Strange Find

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Strange Find
I found this strange 1920s New Age electrotherapy machine at a client's house. I made a video to show to my mom because it's so weird.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like ghostexorcist's post
03-09-2016, 09:37 PM
RE: Strange Find
Cool find!

OK, first of all, I thought your arms would be hairier, like your avatar. I'm disappoint. Tongue

Second, given the color, and amount of time you were exposed, let us know how your eyes are, in the morning. It appears to potentially be a Mercury vapor ionization color, which emits a fair amount of ultraviolet light, which, if present, can damage your eyes quite quickly, due to the intensity. Just so you know of the potential for damage. If you demonstrate it to potential clients for purchase, make sure you know of this potential problem. It could just be the electric discharge generating ozone. Note that people were using (radioactive) Radium to paint hats in that era for the glow, before the effects of ionizing radiation were better understood. Maybe research that thing a bit before you sell it and get sued. I live in the Litigation State, California. Forewarned is forearmed! Smartass
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
03-09-2016, 10:05 PM
There are some on ebay. Check them out, it might give you a good idea of the value.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/violet-ray-generators
03-09-2016, 10:43 PM
"... got a kick out of it as much as I did."

I saw what you did there!

And no, I doubt we did. Or at least, not in the same way.

Big Grin

p.s. I'm avoiding the obvious Violet Wand reference. I'll let someone less sophisticated have the pleasure of that.

Wink

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-09-2016, 11:46 PM
(03-09-2016 10:43 PM)DLJ Wrote:  p.s. I'm avoiding the obvious Violet Wand reference. I'll let someone less sophisticated have the pleasure of that.

Wink

Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-09-2016, 09:23 AM
(03-09-2016 09:37 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Cool find!

[...]

Second, given the color, and amount of time you were exposed, let us know how your eyes are, in the morning. It appears to potentially be a Mercury vapor ionization color, which emits a fair amount of ultraviolet light, which, if present, can damage your eyes quite quickly, due to the intensity. Just so you know of the potential for damage. If you demonstrate it to potential clients for purchase, make sure you know of this potential problem. It could just be the electric discharge generating ozone. Note that people were using (radioactive) Radium to paint hats in that era for the glow, before the effects of ionizing radiation were better understood. Maybe research that thing a bit before you sell it and get sued. I live in the Litigation State, California. Forewarned is forearmed! Smartass

My eyes are fine. I figured there was some type of ionized gas in the tubes to make them glow a particular color. It does produce an ozone smell during use.

(03-09-2016 10:05 PM)pablo Wrote:  There are some on ebay. Check them out, it might give you a good idea of the value.

The "sold" filter on ebay is my go to source for gauging what an item will sell for. This might go for between $75 to $125; however, given the odd nature of the piece and the super nice items in the sale, I expect it to do even higher.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
04-09-2016, 09:37 AM
(04-09-2016 09:23 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 09:37 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Cool find!

[...]

My eyes are fine. I figured there was some type of ionized gas in the tubes to make them glow a particular color. It does produce an ozone smell during use.

(03-09-2016 10:05 PM)pablo Wrote:  There are some on ebay. Check them out, it might give you a good idea of the value.

The "sold" filter on ebay is my go to source for gauging what an item will sell for. This might go for between $75 to $125; however, given the odd nature of the piece and the super nice items in the sale, I expect it to do even higher.
If produces ozone chances are the lightbisvruch in UV.

And UV is produced by gas discharge tubes with the correct gas or mixture. Mercury vapour being an example.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
04-09-2016, 09:42 AM
See

http://www.museumofquackery.com/devices/uv.htm

04-09-2016, 11:11 AM
(03-09-2016 09:01 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I found this strange 1920s New Age electrotherapy machine at a client's house. I made a video to show to my mom because it's so weird.

Growing up as a kid I have always had a bad back. I went to my first chiropractor at the age of 5 years. The same day I had my eyes examined and got my first pair of glasses. But somewhere before the age of 10 (1956 closer to 1926 than to 2016) I went to a chiropractor who had a machine something like that. The chiropractor was old and almost blind, but he gave me more relief than most of them did. How much of that was from his machine that sent sparks into my back I will never know.
04-09-2016, 11:36 AM
(04-09-2016 11:11 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 09:01 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I found this strange 1920s New Age electrotherapy machine at a client's house. I made a video to show to my mom because it's so weird.

Growing up as a kid I have always had a bad back. I went to my first chiropractor at the age of 5 years. The same day I had my eyes examined and got my first pair of glasses. But somewhere before the age of 10 (1956 closer to 1926 than to 2016) I went to a chiropractor who had a machine something like that. The chiropractor was old and almost blind, but he gave me more relief than most of them did. How much of that was from his machine that sent sparks into my back I will never know.

Perhaps he was almost blind from using UV type devices for too long?

Chances are my centre-of-vision problem has an historical origin in some experiments that I did many years ago that involved striking an arc. Days before health and safety at work was quite so strict, no safety assessments or onus on employers to provide the correct gear.

[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post