Straight Ticket Voting (aka Voting for Dummies)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Straight Ticket Voting (aka Voting for Dummies)
Michigan failed at getting rid of the straight ticket voting option....

Its a shame.

Here's how I see it.

If you're going to go out of your way to vote - shouldn't you put just a fucking smidgen of thought into the process? Maybe even research the candidates - and find out what they at least claim their position is on subjects of interest to you??

Are you really so fucking lazy that you can't be bothered to engage your brain and do a bit of reasoned guessing, as to who's a better candidate?

And -- if you REALLY think that one party fully represents you -- you're either an incredibly dull, predictable person --- or you're simply a knee knocked moron......

Here's a suggestion --- if you're really that lazy --- stay home....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2016, 02:43 PM
RE: Straight Ticket Voting (aka Voting for Dummies)
Don't think I've seen that option on a Maryland ballot. oh, and Santorum 2016!

#sigh
01-09-2016, 04:34 PM
Nice post Mr. Biker. The unspoken presumption of straight ticket voting is that the worst of your party is still better than the best of the other party, about as bald an absurdity as can be made, particularly when party affiliation isn't vetted, any jackass can self register membership.

But I've never liked voting in any context, personally, especially for people. It's a process vacant of meaningful analysis - and any attempted analytical participation can be entirely overwhelmed by irrational effects. In politics I'd eliminate voting for people outright and staff government's flag offices by draft - it'd be a civic responsibility similar to jury duty. You'd still get jackasses but the system voting creates is one that stocks the pool with nothing but jackasses.

Still, eliminating straight ticket participation would at least blunt one of the many thorns of unreason in the process. Too bad we can't even achieve that much.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
01-09-2016, 06:30 PM
Message to non-Murikans:

Allow me to translate ...

(01-09-2016 02:15 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ...
straight ticket voting option

Straight-ticket voting or straight-party voting is the practice of voting for every candidate that a political party has on a general election ballot.

So if you weren't sure whether the OP meant by "Voting for Dummies":
a) Voting instructions to make it easy (think bright yellow book) for people with low intelligence, or
b) Voting in favour of candidates of low intelligence ...

... yes, both.

Rolleyes

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
01-09-2016, 06:34 PM
I've never even heard of that option before this thread. Crazy Michiganders. Or Michigoslings. Or whatever you call yourself these days.

#sigh
02-09-2016, 02:55 AM
Wait, you're saying I'm supposed to think inside the booth?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
02-09-2016, 05:26 AM
With my dodgy visuals I first read this as "Straight Jacket Voting..."

Yes I thought.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
02-09-2016, 05:31 AM
(01-09-2016 04:34 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Nice post Mr. Biker. The unspoken presumption of straight ticket voting is that the worst of your party is still better than the best of the other party, about as bald an absurdity as can be made, particularly when party affiliation isn't vetted, any jackass can self register membership.

But I've never liked voting in any context, personally, especially for people. It's a process vacant of meaningful analysis - and any attempted analytical participation can be entirely overwhelmed by irrational effects. In politics I'd eliminate voting for people outright and staff government's flag offices by draft - it'd be a civic responsibility similar to jury duty. You'd still get jackasses but the system voting creates is one that stocks the pool with nothing but jackasses.

Still, eliminating straight ticket participation would at least blunt one of the many thorns of unreason in the process. Too bad we can't even achieve that much.

I have posted the idea of choosing leadership by lot on the board here before. I do think you get a better class of leader overall.

To paraphrase Douglas Adams anyone who wants to be president should under no circumstances be allowed to do the job.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
02-09-2016, 06:22 AM
(01-09-2016 04:34 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Nice post Mr. Biker. The unspoken presumption of straight ticket voting is that the worst of your party is still better than the best of the other party, about as bald an absurdity as can be made, particularly when party affiliation isn't vetted, any jackass can self register membership.

You'll still get nothing but jackasses, only now you'll get nothing but jackasses who have even less of a clue than the jackasses you have now.

Why should I trade a bunch of elected jackasses for a bunch of selected jackasses? And who's going to decide whom the jackass that pulls names out of the jackass hat is?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
02-09-2016, 08:04 AM
(02-09-2016 06:22 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  

You'll still get nothing but jackasses, only now you'll get nothing but jackasses who have even less of a clue than the jackasses you have now.

Why should I trade a bunch of elected jackasses for a bunch of selected jackasses? And who's going to decide whom the jackass that pulls names out of the jackass hat is?

My idea -- pull a "candidate pool" by lot. Interview and publish the results of the opinions and possible voting stances of the pool.... Have them vetted for stupidity, criminality, or mental defect ---- then let us vote on them.....

Best part --- it could be done race/gender/sexual preference/religion/ect - blind...... You wouldn't get to see the candidate till after the election.

Put in LOTS of "checks and balances" to make the whole affair as free from the pandering of special interest groups --- get rid of the money influence -- and free the airways from the scourge of political advertising.....