Strange fear, "what if someday I become a Theist again?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2013, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2013 08:46 PM by Lawls.)
Strange fear, "what if someday I become a Theist again?"
I'm a recently deconverted Christian, I left it about 2 months ago. I'm no stranger to anxiety. It's always been something that's troubled me, but I've been having this fear about possibly becoming a Theist again in the future, it terrifies me. I don't believe Christianity is true, and I'm ashamed I used to be a part of it, but now I'm worried that somehow in the future I'll go back to it. I hated the life I had inside religion, it was horrible, I NEVER want to go back. I know it's irrational to think that I'll become a Christian again in the future. But I can't help it, my anxiety's always been this way. Is there some kind of "unforgivable" thing in Christianity that I could do just so I know I could never go back? that would help a lot.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2013, 09:17 PM
RE: Strange fear, "what if someday I become a Theist again?"
People can be Christians in the privacy of their own homes, so I don't think seeking to be banished will do you much good. (Assuming I understood that "unforgivable" line. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Having faith is something that comes from within your own mind. If you understand that theism is detrimental to you, you have nothing to worry about. I wonder if maybe I'm just not understanding you thoroughly.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
22-11-2013, 09:26 PM
(22-11-2013 09:17 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  People can be Christians in the privacy of their own homes, so I don't think seeking to be banished will do you much good. (Assuming I understood that "unforgivable" line. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Having faith is something that comes from within your own mind. If you understand that theism is detrimental to you, you have nothing to worry about. I wonder if maybe I'm just not understanding you thoroughly.

I'm sorry if I was hard to understand, you got it right though. Yes theism is very detrimental to me, it's just been this thought troubling me. It might be because I had such bad experiences in religion, and I'm just fearing the worst.
22-11-2013, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once you see behind the curtain, there's not much chance of forgetting what you saw there (without loads of brain washing). Thumbsup

People used to laugh at me when I would say "I want to be a comedian". Well nobody is laughing now!

You can never lose a homing pigeon - if your homing pigeon doesn't come back, what you've lost is a pigeon.
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
22-11-2013, 09:46 PM
(22-11-2013 09:39 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once you see behind the curtain, there's not much chance of forgetting what you saw there (without loads of brain washing). Thumbsup

True as f**kThumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Lawls's post
22-11-2013, 09:48 PM
I'm very sorry you had such a bad experience, and apparently many other people have as well. The point is that you've seen the light (horrible pun, I know) and don't want to go back to it.

I'm pretty sure that even if you had some traumatic experience in the future, or some other situation that would cause you to want to return to religion, that you wouldn't. You know better now. You're fine. Smile

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 2 users Like Cephalotus's post
22-11-2013, 10:07 PM
(22-11-2013 08:36 PM)Lawls Wrote:  I know it's irrational to think that I'll become a Christian again in the future. But I can't help it, my anxiety's always been this way.

Is there some kind of "unforgivable" thing in Christianity that I could do just so I know I could never go back? that would help a lot.

You could kidnap three young women and keep them as slaves for... erm... no.

You could dash babies heads against rocks... no... wait.

You could refuse to bury your parents. No, not that either.

The is nothing bannishable under divine command theory except not believing.

There you go, you've already achieved it.

The pertinent question must be:

What would make you go back?

Can you make a list of reasons for falling back into 'faith'?

I'm sure people here can help you pick through that list.

Cheers
DLJ

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
22-11-2013, 10:09 PM
I think I understand...

I've often wondered how I'd react in a real life threatening situation... Would my critical faculties go AWOL and have me begging "he who does not exist" for forgiveness.

I'm sure I could rationalize it after, but things like that can be very distressing.

It happened to me a few weeks ago, I suddenly got that feeling of being watched... The thought flashed that it could be God watching me. I had a massive panic attack, until I realized it was probably just a combination of being drunk, tired and watching a documentary on Scientology that had given me the creeps.

This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree; but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom... - The Ghost of Christmas Present.
22-11-2013, 10:18 PM
(22-11-2013 10:07 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 08:36 PM)Lawls Wrote:  I know it's irrational to think that I'll become a Christian again in the future. But I can't help it, my anxiety's always been this way.

Is there some kind of "unforgivable" thing in Christianity that I could do just so I know I could never go back? that would help a lot.

You could kidnap three young women and keep them as slaves for... erm... no.

You could dash babies heads against rocks... no... wait.

You could refuse to bury your parents. No, not that either.

The is nothing bannishable under divine command theory except not believing.

There you go, you've already achieved it.

The pertinent question must be:

What would make you go back?

Can you make a list of reasons for falling back into 'faith'?

I'm sure people here can help you pick through that list.

Cheers
DLJ
That's why I said it was irrational, there are no reasons. My anxiety tends to make me always consider the worst.
22-11-2013, 10:27 PM
(22-11-2013 10:09 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  It happened to me a few weeks ago, I suddenly got that feeling of being watched... The thought flashed that it could be God watching me. I had a massive panic attack, until I realized it was probably just a combination of being drunk, tired and watching a documentary on Scientology that had given me the creeps.

I always assumed the feeling of being watched was our primate brains on the lookout for predators when we are at our most vulnerable. I've never feel scared/creeped out like that unless I'm out walking at night, under the influence of something mind altering, etc.

Btw, Scientology gives everyone the creeps. Wink You're fine, too.