Story Idea

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Story Idea
I'm brainstorming an idea for a story. Before I continue, I must explain a few things.

I took a 400 level biology course on Herpetology in early 2010. The neatest thing I learned is that Amphibians (frogs and salamanders) can chose to become cannibals and change their bodies to accommodate larger prey. This change includes a restructuring of the jaw, a widening of the mouth, enlarging of the head, and, in frogs especially, the lengthening and increase of Vomerine teeth. Here is a drawing that compares three different Salamanders’ normal states (top) with their cannibal forms (bottom):

[Image: cannibalsalamanders.jpg]

Notice how different the mouth looks, and they look a lot meaner too. It is believed that cannibalism is caused by environments with low food sources. Laboratory experiments have shown cannibals are less likely to eat their own family. The theory is that they pick up on genetic chemical cues that let them know to stay away from their own children or siblings. However, this doesn’t always work. When you’ve gotta eat, you’ve gotta eat!

I came up with a scenario where U.S. military scientists want to create super-soldiers who can survive and even thrive in environments most humans would not be able to. For the aquatic domain, the scientists take navy seals and splice in genes from various species of amphibians. This gives the soldiers the ability to breathe through their skin, spend long periods of time under water, swim quickly, jump long distances, cling to surfaces, and even hibernate (yes, some amphibians do this). The latter ability would be a boon because they could dig down into the mud and hibernate in enemy lines for a given time, awaken, perform a series of guerrilla attacks, and (if necessary) find a new hibernation place to escape apprehension. Squads of these soldiers could operate on alternating schedules, meaning a whole platoon could take out a larger enemy component without the U.S. having to resort to sending an entire division.

But would happen if these soldiers were exposed to the same circumstances that lead amphibians to become cannibals? Considering they operate on alternating schedules, I could see one or two squads awakening during winter when there is little food. This causes them to take on drastic physiological changes akin to the Amphibians whose genes have been spliced with their own. This means the soldiers would take on a monstrous appearance to fit their monstrous diet. This is a permanent transformation, so they would continue to wreak mayhem even after the food situation had changed. The other squads could awaken to battle their mutated brothers, but I like to think the latter would be more powerful as their amphibian traits have become more dominant. Someone suggested to me that I base the story in South America during the 80s. The tropical climate would help such creatures thrive.

To make the story more interesting, I was thinking of a way for there to be more half-human-half-amphibian monsters. Then I remembered back to some of the research papers we had to read in class. One scientist did an experiment where he exposed a male frog to a large dosage of the herbicide Atrazine, which is used around the world. The chemical turned the frog into a female who could mate and lay viable eggs of its own. Therefore, a mishap could introduce some of the mutated soldiers to Atrazine, turning them into females. This means the soldiers could mate and produce mutant offspring. I realize this last bit is gross, but it makes these monsters so much more alien as it crosses the line of gender. If the outbreak of the "Cane Toad" in Australia is any indication, these monsters could rapidly reproduce and span out over large distances eating everything in their path.

I served in the U.S. Army 82nd Airborne Division for 3 years. I guess you could say this story was influenced by my service and my interest in biology. Suggestions are welcome.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2011, 10:31 AM
RE: Story Idea
add:

-russians that only speak English with a funny accent
-standard pistols that can fire 50+ rounds (and never miss)
-vehicles that immediatly explode when shot
-Bad guy that has a chihuahua with an eyepatch
-Megan Fox
-an amphibious-SEAL rape scene (with Mega Fox Tongue )
-an abandoned mine with a minecart chase scene
-Bad guy revives a last time even though he's been shot 8 times already
-a bomb that can only be defused when the timer has 2 seconds left

...and you've got yourself a Hollywood blockbuster Big Grin

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Thammuz's post
05-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Sounds like a really interesting idea! I'd say write a screenplay instead of a book (if you are toying with both options). I'd watch it.

Just visiting.

-SR
05-06-2011, 01:54 PM
[Image: B3GDL.jpg]

I agree it could be a cool movie, but isn't this kind of theme done before?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
06-06-2011, 05:56 PM
(05-06-2011 11:36 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Sounds like a really interesting idea! I'd say write a screenplay instead of a book (if you are toying with both options). I'd watch it.
Thanks. Each soldier would be spliced with a different kind of amphibian to gain a certain set of abilities. This means there would be different kinds of monsters running around after the starved soldiers mutate into their cannibal forms. I'm sure a talented special effects team could come up with some awesome looking creatures. As for writing a screenplay, I've never done such a thing, not to mention the fact that I'm not much of a writer to begin with. I'm better at coming up with ideas than I am physically writing the story.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-09-2011, 09:36 PM
"I realize this last bit is gross, but it makes these monsters so much more alien as it crosses the line of gender."

Ha -that cracks me up. Females of many species do become quite ferocious after giving birth; it is theorized their bodies must have protein. The very social, adorable, prairie dog has been found to cannibalize several neighboring dens and even her own just after giving birth. After her rampage, which might even result in the killing of another mother, she seems to have no recollection of the incident and will even care for surviving pups of another female she's just killed & eaten.
So yes, female by all means... we are so much more alien. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
13-09-2011, 06:03 AM
The idea is excellent, except this part about changing gender. I don't see it as possible for humans to make such a huge change in their bodies, not like the frogs who can already be hermaphrodites, without any medicine to give them. Other is OK and I can actually see all that you have described. If you think about it, you don't even need the transsexual humans, you can just ad couple of she-soldiers to begin with, or just grab them from some village in the Amazon, where they could have lived, killed, feed, rape, hide, learn, explore, meditate ... you have thousands of different things you can do with a small Amazon tribe and cannibal mutant human ninja turtles...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
13-09-2011, 06:17 AM
(06-06-2011 05:56 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  As for writing a screenplay, I've never done such a thing, not to mention the fact that I'm not much of a writer to begin with. I'm better at coming up with ideas than I am physically writing the story.

Im pretty much the same..........I dont get on with writing, I cant keep up with my head and my words never do my thoughs justice anyway.......but it hasnt stopped me trying to write a book.

Can I reccomend buying a DictoPhone.....you can pick them up really cheap nowadays. I think there good because as you get ideas, you can speak them into it and for me I prefer speaking the story out loud first.........so when I come to write it the next day I have a nice, paced story to work with that I can adapt as I go.

Good luck though......storys sounds intriguing Big Grin

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
13-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Hey, if you want, we can try and write a bit together, we will give you all sorts of ideas, you discard or collect them, then start writing...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
13-09-2011, 01:27 PM
The science doesn't need to be as accurate for a movie as for a written story, but both need a central character and several supporting roles, about whom the audience/readers care.

then, some details.
Meanwhile the enemy... Who? What are their capabilities? Is where? Does what?
And after the rampage? How are the monsters to be stopped? Mutated giant snake with terminator gene? Or - hey! - maybe the original experiment subjects have such a gene, unbeknownst to themselves, but their offspring don't? Oh, but the offspring are hybrid anyway, so there won't be another generation.

Okay, you've got me interested enough to plot, so it's probably a good idea.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.