Strange coincidences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Strange coincidences
Hello some other guy told me a story of a woman who survived a gunshot because her bible somehow stopted the bullets I don't know if the guy was lying but I have heard about some very strange coincidences. perhaps an explanation of why these things happen would be very fascinating. perhaps tell some ones you heard of yourself or experienced yourself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2017, 12:45 PM
RE: Strange coincidences
Oh, there are all sorts of coincidences that one can rack up to "God's will" (or whatever deity one chooses). They've happened to me too. Not quite as dramatic as a bible stopping a bullet, but still...

I was driving home from the hospital after visiting my wife. She had been involved in a very serious traffic accident that would leave her permanently disabled.

On my way home - it was about a 45 minute drive - I prayed out loud for God to help us. I didn't have any other words as I was too distraught.

That day on the way home I got every green light.

Now, in my fragile state I took that as a sign that God had heard me and that everything would be ok.

Nonsense, of course. I should have thanked the traffic control system, but in my state of extreme distress I was looking for something, anything, that would tell me that everything was going to be all right.

Things were not all right. After surgeries & years of physio & tens of thousands of dollars in counselling appointments, she left me, took over half my money and is still in pain pretty much every day.

What you're seeing is confirmation bias. In short, you see what you expect to see and what affirms the biases you already hold.

If you believe in a God, then you'll see everything around you as confirming that belief. If you belief Trump is doing a good job, everything he does will be, to your mind, good. (Note: I don't mean you, personally, but "you" in the collective sense, which is appropriate since the Trump phenomena is primarily a collective enterprise - they're the last living Marxists.)
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
07-02-2017, 12:51 PM
Coincidences happen all the time. It's based on probability. There's a really good book called the Improbability Principle by David Hand. I highly recommend reading it. We also tend to count the hits and not the misses. Think of how many times there are misses, way more misses than actual hits aka coincidences. Since religion is such a big part of our lives (whether we like it or not) it's not at all surprising that some coincidences could involve religion. I also think you have to be careful of urban legends, stories that can take on a life of their own. A lot of times they contain embellished facts or details. Always check your sources Wink
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
07-02-2017, 12:52 PM
The ones I find fascinating are simultaneous inventions. It's like technology advances through pimple pops of thought spraying everywhere.

#sigh
07-02-2017, 12:53 PM
(07-02-2017 12:51 PM)jennybee Wrote:  There's a really good book called the Improbability Principle by David Hand.

That's a great book. Here's a brief outline of it here: The Improbability Principle
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
07-02-2017, 02:38 PM
This is an amazing coincidence:

Waste Dead

Chris is a little man who is obsessed with the internet sensation known as planking (where a person lies face down in various places). Chris has his stripper girlfriend take photos of him planking in various places at a local playground. His girlfriend is a camerawoman. Then, when a pissed off soccer mom with a kid tries to take back the playground, he tells her to go away in a form of abuse. He comes across a seesaw and attempts to plank on it, little did they know, when the airplane passed out, a piece of "blue-ice" (A solid mixture of sewage and disinfectant) lands on the other side of the seesaw, launching him high into the air and he lands on the top crossbar of a swing set, which breaks his ribs and punctures his heart and lungs, causing him to die from massive internal bleeding. His girlfriend is left terrified.

What are the odds?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
07-02-2017, 03:11 PM
(07-02-2017 02:38 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  This is an amazing coincidence:

Waste Dead

Chris is a little man who is obsessed with the internet sensation known as planking (where a person lies face down in various places). Chris has his stripper girlfriend take photos of him planking in various places at a local playground. His girlfriend is a camerawoman. Then, when a pissed off soccer mom with a kid tries to take back the playground, he tells her to go away in a form of abuse. He comes across a seesaw and attempts to plank on it, little did they know, when the airplane passed out, a piece of "blue-ice" (A solid mixture of sewage and disinfectant) lands on the other side of the seesaw, launching him high into the air and he lands on the top crossbar of a swing set, which breaks his ribs and punctures his heart and lungs, causing him to die from massive internal bleeding. His girlfriend is left terrified.

What are the odds?

Depends on what exactly we’re computing.
The odds of the blue-ice landing somewhere on earth was 100%.
The odds of predicting before hand that a piece of blue-ice would land on the seasaw and catapult Chris into the swing set next to 0%.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
07-02-2017, 03:30 PM
(07-02-2017 03:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-02-2017 02:38 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  This is an amazing coincidence:

Waste Dead

What are the odds?

Depends on what exactly we’re computing.
The odds of predicting before hand that a piece of blue-ice would land on the seasaw and catapult Chris into the swing set next to 0%.

I love the show 1000 Ways To Die, if anyone thinks a god is in control of people's lives, just watch this show.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
07-02-2017, 03:43 PM
I recall a guy surviving getting shot because of an Altoids pack in his pocket.

Just as significant.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
07-02-2017, 03:47 PM
(07-02-2017 03:30 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(07-02-2017 03:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Depends on what exactly we’re computing.

I love the show 1000 Ways To Die, if anyone thinks a god is in control of people's lives, just watch this show.

There used to be a series of videos called, “Faces of Death”. Have you seen any of it? Real life snuff films of people doing the stupidest things like getting out of cars to photograph Grizzly bears and such.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce