Strange coincidences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2017, 03:57 PM
RE: Strange coincidences
(07-02-2017 03:47 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(07-02-2017 03:30 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I love the show 1000 Ways To Die, if anyone thinks a god is in control of people's lives, just watch this show.

There used to be a series of videos called, “Faces of Death”. Have you seen any of it? Real life snuff films of people doing the stupidest things like getting out of cars to photograph Grizzly bears and such.

I've seen snippets of it, not the whole movie.

Here's another pointless way to die:

Tongue Tied

A huge group of rich 20 year-olds wasted their trust funds on fashion items and muscle cars. Mike and Jade were the most extreme of the bunch, who had piercings on almost every part of their body. Jade wanted to show off her tongue ring. Mike and Jade began kissing in opposite cars while the rest drove the cars and watched. They would stop kissing when they came close to a stationery object. In this case, a forklift. When they were nearing it they attempted to stop kissing, but their tongue rings were tied and they were stuck kissing. The cars were going too fast to stop and the two forks of the forklift cleanly decapitated Mike and Jade's heads off. After Mike and Jade's bodies lost consciousnes, Jade's mother get out of here car and started crying over her daughter and Mike's demise.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2017, 04:00 PM
I propose we try a few different calibers and officially classify the protection offered by divine intervention.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that even God can't stop a .50.

'Murican Canadian
07-02-2017, 05:00 PM
(07-02-2017 03:43 PM)Loom Wrote:  I recall a guy surviving getting shot because of an Altoids pack in his pocket.

Just as significant.

Teddy Roosevelt survived an assassination attempt with the help of a 50-page manuscript (of a speech that he was about to give) that he had in his front pocket. He gave a shorter speech ("only" 90 minutes) before going to the hospital.

http://www.history.com/news/shot-in-the-...on-talking
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
07-02-2017, 05:44 PM
(07-02-2017 04:00 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I propose we try a few different calibers and officially classify the protection offered by divine intervention.

I bet he couldn't stop a .22 Short. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Consider the number of murders and massacers that have taken place in churches, mosques and temples throughout history. Against those you place one individual who lived because a thick book stopped a bullet. Sounds like god's awfully choosey about his friends.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
07-02-2017, 07:27 PM
(07-02-2017 05:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-02-2017 04:00 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I propose we try a few different calibers and officially classify the protection offered by divine intervention.

I bet he couldn't stop a .22 Short. Drinking Beverage

Now the gold plated inspiration for the Book of Mormon... That might have a little stopping power.

'Murican Canadian
07-02-2017, 07:40 PM
Why stop the bullet?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
08-02-2017, 06:36 AM
(07-02-2017 12:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The ones I find fascinating are simultaneous inventions. It's like technology advances through pimple pops of thought spraying everywhere.

I think the reality is much simpler.

Technological advances occur in clusters - because any truly new technology will have components of it's construction, or abilities in manufacture - than are themselves new.......

i.e. - new technology spawns other new technology.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-02-2017, 08:27 AM
(07-02-2017 12:27 PM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  Hello some other guy told me a story of a woman who survived a gunshot because her bible somehow stopted the bullets I don't know if the guy was lying but I have heard about some very strange coincidences. perhaps an explanation of why these things happen would be very fascinating. perhaps tell some ones you heard of yourself or experienced yourself.

Teddy Roosevelt was saved from assassination by his speech folded up in his pocket one time. Coincidences are just that, coincidences.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
08-02-2017, 08:38 AM
(08-02-2017 08:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(07-02-2017 12:27 PM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  Hello some other guy told me a story of a woman who survived a gunshot because her bible somehow stopted the bullets I don't know if the guy was lying but I have heard about some very strange coincidences. perhaps an explanation of why these things happen would be very fascinating. perhaps tell some ones you heard of yourself or experienced yourself.

Teddy Roosevelt was saved from assassination by his speech folded up in his pocket one time. Coincidences are just that, coincidences.

And he still delivered the speech Flex

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post