Strange coincidences

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2017, 08:39 AM
RE: Strange coincidences
(08-02-2017 08:38 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 08:27 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Teddy Roosevelt was saved from assassination by his speech folded up in his pocket one time. Coincidences are just that, coincidences.

And he still delivered the speech Flex

Yep. I don't think he felt too well afterwards but the tough bastard still gave the speech.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2017, 06:12 PM
(07-02-2017 12:27 PM)sneroul the thinker Wrote:  Hello some other guy told me a story of a woman who survived a gunshot because her bible somehow stopted the bullets I don't know if the guy was lying but I have heard about some very strange coincidences. perhaps an explanation of why these things happen would be very fascinating. perhaps tell some ones you heard of yourself or experienced yourself.
When I was studying at bible institute many moons ago the high school age daughter of one of my church's elders was standing on her back porch when some idiot discharged a gun in the next house. The bullet hit her in the back, exited her abdomen and dropped neatly into her pocket. In the process it passed through her liver but did not nick any major vessels and she did not bleed out before the doctors could patch her up. She was, basically, none the worse for wear.

She was, of course, one of countless thousands of young people who have been struck by stray bullets or caught in the crossfire of drive-by shootings. Some of them live, some of them die, some are permanently damaged. The details (bullet landing right in her pocket, traveling a non-fatal path) are interesting but the broad strokes of what happened to her are in no way unusual.

Of course her parents exulted in god's grace and mercy in "miraculously" seeing to it that the bullet did not kill her (somehow in the process forgetting that it would have been far more impressive if he had kept her from being hit AT ALL, or having it bounce harmlessly off her, similar to SuperGirl). But the reality is that she is simply one of the 62.7% (or whatever) of shooting victims who survive such shootings without permanent disability. This is a classic case of confirmation bias. Of imagining patterns and relationships that don't actually exist. Our brains are, after all pattern-matching engines. The more patterns we match the more predators / hazards we tend to evade. This is great for survival, not so great for reasoning.
12-02-2017, 08:09 PM
I find it weird that everyone here talks about god. Not gods.... Consider

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
13-02-2017, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2017 02:10 AM by Robvalue.)
Everything that ever happens is a "coincidence" when viewed from the right perspective. It's just about the significance people assign to things.

If you want to find out if something is more than coincidence, you need to approach it scientifically. This would usually involve some sort of statistical test. You can't possibly come to any conclusion just based on a single occurrence, especially if you've only been told about it and don't even know if it really happened.

Of course people who believe in an interventionist being are going to assign this meaning any chance they get. But it doesn't mean they are right. It usually means they are being tricked by confirmation bias in my experience. Humans in general seem extremely vulnerable to it. God stands by and lets people get shot and killed all the time.

Even if you look at it from a theistic perspective, it still makes no sense to me. God, as usually described, holds all the cards. He planned everything to the minutest detail. Someone firing a gun is part of his plan. But he decides at that point that he doesn't like his own plan, and so he intervenes to change it, so that the bullet is miraculously stopped by a bible. I think he has a hero complex. Like when a fireman starts fires himself so he can go save the day and get loads of praise. But with God, he only puts out a few of the fires he starts.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2017, 02:11 AM
(12-02-2017 08:09 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I find it weird that everyone here talks about god. Not gods.... Consider

Gods are certainly more fun than a god, but typically speaking, people aren't out there causing a ruckus for the sake of Zeus, Amun-Ra, or Odin. Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
22-02-2017, 07:08 AM
Coincidences?

That's all it is really. I've worked 23 years on the busiest Fire Dept in the state and needless to say I've seen some pretty strange things happen. Made a run on a vehicle accident on the freeway and when we arrived on scene this car was completely ripped in half straight down the middle from front to back. The man involved in the accident unbuckled his seatbelt and stepped out of the vehicle without having to open the door. I've seen people die from the most mundane things also but that would take up the entire forum.

The way I look at life is this: Life is just a series of events that you have zero control over. You may think you do but in reality you don't. Life is all about time and timing. You are either in the right place at the right time or the wrong place at the right time. Everything you do in life has a butterfly effect. Say you were leaving home but couldn't find your car keys which in turn delayed your departure for a few minutes. You get about five miles down the road and are involved in a accident that took your life. Had you not misplaced your car keys you would not have been in that situation because the timing wouldn't have been correct. So life is just a series of random events. Make the most of each day if you can. You aren't guaranteed time.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post