Strange fear, "what if someday I become a Theist again?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2013, 11:44 PM
RE: Strange fear, "what if someday I become a Theist again?"
(22-11-2013 10:27 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 10:09 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  It happened to me a few weeks ago, I suddenly got that feeling of being watched... The thought flashed that it could be God watching me. I had a massive panic attack, until I realized it was probably just a combination of being drunk, tired and watching a documentary on Scientology that had given me the creeps.

I always assumed the feeling of being watched was our primate brains on the lookout for predators when we are at our most vulnerable. I've never feel scared/creeped out like that unless I'm out walking at night, under the influence of something mind altering, etc.

Btw, Scientology gives everyone the creeps. Wink You're fine, too.
yes, atheists, christians, muslims, jews, and the rest can all get together and laugh at scientologyTongue

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
29-11-2013, 12:46 AM
To a point, I totally understand this point. I recently deconverted as well, and now I see alot of things in the faith that disgust me, especially things I used to do. However, I have a fear that I'll lapse back into it just because I hit a rough spot and go to something familiar. I do not think that I will ever actually believe in Christianity again. I imagine I'll always have some desire to be a part of that community and such again, as well as the fact that a huge rift has been created due to my family being insanely Christian.

Its just something youre used to, a lifestyle, and its tough to break out of it. I know how you feel, and feel free to PM me if it'd make you feel better to talk. Just know you aren't alone.
[+] 1 user Likes Jasozz's post
29-11-2013, 01:25 AM
It's like knowing how a magic trick works. Once you know, you may be impressed with the skill of an illusionist's skill, but you can't be convinced it's "magic". You know lightning is not judgement from the gods. You know earthquakes are not a sign of god's displeasure. And you know god is a delusion. No need to worry. But, I do sympathize.

Science is dissecting the sacred cow.[Image: smartass.gif]
02-12-2013, 03:10 PM
(22-11-2013 08:36 PM)Lawls Wrote:  I'm a recently deconverted Christian, I left it about 2 months ago. I'm no stranger to anxiety. It's always been something that's troubled me, but I've been having this fear about possibly becoming a Theist again in the future, it terrifies me. I don't believe Christianity is true, and I'm ashamed I used to be a part of it, but now I'm worried that somehow in the future I'll go back to it. I hated the life I had inside religion, it was horrible, I NEVER want to go back. I know it's irrational to think that I'll become a Christian again in the future. But I can't help it, my anxiety's always been this way. Is there some kind of "unforgivable" thing in Christianity that I could do just so I know I could never go back? that would help a lot.

Being a theist is not the same as joining any organized religion. I don't think you need to worry about going back to your beliefs.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2013, 04:28 PM
I struggle with this a little because I suffered from psychosis and would assign spiritual meaning to mundane stuff. I've been very uncomfortable with the thought of becoming a believer again since it makes it easier for those psychotic ideas to come back again. Thankfully I have a psychiatrist I am seeing on a regular basis. Try to stay positive Lawls, the fear will eventually go away one day at a time

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
06-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Matthew 12
31 And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

But I'm sure you could still find a way around the "will not be forgiven" part if you really want to go back.