Story of creation and unanswered questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2013, 10:41 AM
RE: Story of creation and unanswered questions
(10-02-2013 09:37 AM)pxlgirl Wrote:  I've also noticed that many theists pick one topic and start debating on it, while they omit other topics that require a closer look. So here, they would stick and debate if the skies were the skies and if plants need light to survive, while there was no word about a much bigger absurdity: Humans populating from a couple and their 2 sons.

That's because they keep trying to apply science to the Genesis backstory or hearsay, when their god is supposedly pissed about them using words without knowledge. Further proof that many christian theists have either never read the first book or they simply have no reading comprehension. However, I think it may be even more complex.

I read the Bhagavad Gita three times and each printed book I happened to acquire was presented by some particular swami. Each printing was pretty much the same; the original text would be in bold and the swami's in interpretation would follow. A few pages into my final reading, I decided to read only the bold text; it was much more fulfilling to interpret it myself, it made more sense, and I found the previous swamis' interpretations not only lacking but actually censorial. Each swami put his own judgemental and sometimes quite sexist bend into each passage while other passages were, I can only guess, controversial and were dismissed in commentary. I found this shocking at the time but it was just further evidence that every so called "holy book" and therefore religion, was just an instrument of exploitation. I'm sure the swamis' already knew this as I'm sure every priest, minister, temple host, missionary, etc., knows.

DLJ's Theism vs Theism thread discusses the lack of knowledge of the christian view of their own religion. I think DLJ makes a valid point about why Islam's growth has overtaken Christianity's growth in Asia; it's followers can't even discuss their own religion competently. Who wants to follow an obvious idiot? Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2013, 01:36 PM
One of my friends put it oh so awesomely in Sunday School one morning. She was like, "So, in the beginning there was incest?"

It is brutal listening to Christians explain that one away.

"Oh, the Bible doesn't say that God didn't create other people that Adam and Eve's kids could marry."

Or

"Oh, genetics didn't matter back then."

Right. I mean, wrong.
11-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Correct. With a "god who is the same yesterday, today, and forever", . . . if something is an "abomination" at one point in time, it would be for ANY point in time.
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
07-03-2013, 05:44 PM
(11-02-2013 01:36 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  One of my friends put it oh so awesomely in Sunday School one morning. She was like, "So, in the beginning there was incest?"

"Oh, the Bible doesn't say that God didn't create other people that Adam and Eve's kids could marry."

Or

Right. I mean, wrong.
There is a mention of other people when Cain was disciplined. We don't have all the information, just what we need. Seeds of doubt are fine.
07-03-2013, 05:45 PM
(11-02-2013 02:40 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Correct. With a "god who is the same yesterday, today, and forever", . . . if something is an "abomination" at one point in time, it would be for ANY point in time.
Not necessarily. Genocide was ordered a few times for specific purposes. The OT laws are not followed now because we are under the New Covenant.
07-03-2013, 11:17 PM
(07-03-2013 05:45 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 02:40 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Correct. With a "god who is the same yesterday, today, and forever", . . . if something is an "abomination" at one point in time, it would be for ANY point in time.
Not necessarily. Genocide was ordered a few times for specific purposes. The OT laws are not followed now because we are under the New Covenant.

What do you mean 'we'?

I am under no covenant.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-03-2013, 11:35 PM
(07-03-2013 05:45 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  

Then explain Matthew 5:17-20 (NAS)

17 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not [h]the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

19 Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches [i]others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever [j]keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20 “For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
08-03-2013, 06:33 AM
(11-02-2013 01:36 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  One of my friends put it oh so awesomely in Sunday School one morning. She was like, "So, in the beginning there was incest?"

Or

Right. I mean, wrong.
Before Eve's sin the human genome wasn't mutable as it is today. Illness caused by inbreeding wasn't an issue before the fall, so it was applicable.

Check out my YouTube channel for more videos and information Smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5PX9Y...1uwXxWwQ6w
08-03-2013, 07:00 AM
"Before Eve's sin the human genome
wasn't mutable as it is today. Illness caused by inbreeding wasn't an
issue before the fall, so it was applicable."

Evidence?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like bbeljefe's post
08-03-2013, 08:24 AM
(08-03-2013 07:00 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  "Before Eve's sin the human genome
wasn't mutable as it is today. Illness caused by inbreeding wasn't an
issue before the fall, so it was applicable."

Evidence?
Because the harm of incest isn't mentioned to Adam and Eve, and yet by the times of Noah and Lot it is known and incest is portrayed as a negative thing.

Before the fall of man - incest isn't mentioned because it isn't a problem
After the fall of man - incest is known to be harmful because human DNA became less perfect upon banishment from the Garden.

Check out my YouTube channel for more videos and information Smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5PX9Y...1uwXxWwQ6w