Story Research (Need Scientific Insight)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Story Research (Need Scientific Insight)
I'm currently writing a story, and I need someone who knows a bit about global warming and the effects it may have on our planet in the next 30-40 years. (I like to be as realistic as possible) My idea is that in 30 years or so, there simply wont be any snowfall during Winter in the northern hemisphere - specifically the US; because that's where the story takes place - due to the steady increase in global temperature. Does global warming even work this way? If so, is it an accurate representation of what we can expect in the next 30 years?

Sources would also be greatly appreciated, if possible.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2013, 08:24 AM
RE: Story Research (Need Scientific Insight)
(05-04-2013 08:20 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I'm currently writing a story, and I need someone who knows a bit about global warming and the effects it may have on our planet in the next 30-40 years. (I like to be as realistic as possible) My idea is that in 30 years or so, there simply wont be any snowfall during Winter in the northern hemisphere - specifically the US; because that's where the story takes place - due to the steady increase in global temperature. Does global warming even work this way? If so, is it an accurate representation of what we can expect in the next 30 years?

Sources would also be greatly appreciated, if possible.

I don't know what sources to send you, but I don't think that is accurate. Snow won't stay as long and ice formation will be reduced to higher and higher latitudes/altitudes.

Look at this winter. It has been prolonged and quite snow-rich because of the latent heat capacity of water. Bodies of water store more heat, and give that heat off as moisture during the winter, which supplies the snow.

So, some areas may indeed get more snow in 20-30 years. Shocking

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
05-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Hmm. Does that mean that "The Day After Tomorrow" was more accurate than I originally thought? At least somewhat?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
05-04-2013, 08:35 AM
(05-04-2013 08:29 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Hmm. Does that mean that "The Day After Tomorrow" was more accurate than I originally thought? At least somewhat?

Ummm....not quite.

If the ice caps melt completely, and flush the Atlantic with cold freshwater, it should shut off the Global Conveyor Belt. If that happens, climates will drastically change, and will probably result in cooler climates further north in the northern hemisphere, but there will be no warm water holding any moisture or heat, so no delivery of moisture to the land masses.

Climates are going to go haywire, but I think the biggest impact will be on moisture delivery and weather patterns.

I have no clue exactly how long that process will take, or how long it will last. And it is further complicated by positive and negative feedback loops.

Shut down the conveyor, make the North Pole colder, freeze more of the northern oceans, draw temperatures down and suck out freshwater, then...turn back on the conveyor belt?

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
05-04-2013, 08:37 AM
The day after tomorrow was dramatizing Snowball Earth as something that could recur, which is absurd since we are not quite sure how it happened 750 million years ago. And the land masses were arranged differently. And there were essentially no metazoans.

Evolve
05-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Maybe the connection could be plants blooming earlier and earlier in the year, but still receiving snowfall?

As in, Cherry blossoms in February, that are then covered by a foot of snow that only lasts for a day or two.

Evolve
05-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Contact the youtuber Potholer54, a.k.a. Peter Hadfield. He is a science journalist with lots of knowledge on global warming.
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
05-04-2013, 08:39 AM
And people planting palms and banana trees further north.

Evolve
05-04-2013, 08:40 AM
AM I NOT GOOD ENOUGH GE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evolve
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
05-04-2013, 09:13 AM
(05-04-2013 08:40 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  AM I NOT GOOD ENOUGH GE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dry your tears little one ... just kidding. I actually didn't see your comment. I just replied to Missy's original post.