Story of creation and unanswered questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2013, 11:42 AM
RE: Story of creation and unanswered questions
^ . . . I wouldn't hold your breath. But you are so right on the abiguity. Hardly the product of a "perfect god".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 12:57 PM
(08-02-2013 10:47 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 06:36 AM)hedgehog648 Wrote:  I think you interpreted the second day wrong pxl.

According to Genesis 1, the firmament (not skies, though maybe it says skies in one of the other translations, I'm going with KJV) is a solid dome over the earth put in place to stop the water that fills the entirety of space from crashing down to Earth, with the stars set into it like tiny spotlights on a ceiling.

Remember Noah's Ark? The flood is described as being started by God opening holes in the firmament to let the space waters through and flood the Earth. And before the first day God's spirit is described as being reflected on the surface of the waters.

Also Genesis 1 talks of "above" and "below" the Earth. This makes no sense when talking about a sphere travelling through space. But when talking about a flat Earth with us on one side and pretty much nothing on the other, perspectives like above and below start making sense.

You'd think we'd have noticed all these things when astronauts started going into space really.
According to kingschosen, one of the most accurate English translations of the Bible is the New American Standard Bible (NASB). In this version, the Genesis account also talks about "above the earth", though not about "below the earth".

Genesis 1:20
20 Then God said, “Let the waters teem with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open expanse of the heavens.”

With that said, I'm not entirely sure about whether this verse is referring to the planet "earth" or if it simply means the earth beneath our feet.
This is correct. The word is very ambiguous as it can mean many different things.

In context, it seems to mean "the sky" and "the ground".

[Image: vjp09.gif]
08-02-2013, 01:07 PM
"In context, it seems to mean "the sky" and "the ground"."

It has been my experience that the word context, when used by a bible apologist, means "whatever use suits my interpretation".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
08-02-2013, 01:13 PM
(08-02-2013 01:07 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  "In context, it seems to mean "the sky" and "the ground"."

It has been my experience that the word context, when used by a bible apologist, means "whatever use suits my interpretation".
Except I'm not an apologist and I don't believe in a literal creation story... so, I guess your experience is wrong now?

"In context" is based on what I've learned about Ancient Near East writings, their history, and how they word things.

08-02-2013, 02:44 PM
If I said all men have penises and a woman pops in and says she doesn't have one, does that make my statement invalid?
08-02-2013, 03:33 PM
(08-02-2013 02:44 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  If I said all men have penises and a woman pops in and says she doesn't have one, does that make my statement invalid?
It is if you called the woman a man.

08-02-2013, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 12:31 AM by kim.)
Meh, this Genesis stuff has nothing to do with the god character - it's just a preface for volume 2 - it's like a voice over saying, "last time on Weeds..." and then a smattering of back story.

If you want to know what god actually thought about people talking about "creation"... you'll want to check out the book of Job.

I'll warn ya... god gets kinda cranky. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
09-02-2013, 12:06 PM
"It is if you called the woman a man."

How so?
09-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Since no response to my last comment so, I'll elaborate. I notice that some people don't even own the original book... I find that fairly apropos. Anyway, somewhere in Job - around chapter 37 -the whirlwind cometh- and Job pees his pants.
Job - around chapter 38 or so ... god talks in red... probably because he's pissed.

"Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge? Answer me, Medamnit! Where were you, you little human turd when I laid the earth's foundations? Huh? Who was there to hold the other end of the measuring tape? Measure twice, cut once, A-Hole -now you know why the shit's fucked!! Who was around … oh, and if YOU were there, then why the fuck didn't you at least have the sense to hand me a fucking beer, huh? HUH? Did you even hear me say, "do not cross this line, cause you probably can't anyway." … ? NO, bi-otch. No, no, no and uh, NO. Feel like a dick, now - huh? - you and your arrogant fucking pride."

So, I'm probably paraphrasing a little there but you get the gist. Pretty much says it all: man does not know anything about creation and is pretty arrogant for thinking he does.

As for the new testament - all that Genesis crap - the Adam & Eve - "Garden" incident - all that shit - speculation. It never happened in the story of the Story. The new testament was written at least a thousand years after god said all that to Job. The stuff like that in the new testament that is a repeat of the early stuff - that's just back story to elaborate and update.

The new testament was just supposed to be the sequel to this epic collection of stories and it needed to sell. The only way to sell something is to keep the main premise and update shit for the time it's gonna be sold in. Of course, you wanna hook the younger audience so you put in some sex, a little murder, maybe a love triangle, some spooky shit for the goth weirdos …. Bob's your uncle: best seller.

Ever see that movie Highlander the first one with Connor & Ramirez & Clancy Brown?
Yep - fucking AWESOME! Ever see the second one? Uh huh. Then we move on to the third one - ok - better. Then the series which was fantastic - new flashy characters, fun, great stories.
Then, the films just sort of turn into fanboy shit and…. it's dead. Even though Methos did look pretty hot in fringed leather chaps.
Same shit happened with the Little Rascals - cute, and they even have had their intermittent revivals, but they're done.

Point is: the center can not hold - things fall apart - this too shall pass. Christees just need to move on... maybe read Cosmos or something. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-02-2013, 09:37 AM
I've also noticed that many theists pick one topic and start debating on it, while they omit other topics that require a closer look. So here, they would stick and debate if the skies were the skies and if plants need light to survive, while there was no word about a much bigger absurdity: Humans populating from a couple and their 2 sons.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
[+] 1 user Likes pxlgirl's post