Strange dreams - looking for opinions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Strange dreams - looking for opinions
Before I get started I am not trying to use you people in place of doctors but I was looking to see what a scientific person might say. The following are real experiences that I have had:

- Every now and then I have this very strange dream where I feel like I've woken up but I can't open my eyes! In this state I feel paralyzed like I can't move. While I'm trying to wake up I suddenly think that I have in fact woken up and that I'm walking around - it seems very real. Suddenly moments later I wake up for real and I get scared thinking wow! I thought I was awake before.

- I sometimes have very intense dreams where I think I'm awake. I'm not talking about lucid dreams here where you know you're dreaming - I'm talking about a dream that's so real you think you're awake. I have recently gained the sensation of touch in these dreams which makes it even more unnerving. Like one time I put my hand on a table and I felt it! It actually felt solid!

- Another bizarre thing that I feel is somehow related to these dreams is that I have what I call "remote viewing" experiences. Yes I know I'm sounding crazy which is why I'm not telling this to a doctor. Sometimes when I'm sitting or laying down I have episodes where I feel like I'm seeing myself. For example suppose I'm laying down on the couch watching tv - I can "see" myself laying down watching tv. Not only that but if I move around I can see myself changing positions like I'm standing in front of myself. It seems very strange.

Now aside from the remote viewing I always have headaches when I have unusual dreams. When I wake up I feel like I have fluid in my ears. I have in fact have had sinus surgery before - I was already having those experiences before the surgery. I told my doctor once about some of my experiences and he did a CAT scan which he said turned up nothing. I dropped the matter after that but I still deal with these experiences. I didn't know if I should talk to a psychiatrist or not. Since I'm having headaches that does seem to suggest a physical basis. Other then these experiences bothering me they don't intrude on my waking life however sometimes I don't want to go to sleep because it seems scary not knowing if you're awake or dreaming. Now I chose to post on an atheist forum because all the dream forums are new age sites with mystical stuff I want to know what rational people think. Btw in case you are wondering I am an atheist. So what do you guys think? Anyone heard of this stuff before.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2014, 09:12 AM
RE: Strange dreams - looking for opinions
The first case sounds like sleep paralysis combined with a kind of a hallucination. Out-of-body experiences are generally considered hallucinations.

You might find this interesting:
http://www.iflscience.com/brain/brain-sc...experience

Having dreams that feel real is also very common. I often have dreams where I eat a lot and then wake up feeling full, or where someone touches me and I wake up with the actual feeling on my skin. It's nothing weird.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
12-03-2014, 09:49 AM
(12-03-2014 09:12 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  The first case sounds like sleep paralysis combined with a kind of a hallucination. Out-of-body experiences are generally considered hallucinations.

You might find this interesting:
http://www.iflscience.com/brain/brain-sc...experience

Having dreams that feel real is also very common. I often have dreams where I eat a lot and then wake up feeling full, or where someone touches me and I wake up with the actual feeling on my skin. It's nothing weird.

Yeah I actually changed my post not say OBE since that sounded more strange even though I suppose they're the same thing.
12-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Let me share a similar dream from childhood:

Before I went to have a nap in bed at noon, I was play FC games and my mother forced me to go to bed. So I said to myself I was going to indulge me in some serious game playing after I finished the nap. I went asleep. I woke up. I happily went to the bathroom and washed my face. I elatedly came back to the living room for my FC. Wait ! I noticed that I was still in my bed wrapped in the quilt. That's not right ! So I went back to my bed, kinda "jumped back onto" myself. And I was in the "paralyzed" situation as you described.

I then started to repeatedly move the smallest part of my body: finger tips. After a while, I was able to shake my hand. And then I was fully and truly awake.

------

From my superficial knowledge of psychology, I understand that dreams are useful. They solve problems on the subconscience level which you may not be able to get through when you are awake (wanted to play game, but actually wasn't able to for that moment).

So unless you are not going to see a psychiatrist who strictly practices Freud's theories to treat some serious mental conditions, you can be perfectly relaxed about your dreams. Even if you are, that psychiatrist, or Freud himself, is likely to say it is something about your needs, and very likely sexual ones.

Want something? Then do something.
15-03-2014, 12:24 AM
The first one sounds like sleep paralysis. The rest doesn't sound that strange to me. Does that headache only happen in sleep, but feel different than the headaches you would get while you're awake? You wake up and it's gone, right?

I've had a weird, painful headache myself at least twice as a teen during two of the three paralysis dreams I had had. I wasn't exactly non-believing at the time either, so I had accepted the dreams as a vision. I had a lot of migraines as a child, and know very well what a headache while awake feels like! Yet, when I tell someone else about the dream headache they think "Yeah right. B*"
17-03-2014, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2014 02:32 PM by john2.)
(15-03-2014 12:24 AM)Lienda Bella Wrote:  The first one sounds like sleep paralysis. The rest doesn't sound that strange to me. Does that headache only happen in sleep, but feel different than the headaches you would get while you're awake? You wake up and it's gone, right?

I've had a weird, painful headache myself at least twice as a teen during two of the three paralysis dreams I had had. I wasn't exactly non-believing at the time either, so I had accepted the dreams as a vision. I had a lot of migraines as a child, and know very well what a headache while awake feels like! Yet, when I tell someone else about the dream headache they think "Yeah right. B*"

The headache lasts for a few minutes after I've woken up. It starts to clear up though after I get up. Btw I also feel somewhat dizzy and lightheaded as well after such experiences. When waking up I also feel very lethargic and seems hard to move around at first. Also in the paralysis stage I feel like I have trouble breathing sometimes - like I'm literally gasping for air. Which is why I told a doctor about it before. After doing some research into sleep paralysis I have still to come across the breathing problem part.
17-03-2014, 03:19 PM
(17-03-2014 02:18 PM)john2 Wrote:  The headache lasts for a few minutes after I've woken up. It starts to clear up though after I get up. Btw I also feel somewhat dizzy and lightheaded as well after such experiences. When waking up I also feel very lethargic and seems hard to move around at first. Also in the paralysis stage I feel like I have trouble breathing sometimes - like I'm literally gasping for air. Which is why I told a doctor about it before. After doing some research into sleep paralysis I have still to come across the breathing problem part.

From what i know of REM sleep and dreams( which is not that much to honest) it sounds like the dizziness and mild headache are after affects of ISP, and the hormones released to keep you from acting out your dreams.

My advise though is to see a trained professional, as there may be a deeper underlying issue.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user