense of pushing their own political careers) who do not give a rat's ass how much it costs as long as they can show the cretins who elect them how "tough" they are on crime. Of course, when the crime is perpetuated by a member of the country club set and involves the theft of billions they choose to approach them for campaign contributions rather than indict them.

Other than that, well said, sir.
06-07-2013, 07:34 PM
(02-07-2013 06:53 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  There is nothing about the death penalty that is anything other than vindictive. You kill someone we gonna kill ya back. It is medieval and repulsive and above all else ineffective. It would be abhorrent even if it wasn't demonstrably racist, which it is. This is one of the very few issues that the Catholic Church is on the right side of.

I wouldn't call it repulsive. And I find nothing wrong with the revenge aspect. I personally think the choice should lie in the hands of the victim's family. You want them dead? It's in your hands. Of course this would still have to go through the normal processes of proving guilt.

I do not care what anyone thinks. If someone kills a loved one, I will kill them myself if given the legal opportunity. But that will never happen so I will fight for the death penalty. Sorry, you don't deserve to live if you intentionally killed a loved one in MY book. I don't want to know that you're breathing the air that my loved one should be breathing.

Vindictive, medieval, and downright brute. Yup, that would be me in that situation.

I'd like to add though, unless I saw the person myself commit the act or it was caught on tape, I would be hesitant to push for the person's death. Only because of the risk of false accusations. But if it's 100% undeniable... leave me in a locked room with the man.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
08-07-2013, 02:22 AM
I loathe executions because they are nothing but a sanitized form of blood-sport that in some ways is not essentially different than what the Romans practiced in their coliseums. The criminals are brought forth to be slayed by the “Justice System” while the crowd looks on via the media and cheers.

Instead of eventually letting the criminals get shredded by the beasts, (per Roman Practice) they are damned by the victim’s families in public who wish upon them that they might burn in hell forever – then they are sent off to be executed. In Rome it was called “Damnati Ad Bestias” (Dammed to the Beasts), in America it’s called “Justice” and “Closure”. Everybody cheers. And everybody is made less of a person when it happens, and this was recognized more than 200 years ago by the Roman Philosopher Seneca:

"There is nothing so ruinous to good character as to idle away one's time at some spectacle. Vices have a way of creeping in because of the feeling of pleasure that it brings. Why do you think that I say that I personally return from shows greedier, more ambitious and more given to luxury, and I might add, with thoughts of greater cruelty and less humanity, simply because I have been among humans?”

- Seneca (~50 AD)